Page 36 of 171 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast
    Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    I've been reading since the early 70s and you say iconic, I say toxic.

Both have been apart from each other multiple times and seen other people. They've died. They've had kids with other people. They've tried to kill one another. Etc, etc.

Does this sound healthy?

I realize it's the nature of soap opera/serialized comics, but at what point do you say, "Y'know, I care about you but we're just not good for one another"

Besides, I always thought it was a missed opportunity with Kate Waynesboro.

Without splitting Betty and Bruce up, we'd never have Jarella, Caiera, Kate, etc. And there's been lots of good storylines revolving around them.
    Couldn't have said it better, Cth. Toxic is a good term to describe it.

But it's ok, there are quite a few people who don't enjoy brilliant writing.

I recently just caught up with the Immortal Hulk book, and I have to say, this is the most I've enjoyed Hulk in a long time. Great book, great art. I always love when Hulk is treated in a more horror style story.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Annual Hulk #8
    Cover Date: 1979
    Sale Date: August 21st, 1979
    Writer: Roger Stern & John Byrne
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Inker: Alfredo Alcala
    Letterer: Jim Novak
    Colorist: George Roussos
    Editor: Al Milgrom

“Sasquatch!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Maureen Friesen
    Antagonist: Walter Langkowski (Sasquatch)
    Synopsis: Following the events from HULK #237, the Hulk was launched into the sky by Machine Man, and has crashed in Northeastern British Columbia. The shock from the impact startles a woman named Maureen, who then finds the unconscious brute’s head buried in the crater rubble. She panics, fearing that he will suffocate and spends the rest of the night digging him out. At sunrise, the Hulk awakens but mistakes her deeds for something else. Maureen panics and runs, twisting her ankle in the process. She hastily explains what she had done and the Hulk declares her to be a friend and carries her back to her cabin. Over in Ottawa, member of Department H have decided to send out Sasquatch of Alpha Flight to try and apprehend the Hulk. Back at Maureen’s cabin, the Hulk has relaxed enough to finally transform back into Bruce Banner. After a mild panic attack about the circumstances, Banner and Maureen become friendly. We find out that her husband is an Army doctor and went to the nearby town to deliver a baby. Her pet cat casually strolls out, prompting her to go after him. Banner mulls over his situation, when he’s interrupted by a scream and finds Maureen in the hands of Sasquatch. Words are exchanged and the Hulk emerges, prompting a battle. By issues end, Sasquatch realizes his mistake, the Hulk’s rage scares his friend Maureen and a saddened Hulk leaps away.

Commentary: Bruce Banner is back! Canon-wise, this takes place between issues #237 and #238. So the events between issues #227 to this issue is at least a week’s time in Marvel-time. Sasquatch was nicely rendered by Buscema and Alcala. For me personally though, nobody can touch this character artistically but John Byrne and Jim Lee.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Couldn't have said it better, Cth. Toxic is a good term to describe it.

But it's ok, there are quite a few people who don't enjoy brilliant writing.
    "brilliant" writing is a matter of subjective opinion. I don't care if I'm in the minority with this title, my opinions and tastes are my own. Not once did I say it was bad, but it isn't brilliant. If people don't appreciate what you like, that doesn't mean they're wrong.

I grew up on things that portrayed Bruce and Betty's relationship positively. To me, heroes who can't keep it together aren't heroes. They're not figures of tragedy, they're just pathetic and unlikable.

Both have been apart from each other multiple times and seen other people. They've died. They've had kids with other people. They've tried to kill one another. Etc, etc.

Does this sound healthy?
    Sounds like s*it writing and OOC moments that I wish could be erased. It also sounds like a challenge both could overcome, and have done so in the past. I'd be interested in how they put all that behind them and fashion a future together...something inspirational. Something people can look to to better the troubles in their own lives.

Everyone knows who Bruce and Betty are, and how they're portrayed in the mainline stuff. And it's always as a tragic but courageously strong pairing. It's always going to come down to those two, it'd be nice if it the cycle wasn't so vicious.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-21-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I recently just caught up with the Immortal Hulk book, and I have to say, this is the most I've enjoyed Hulk in a long time. Great book, great art. I always love when Hulk is treated in a more horror style story.
    Yeah, brilliant writing and art! A horror Hulk book was long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post

Incredible Annual Hulk #8
    Cover Date: 1979
    Sale Date: August 21st, 1979
    Writer: Roger Stern & John Byrne
    Inker: Alfredo Alcala
    Colorist: George Roussos

“Sasquatch!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Maureen Friesen
    Antagonist: Walter Langkowski (Sasquatch)
    Synopsis: Following the events from HULK #237, the Hulk was launched into the sky by Machine Man, and has crashed in Northeastern British Columbia. The shock from the impact startles a woman named Maureen, who then finds the unconscious brute’s head buried in the crater rubble. She panics, fearing that he will suffocate and spends the rest of the night digging him out. At sunrise, the Hulk awakens but mistakes her deeds for something else. Maureen panics and runs, twisting her ankle in the process. She hastily explains what she had done and the Hulk declares her to be a friend and carries her back to her cabin. Over in Ottawa, member of Department H have decided to send out Sasquatch of Alpha Flight to try and apprehend the Hulk. Back at Maureen’s cabin, the Hulk has relaxed enough to finally transform back into Bruce Banner. After a mild panic attack about the circumstances, Banner and Maureen become friendly. We find out that her husband is an Army doctor and went to the nearby town to deliver a baby. Her pet cat casually strolls out, prompting her to go after him. Banner mulls over his situation, when he’s interrupted by a scream and finds Maureen in the hands of Sasquatch. Words are exchanged and the Hulk emerges, prompting a battle. By issues end, Sasquatch realizes his mistake, the Hulk’s rage scares his friend Maureen and a saddened Hulk leaps away.

