Page 112 of 171 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 2556

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero89 View Post
    Those are not "official Marvel statements", it's just a entry in wiki when you have characters that haven't been around for long so it's possible their abilities and history can be updated, you are actually basing all of this on what might or might not happen, as it stands we can only judge Dario by what we saw of him.

What do you want me to show you? Look at his fights in Thor and Weapon H, he fights like a classic brick and hasn't shown anything apart from that.
    The site references the comics as the official source material. Dario's power comes from a "Dark God," which even impressed Malekith.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    The site references the comics as the official source material. Dario's power comes from a "Dark God," which even impressed Malekith.
    Cool, maybe he will impress me too if he ever makes a reference to it in Immortal Hulk and actually shows me what does that "Dark God" do for him.

Mighty Member

It was for me the weakest issue, but it was still good.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero89 View Post
    Let's be honest Fixit is a douchebag, he is a 30's/40's mob boss type, does anyone really think he would be up for trans rights? What's next Maestro is advocating for gay marriage? I am btw not saying this because i am against trans people or their rights, quite the contrary, cause i think Al is just white-washing things here.
    While there was a bit of political preaching, I think you let it blind you a bit. Joe didn't really care that much for the trans-rights (though hes fine with everyone being themselves), as much as he loved the discourse of vitriolic diatribe the conversation sowed. That seemed a very clever way to make his statement and yet still keep Joe "on brand". It was one thing to be yourself, quite another to be it and piss off the world, and he respected that. I thought that was a clever way to pull it in.

I will agree with the white privilege statement, though. Hulk was simply the wrong character to make that statement with.
    Last edited by GrandEleven; 08-07-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    While there was a bit of political preaching, I think you let it blind you a bit. Joe didn't really care that much for the trans-rights (though hes fine with everyone being themselves), as much as he loved the discourse the conversation sowed. That seemed a very clever way to make his statement and yet still keep Joe "on brand".
    I tried to see it more that way too, it's still weird. Like i can't imagine Fixit reading an article on trans rights and giving a hoot about any of it. And i think that approach would have been more in Fixits character, if he like read the article and then just said "i didn't care much about that stuff but the angry comments made me laugh", something like that. I think that would have been probably the most charitable interpretation to give him, indifference. Because in reality a 30's era mob boss would in best case just be an ******* about the whole thing, in worst case would probably want to see people like that dead... Which is why i think it would have been better if Al never brought it up like he did, it felt out of place the same way Jackie preaching to Hulk about white privilege while they are in the middle of Hell.

Roxxon has strong ties to the first Alpha Flight series. Seeing as there are two original members as part of the cast, I'm curious if the connection will even be referenced?

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

This issue seemed to have less meat than the other issues do, but I still thoroughly enjoy it.

As for Agger and Roxxon, this actually really excites me.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

In the next issues, there'll be so much action. Can't wait to what happens when the battle ends!

Fantastic Member

In the end, Fixit is not a 30s mob boss.. it's essentially a teenager's idea (Bruce) of what a suave, tough guy is.

And it's even established in this issue, Joe is growing. Contrast his earlier appearances (PAD) where he loathed the day, never would have dreamed of saying something like "I think we're startin' to get along" and even nickname himself Sunshine Joe. If you feel it's out of character, consider the personalities can grow and evolve over time.

I mean, Joe steps in when Bruce has trouble accepting that his wife is refusing to talk to him and "wearing" the Harpy as a way to keep him at a distance. So Joe steps in, tries to smooth things over (recall how Fixit managed to connect with Betty during PAD's run). Joe's a thinker and it'd make sense he'd try to get info on his travelling companions. And how else is he going to get to know her -- her articles. It just makes sense to me. He sees her as a kindred spirit as someone who looks out at the world, doesn't like what they see and tries to change it. It's just different ways and means of being able to accomplish that desire for change.

I remember when Jackie first said she wanted to be like the Hulk I was one of the few saying it wasn't about becoming a literal Hulk but the power and ability to do whatever he wants. I didn't go so far as to say white privilege but it makes sense for a black character to say so. Again, it's kind of ham fisted, but in context of the story and characters it makes sense. It's not COMPLETELY out of the blue. I understand the desire not to get this stuff in comics when you get it all the time, but again it worked for me and happens so little it doesn't bother me as much.

