Page 44 of 171 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

With all of Ewing's reverence for continuity I'm curious if he'll actually bring back some of the weirder personalities: The Triad of Guardian, Glow and Demon who appeared in Mantlo's run but also appeared (briefly) in the Devil Hulk story where he trapped Banner in his own mind "For the Man who has everything" style. Maybe we'lll also see some other obscure personalities like the Guilt Hulk (Which often represents Brian Banner, and of course Brian is a big player in this series) and Kluh.

Kind of wonder which Hulk personas showed up in that image. I'm guessing the "Arm" is Joe, the biggest head is Devil and one of them is the Savage version.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-16-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of wonder which Hulk personas showed up in that image. I'm guessing the "Arm" is Joe, the biggest head is Devil and one of them is the Savage version.
    Yeah, same, I wonder which personas are represented. For me: Devil Hulk, Savage Hulk, controlled hulk, Worldbreaker Hulk, Savage Hulk.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

None of them represents personalities. Joe himself said each head was a homage to the greatest Hulk artists. This was the whole idea. Nothing more than that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    None of them represents personalities. Joe himself said each head was a homage to the greatest Hulk artists. This was the whole idea. Nothing more than that.
    Yeah, for Joe Bennett it was an hommage of Hulk artists. But one topic of this book is the multiple dissociative disorder of Bruce Banner. So, it's not a strech to think that, in-story, these heads represent different Hulk identities inside Banner. And it can be fun to debate what personas are represented in this panel, even if we are wrong.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Just asked him about this. Let's see what he says ( I hope so).

Btw, again, WorldBreaker isn't and has never been an incarnation/persona.

Mighty Member

What are some moments in Hulk's history that if not making you shed a tear at least put a lump in your throat? Or, another way to put it, poignant moments after the smashing.

These are some, but there are more. I particularly find it very sad when Banner gives up and a mindless Hulk takes place.

The final page of Hulk: The End always gets me too...

Considering the MPD theme being so heavy in this book, that's rather surprising. He even has at least 4+ arms implying multiple things trying to break apart. Maybe he means there were two layers: trhe intent was to show the multiple facets of the hulk ... but Joe decided it was the perfect time to focus on an homage rather than detailing specific hulks.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    What are some moments in Hulk's history that if not making you shed a tear at least put a lump in your throat? Or, another way to put it, poignant moments after the smashing.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    Considering the MPD theme being so heavy in this book, that's rather surprising. He even has at least 4+ arms implying multiple things trying to break apart. Maybe he means there were two layers: trhe intent was to show the multiple facets of the hulk ... but Joe decided it was the perfect time to focus on an homage rather than detailing specific hulks.
    I get it. Anyway, I am curious about Ewing's answer, because this could get interesting.

Think there's also more Grey Hulks hinted back in Paul Jenkins run, including one with a weird mustache.

One interesting thing that Dale Keown did with Fixit I think is that his version was very visibly different-less ugly and seemingly taller-than the Mcfarlane/Purves version. I think this was actually meant to serve the story, that the Hulk personas were "moving closer together" so Fixit was taking on more of Bruce's features. I think Betty even notes this in one issue.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    By "Worldbreaker", I think they mean the personality seen throughout Planet Hulk (the "Green Scar") and Pak's subsequent run, along with at the tail end (poat-Onslaught) of PAD's run. (I've also seen it called the "Gravage Hulk", intended to convey that it takes traits from both the GRAy Hulk/Joe Fixit and the saVAGE "Hulk Smash" Hulk but is distinct from both)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    Not to nitpick, but do we really count world breaker as its own personality? It never made sense to me, rather it was a moniker to recall that one time his rage got so intense he could break the world. But really it was just the same classic hulk we've always seen, no?
    Sanity basically summed it up best. Savage Hulk is much more “simple” and “childlike” whereas the Hulk in Planet Hulk was far more mature. I actually am recalling an issue where it was established that Worldbreaker is separate from Savage Hulk. Skaar wanted to fight his “true” father Worldbreaker and was frustrated with Savage Hulk being an idiot. However Banner refuses to let Worldbreaker Hulk out, this establishing that Worldbreaker was a separate entity.

Edit: Found it, Pak established that Savage and Worldbreaker were two separate personalities in Skaar: Son of Hulk issue 12
    9B036A89-855C-4175-A449-1C41A1A322F5.jpg
    8925D8E2-B3F4-49C7-8066-0F9EE22405E7.jpg
    0EAD33CF-CC15-4D90-AAC6-8D2BAA84DAFC.jpg
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-17-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Are the Green Scar and Worldbreaker personalities considered the same?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Green Scar might be considered an incarnation. As I've said more than once, WB is not an incarnation. It's simply the Hulk when there's nothing more to hold back his anger and he loses control, which could destroy everything. Any Hulk could go "worldbreaker".

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Are the Green Scar and Worldbreaker personalities considered the same?
    Those two are the same. Worldbreaker is just when Green Scar got so mad his power threatened to destroy planets.

Green Scar might be considered an incarnation. As I've said more than once, WB is not an incarnation. It's simply the Hulk when there's nothing more to hold back his anger and he loses control, which could destroy everything. Any Hulk could go "worldbreaker".
    You think so? Could Joe Fixit reach that state? He was always the weakest Hulk iirc. I also dimly recall something about Banner putting limits on how strong each Hulk incarnation could get.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-17-2019 at 10:52 AM.