Commentary: Bruce Banner is back! Canon-wise, this takes place between issues #237 and #238. So the events between issues #227 to this issue is at least a week’s time in Marvel-time. Sasquatch was nicely rendered by Buscema and Alcala. For me personally though, nobody can touch this character artistically but John Byrne and Jim Lee.

That last pic I think was from the storyline/change that had Walter in Snowbird's body (and using her sasquatch form) I think.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I know Bruce has had kids with Caera, but I don't recall Betty having any kids with Talbot, Samson etc., just the one she almost had with Bruce. (and then of course there's the What Savage Beast novel, which is worth a look for any Hulk fan-it's written by Peter David, features some nice chapter artwork by George Perez etc. It's sort of a What if? although I'm wondering if PAD wanted to take the comic in that direction but ONSLAUGHT and editorial wanting the Hulk to become more savage again derailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    That last pic I think was from the storyline/change that had Walter in Snowbird's body (and using her sasquatch form) I think.
    Yep. Snowbird was killed in AF #44, and Walt's spirit took over in issue #45. Mantlo pretty much dismantled what was left of the original team by issue #50 and trimmed the team down to a trio with some younger recruits starting with #51 (and Jim Lee's first published work!).
    I was trying to find a better pic of "Wanda" Langkowski, but the best Google had to offer was this one from issue #55, where she went up against the Great Beasts. I followed up thru #56, managed to find a few issues here and there, and dropped completely with #64. Years later, when I managed to complete the entire series, I remembered why I gave up after Mantlo left. WOOF!

Incredible Hulk #242
    Cover Date: December 1979
    Sale Date: September 18th, 1979
    Writer: Roger Stern
    Colorist: Glynis Wein

“Sic Semper Tyrannus!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Tulak, Goldbug.
    Villain: Tyrannus
    Synopsis: Tyrannus sits atop the rubble of the Temple of the Flame, declaring his control of the Flame of Life as the Hulk rages below that he will stop him. A battle ensues, and Tyrannus gains the upper hand as he incapacitates the Hulk with a Brain Mine. Tyrannus then fits himself with a harness that allows him full control over the flame and murders Tulak as an example of what will happen to those who defy him. Goldbug manages to break free and remove the Brain Mine from the Hulk and the two resume their battle. Knowing he’s outmatched, Tyrannus merges with the Flame completely. Unfazed, the Hulk tears at the tower containing the fire and it explodes…

Commentary: Harsh words from the Hulk when he states he wants to see what happens to the machines when he smashes Tyrannus. Stern’s Hulk is cut from a meaner cloth…

Anyone find it odd that with Betty, Samson, and Rick all being back that this horror story involving Gamma Radiation based characters has done nothing to effect Amadeus? I mean I know he’s busy with the Champions and maybe doing horror stuff to him would be bad branding or whatever but I feel as someone who seems currently stuck in Gamma mode he should be appearing.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Anyone find it odd that with Betty, Samson, and Rick all being back that this horror story involving Gamma Radiation based characters has done nothing to effect Amadeus? I mean I know he’s busy with the Champions and maybe doing horror stuff to him would be bad branding or whatever but I feel as someone who seems currently stuck in Gamma mode he should be appearing.
    The tone is too different, and probably Ewing bring him in the future. However, the 3 you've mentioned are, not only closer to Banner, but also characters with decades of history in the gamma world. And most important: they came back from death, and that's where the horror tone enters.

BANNED

maybe zub should've killed him during the mephisto shenanigans?

then ewing will say he came back to life because he was gamma and not because of anything else.

Incredible Hulk #243
    Cover Date: January 1980
    Sale Date: October 16th, 1979
    Writer: Roger Stern
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Wein

“Death – and Destiny!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Goldbug, Luke Cage, Danny Rand, Fred Sloan, Trish Starr, Betty Ross, Clay Quartermain, Colonel Glenn Talbot, Captain Bowman, Dr. Maxwell, and Lt. Perrywinkle
    Villain: Tyrannus
    Synopsis: Open to the Hulk and Goldbug sailing thru the air, after the Hulk had torn open the containment housing that holds the Flame of Life, which has now merged with the Hulk’s old nemesis Tyrannus. They land safely and the Hulk resumes his attack, ripping the tower further and catapulting Tyrannus into space. Goldbug tries convincing the Hulk to escape the ruined city, but all he does is renew his anger as he remembers that this whole situation started with the Goldbug’s machinations. During his tantrum, he trips an electronic eye that transports the duo back to New York City. Goldbug makes a run for it but runs into Power Man and Iron Fist, while the Hulk leaps away. Cut to San Fransisco, where we see Fred Sloan interviewing Betty Ross. Trish Starr interrupts to let him know that he’s scheduled to be on the Mike Douglas Show as a guest, along with Rick Jones. We then get a two-page spread on the events that the Hulk will be going thru in a handful of issues of the Defenders and Daredevil. We close to find out that Glenn Talbot has been promoted to Colonel, and taken over as commander of Gamma Base…and his first task is to stop the Hulk any way he can.

Commentary: Upcoming projects force Stern off the title and he hands over the book to Bill Mantlo. Welcome back a newly-promoted Glenn Talbot and say goodbye to Clay Quartermain. Poor Clay wasn’t really used properly since issue #199, and we won’t see him for several years when Byrne takes over in `85/86. Talbot will take over as the Hulk’s military antagonist for the next few issues.

Cho has three gamma forms too-a sort of leader like one from World War Hulks and the later "Totally Awesome" in addition to the current look.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Because the vast majority of Hulk fans loathed/hated Totally Awesome Hulk almost as much as they despised Jason Aaron's garbage run on the Green Goliath. And, to be quite honest, his presence is not wanted nor needed.