Page 110 of 171 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 2556

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero89 View Post
    Listen, i am genuinely disappointed that we are going to have the next half a dozen chapters or so dedicated to Roxxon and Dario, as i said literally never found them interesting or threatening enough. I mean really, Hulk faces another brick? However if there is one guy that can make interesting and add a twist to it, it would be Al, so i am hoping that is the case. Maybe Dario messes with the forces of hell and it backfires.

But if that's not the case and he just turns out the be "beast of myth" that Metatron spoke off, that will be quite the letdown.
    No i said i don't like that Dario and Roxxon are involved, i have said multiple times that if i believe one writer nowadays can turn it into something interesting it's Ewing.

He isn't but he has dump a lot of Biblical exposition on us and personally i would love to see Hulk getting more involved with the whole Hell thing, it'd be cool to see the Beasts from the Old testament, maybe even the Leviathan itself and stuff like that.

The first couple of sentences is what I mean. You already cast doubt and you don't even know the story.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Izzy Nebula
    @IzzyNebs

@Al_Ewing Really enjoying Immortal Hulk, just making sure that there is no reason to worry about the double issue delay, that you get to tell your story

Al Ewing Writes Comics
    @Al_Ewing

In response to
    @IzzyNebs

No reason to worry. A lot of work going in on all sides - it'll be an issue to remember.

https://twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/...941573633?s=20

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    Skimming a book and actually reading it in order to get the full picture is two different things. He's nothing like you described, althought he could use more work.
    You say that, yet provide no evidence whatsoever.

Agger harassed Weapon H because he needed muscle to recover his Weirldworld project, kicking every dog along the way to get Weapon H to work for him. Only when Captain America became involved was Agger forced to change tactics, mainly because Cap could get him locked up ASAP.

Hell, his entire reason for being in the series was to recruit Weapon H to protect his exploitative project. And when Weapon H screwed him, Agger sicced Logan and Bruce on him (somehow).

So yeah. You say he's more than a modern, over the top Silver Age villain? Prove it. Because his entire reason for being in Weapon H was for money.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    You say that, yet provide no evidence whatsoever.

Agger harassed Weapon H because he needed muscle to recover his Weirldworld project, kicking every dog along the way to get Weapon H to work for him. Only when Captain America became involved was Agger forced to change tactics, mainly because Cap could get him locked up ASAP.

Hell, his entire reason for being in the series was to recruit Weapon H to protect his exploitative project. And when Weapon H screwed him, Agger sicced Logan and Bruce on him (somehow).

So yeah. You say he's more than a modern, over the top Silver Age villain? Prove it. Because his entire reason for being in Weapon H was for money.
    Evidence for what? The only thing I've stated is that Agger is not the character you stated he is. He is far from over the top. Read the issues. You skimmed them.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

No spoilers for Immortal Hulk #22 so far! That's interesting (and unusual).

Just read #22! Basically no one can do a buildup like Ewing!

"Knock. Knock."

spoilers:
    Some interesting points:

1. Walter still is dead. On the other hand, Samson came back even faster than before.

2. It was great to see Joe taking control when Banner can't deal with a hard situation (it seems). His interaction with Jackie, and the the theories about their relationship with her were fantastic.

3. Rick does remember everything they've done to him. He came back, for the first time, almost as Gamma energy being and he knew exactly where Shadow Base is located.

4. The Gamma Flight have been an awesome cast; they are perfect for this book.

5. The art! Just look at the spread page showing Fortean and his soldiers circling around Gamma Flight and the last page!
    end of spoilers

Waiting until #23 will be even harder.

Fantastic Member

The first couple of sentences is what I mean. You already cast doubt and you don't even know the story.
    Because i don't like Roxxon and Dario, i already explained this. I don't find them interesting or compelling and i am not looking forward too much to them taking up several IH issues, I'd rather Hulk go after something more interesting, something Al has been building up for quite some time. The whole Dario/Roxxon thing feels like it comes out of nowhere.

Because i don't like Roxxon and Dario, i already explained this. I don't find them interesting or compelling and i am not looking forward too much to them taking up several IH issues, I'd rather Hulk go after something more interesting, something Al has been building up for quite some time. The whole Dario/Roxxon thing feels like it comes out of nowhere.
    What's uninteresting about the Hulk fighting a monster, powered by mystical energies, who happens to be the head of the most powerful corporation on the planet, that was last trying to enter other dimensions in order to exploit their extradimensional energies. I don't know where you are coming from, but this is what classic Marvel Comics stories were like.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Just read it. While I think it's better than the last issue, you can tell Ewing is being hindered by the latest crossovers. So much so he dedicated most of the first half of the comic just having the characters lounge around but I actually dig these sorta slice-of-life moments and it gives some explanation as to where the Monster Gang went and how they found Shadow Base. But once again, the solicitations are misleading. The actual "storming of Shadow Base" doesn't happen until the end of the issue and it's literally only a couple of pages (but that Hulk entrance was pretty sick, not gonna lie). Hopefully the pacing improves now that we're out of "filler" territory.

Fantastic Member

What's uninteresting about the Hulk fighting a monster, powered by mystical energies, who happens to be the head of the most powerful corporation on the planet, that was last trying to enter other dimensions in order to exploit their extradimensional energies. I don't know where you are coming from, but this is what classic Marvel Comics stories were like.
    What's uninteresting is that you could add all those epitaphs to Dario and it still doesn't make him interesting, he is one-dimensional, he messed with "mystical energies" oh wow so has half the Marvel at some point. When we get to Dario we'll have just finished beating up an Evil corporation head by a villain that messed with "mystical energies", so i am not stoked about having a repeat. Dario is also by himself not really a challenge for the Hulk, he is just another brick that's weaker than Hulk in every regard. Al understood this with Abomination which is why he gave him that acid attack, hopefully he does something similar with Dario.