Contrast this to what it must be like to write Captain America or Black Panther -- characters who are intrinsically tied to issues. How much do you lean into it and rely on it or do you let it spill out organically through characters and sprinkle it little at a time. It's why Secret Empire was so hacky for a lot of people. It's not like Joe looked at the camera and said he's ready to start marching on Washington, he was trying to relate to another character on a level that is important to THEM. But since it's through a teenager's idea of someone cool it's not exactly done tactfully. I mean, Joe excitedly changes the topic to internet comments and tries to butter her up further by saying what he thinks is awesome.

I guess what I'm saying is Ewing has earned the benefit of a doubt for me, given that he's got a LOT of subtle stuff throughout his run. I don't think it's 100% doing the Social Justice Warrior thing. I'm not saying it isn't either, but it's done in a way that makes sense and provided it doesn't happen all the time, it's fine for me.
    Last edited by Cth; 08-08-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    In the end, Fixit is not a 30s mob boss.. it's essentially a teenager's idea (Bruce) of what a suave, tough guy is.
    He isn't literally one obviously, but he acts and thinks like one, even talks like one.

Honestly the more people talk about this the more i think about that part of the issue and the less and less i like the issue, so let's just drop the whole thing because me thinking that the part itself felt out of place wont change any time soon.

Now as for the next issue, i really hope the next issue is more action packed. Immortal Hulk is awesome but the action/fights are a bit lacking, they are too short and don't feel as meaty as a Hulk fight should feel.

While I've enjoyed the issue and thought it was cool to see Joe Fixit manifest through Banner's body again, I agree he seems a bit different than how Peter David wrote him. I also wonder why he is being paired opposite the Bruce personality, while Devil/Maestro is being paired opposite Savage-Childlike Hulk?
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Will Bruce and Betty ever work things out?

I know almost nothing about their history in the comics.
    Baby Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    Will Bruce and Betty ever work things out?

I know almost nothing about their history in the comics.
    This is the most adorably naive comment of this board....and the avatar is perfect....
    The answer is...COMPLICATED...to say the least...finindg something more messed up in Marvel Universe you've to look at Matt "eff my romantic life" Murdock and his surviving fiancees(the insane mutant, the socipathic undead greek ninja, and the russina superspy with very odd personality quirks if ir ecall correctly).
    Betty and Bruce are good second...this is not even the first time they actively tried to kill each other....oddly enough Hulk had much better chemistry with Caiera(Bruce was a kind of wingman there..)..
    Yeah complicated as i said...

Both Caiera and Jarella were better love interests in my opinion. Always thought Bettty was better of dead/married to Glen Talbot.

Originally Jarella was going to come back to life in a new, more powerful form. How Hulk's history would be if they filled up on that would be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    While I've enjoyed the issue and thought it was cool to see Joe Fixit manifest through Banner's body again, I agree he seems a bit different than how Peter David wrote him. I also wonder why he is being paired opposite the Bruce personality, while Devil/Maestro is being paired opposite Savage-Childlike Hulk?
    Savage Hulk wouldn't do much good in Banner's body as we've seen. Also he just kind of busts out.

Fixit seems to be handling what Banner can't right now. He's a clever bastard so he can do things with Banner's body that Banner lacks the mentality to do.

(I the took over for long enough, I wonder if we'd get a buffed out, full thug Banner?)

My theory with the Fixit/Banner dynamic is that Joe Fixit represents the stereotypical "alpha male" (I hate the term) that Bruce both despises, and yet wants to be.

Joe is vindictive, has loose morals, and is a jerk, BUT he's tough, he's cool, and isn't afraid to go after what he wants.

Joe in turn resents "Devil Daddy", and "The Big Guy" the former because his authority, and the latter because despite everything Joe says about the Savage, Greenie could whoop Joe's gray ass in a second and he knows it.

I do wonder what they'd think of the Green Scar? Maybe he can only exist when Joe Fixit and the Savage are United?