Fantastic Member

Anyway the issue was good, i really liked it, the one moment that felt out of place is Joe Fixit talking about trans people, Al just had another moment like the one he had back when Jackie was talking to Hulk about white privilege in Hell... Can we honestly just move on from stuff like that? It's really weird to see it in a Hulk book and having actual Hulks themselves discuss it. I mean i feel like this is the only time Al is not characterizing stuff right. Let's be honest Fixit is a douchebag, he is a 30's/40's mob boss type, does anyone really think he would be up for trans rights? What's next Maestro is advocating for gay marriage? I am btw not saying this because i am against trans people or their rights, quite the contrary, cause i think Al is just white-washing things here. At the very most Hulk wouldn't give a damn about stuff like this and would be indifferent, at the worst some would be douchebags about it.

Anyway overall a good issue, although unfortunately i have to see it felt like filler issue and as others have pointed out it's mostly because Al is hindered by the various crossovers, the next issue should kick stuff into high gear though.

Amazing Member

Anyway the issue was good, i really liked it, the one moment that felt out of place is Joe Fixit talking about trans people, Al just had another moment like the one he had back when Jackie was talking to Hulk about white privilege in Hell... Can we honestly just move on from stuff like that?
    The political commentary is the only weakness of this book -- and I'm not saying that because I disagree with it! It's just pandering and, like you say, is out of place. Worse, in some ways it undermines itself (like the anti-gun message of the initial story that referenced a "safety" on what clearly was a revolver; that's just ignorance about the subject matter and goes a long way to invalidating the opinion of the writer).

Anyway, I love this book and regardless of how much I may personally agree with the opinions underlying this subtle commentary, it comes across as contrived and definitely out of place. (You are 100% right that Joe should probably be an anti-trans a**hole if anything.) I think they are hurting their social arguments rather than helping them by including it.

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

Anyway the issue was good, i really liked it, the one moment that felt out of place is Joe Fixit talking about trans people, Al just had another moment like the one he had back when Jackie was talking to Hulk about white privilege in Hell... Can we honestly just move on from stuff like that? It's really weird to see it in a Hulk book and having actual Hulks themselves discuss it. I mean i feel like this is the only time Al is not characterizing stuff right. Let's be honest Fixit is a douchebag, he is a 30's/40's mob boss type, does anyone really think he would be up for trans rights? What's next Maestro is advocating for gay marriage? I am btw not saying this because i am against trans people or their rights, quite the contrary, cause i think Al is just white-washing things here. At the very most Hulk wouldn't give a damn about stuff like this and would be indifferent, at the worst some would be douchebags about it.

Anyway overall a good issue, although unfortunately i have to see it felt like filler issue and as others have pointed out it's mostly because Al is hindered by the various crossovers, the next issue should kick stuff into high gear though.
    I think Joe, as well as every other personality jumping around in Bruce's head, can relate to the problem of having to hid a part or all of themselves. Joe even states "I GET that ... Folks wanting to be themselves...". I think its a topic that fits right in with a Hulk book, especially for one with one of its themes being about control.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by madeforTV View Post
    The political commentary is the only weakness of this book -- and I'm not saying that because I disagree with it! It's just pandering and, like you say, is out of place. Worse, in some ways it undermines itself (like the anti-gun message of the initial story that referenced a "safety" on what clearly was a revolver; that's just ignorance about the subject matter and goes a long way to invalidating the opinion of the writer).

Anyway, I love this book and regardless of how much I may personally agree with the opinions underlying this subtle commentary, it comes across as contrived and definitely out of place. (You are 100% right that Joe should probably be an anti-trans a**hole if anything.) I think they are hurting their social arguments rather than helping them by including it.
    It's a really odd thing and honestly so far i agree with all the messaging for the most part. I am pro stricter gun laws, i obviously understand that white people are more privileged in some way than black people, i am 100% for trans rights but it's all done so clumsily and quickly, it feels like Al is just pandering to his circle of friends that also read his comics. Like if we go into broader discussions as you mentioned talking about safeties on revolvers, comparing white and black privelage when discussing the Hulk(like anyone not going after Hulk about something is doing it because of Banners white privilege and not the fact that they are scared shittless of going after the Hulk himself) and now having a persona of Hulk that is actually an *******, like Joe is pretty close to a real mobster he is a douchebag, a killer, sometimes even a sadist, i don't think he would have favorable opinions on trans people tbh, that felt just like Al projecting.
    Last edited by Subzero89; 08-07-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sensational C View Post
    I think Joe, as well as every other personality jumping around in Bruce's head, can relate to the problem of having to hid a part or all of themselves. Joe even states "I GET that ... Folks wanting to be themselves...". I think its a topic that fits right in with a Hulk book, especially for one with one of its themes being about control.
    Sure but that's not the problem here, the problem is Joe is a douchebag, he is a stereotype of a 30's mob boss. He'd never have favorable opinions on trans people, in fact quite the opposite and in general it is just weird having Hulk even talk about trans stuff. This all feels so out of place in a Hulk comic centered around horror.

The problem is people think just because some problems are relatable in some way that means everyone has a positive view on each other and supports one another, that is often not the case. Maestro is in the same boat as every other Hulk and he is a genocidal, rapist, dictatorial maniac and so are a few other Hulk personas. But because they are all just trapped in Banners head i guess that means they can relate to the struggles of others? No.... that's just not the case.