Page 98 of 171 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2556

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero89 View Post
    Yea i hated Waids Indestructible Hulk run too. I think he missed the character completely and it was obvious he wasn't a big fan of Hulk. Actually since Pak left Hulk in 2011, we have had some crappy series. I hated the most Aarons take on Hulk that was just atrocious with some of the worst artwork i have EVER seen. Wasn't a big fan of Doc Green either.

I feel so lucky that we finally got a writer that actually respects Hulks lore a lot and is quite knowledgeable about the character. Couldn't be happier. Can't wait to see who we get in the future, it's likely going to be Cates since he expressed a desire to write the Hulk, but even though he is an exclusively DC guy i kinda wanna see Snyder do his Hulk story that he already has planned out, it's supposedly also a horror story it was called Hulk: Smash everything IIRC.
    Well, I hope Al will be on the book indefinitely. We haven't seen a writer that knows how to write Hulk and other Gamma characters correctly since the times of Greg Pak and Jeff Parker. Al needs to give us at the vey least, a good 8 year run. Marvel ruined Greg Pak's momentum when they bought in Jeph Loeb's Red Hulk book and probably destroyed his opportunityto give us an even greater run than he did. Ewing has put in too much research into the character to just give us a few years of story.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 07-24-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

He probably got some harassment i mean it's the internet... but i actually remember reading his Indestructible Hulk then and the things he most complained about were people pointing out certain inaccuracies in his run, which happens when you really don't spend the time to read up on Hulks history. He also had weird ideas he tried to justify in dumb ways... like when Banner got shot and he had Hulk run around with an open skull, everyone pointed out to him, shouldn't Hulk heal from it but he said well even broken bones need to be placed properly otherwise they will heal incorrectly... which is like what??? That's not how Hulks healing works... Worse yet is PAD did this same idea when Banner got hit by a bomb and had shrapnel stuck in his brain and because of that shrapnel still being in his brain Hulk was a bit crazy, but then again i doubt Waid ever read that story. When everyone was asking him to show "Green Scar" or as some called him "Gladiator" Hulk, he took it literally and showed Hulk in a traditional gladiator armor acting completely oppositely of Green Scar lol.
    All I remember is that he kept bringing up Superman in every interview. I mean I get it, he's a big Superman fan, but he wasn't writing Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    Well, I hope Al will be on the book indefinitely. We haven't seen a writer that knows how to write Hulk and other Gamma characters correctly since the times of Greg Pak and Jeff Parker. Al needs to give us at the vey least, a good 8 year run. Marvel ruined Greg Pak's momentum when they bought in Jeph Loeb's Red Hulk book and probably destroyed his opportunityto give us an even greater run than he did. Ewing has put in too much research into the character to just give us a few years of story.
    I would agreem mostly, but with the caveat that when Ewing is ready to stop, he shouldn't be pressured to do more.

Fantastic Member

There is a part of me that wants to see Al stay on this book until his retirement. But at the same time i can understand that he isn't a bottomless well of ideas. He himself has expressed many times that he has long term plans but that once he finishes his story and doesn't have anything more to tell he will give the reigns to someone else. I think as it stands we are looking at least another good 2-3 years with Al, maybe more if we are lucky. And maybe if we are really lucky he does an event right after he is done with Hulk, it would be a shame it seems every writer who does well with a character gets to do an event specific to that character.

After that i can only hope that he has left enough of a impact and has inspired whichever writer comes next to do Hulk actual justice. He has said in his last interview that he hopes issue 25 of Immortal Hulk helps other writers break out of their shells and explore their creativity to the max, not being constrained too much with the editorial and stuff.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    All I remember is that he kept bringing up Superman in every interview. I mean I get it, he's a big Superman fan, but he wasn't writing Superman.
    That's true, Superman is his favorite superhero ever. You can tell just how much he is missing his time writing back on DC, i really never saw him as a Marvel guy, which is why i don't know why they gave him such an important book to write as History of the Marvel universe. He definitely misses writing Superman, so much so that he just recently gave Gladiator a massive PIS feat in current Doctor Strange run and i am 99% convinced he was envisioning writing Superman as he wrote that feat, Kallark being one of the closest things Marvel has to Superman, down to his name Kal-El/Clark = Kallark.

There is a part of me that wants to see Al stay on this book until his retirement. But at the same time i can understand that he isn't a bottomless well of ideas. He himself has expressed many times that he has long term plans but that once he finishes his story and doesn't have anything more to tell he will give the reigns to someone else. I think as it stands we are looking at least another good 2-3 years with Al, maybe more if we are lucky. And maybe if we are really lucky he does an event right after he is done with Hulk, it would be a shame it seems every writer who does well with a character gets to do an event specific to that character.

After that i can only hope that he has left enough of a impact and has inspired whichever writer comes next to do Hulk actual justice. He has said in his last interview that he hopes issue 25 of Immortal Hulk helps other writers break out of their shells and explore their creativity to the max, not being constrained too much with the editorial and stuff.
    Certainly once the well runs dry, or stories get stale, it's time to move on. No one should be forced to write anything that they are not invested in.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Mark Waid's Hulk run was one of the worst in Hulk's history. I think part of the problem was that the MCU influenced his run too much, and he doesn't strike me as a fan of the character at all. Marvel Comics has ruined many great Hulk runs trying to sell fans a Hulk that has never resonated well. The animal-like non-speaking Hulk from Kenneth Johnson's 'The Incredible Hulk' television show has seen his day. It worked once. The idea has killed Peter David's and Greg Pak's tremendous exceptional additions to the Hulk's comic book lore.

Hopefully he will respect Al Ewing's wishes considering the two have worked together before.
    He’s not a fan. I was just recently listening to a Word Balloon podcast where Waid was asked what Marvel character he’d be least interested in writing and he named Hulk (that was before Waid got put on Hulk), which made me laugh. At least he was self-aware enough to know he’d be a bad fit for Hulk, so I’m guessing he took that job as a favor to editorial.

Certainly once the well runs dry, or stories get stale, it's time to move on. No one should be forced to write anything that they are not invested in.
    Agreed. And honestly Ewing seems to be planning to stick around for at least 2-3 years. By then there may be some other writer available who can carry on the good work Ewing is doing.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

We already have talented writers dying to write the Hulk when they have the chance. Guys like Cates and Snyder, for example. Once Ewing's done, basically everybody will want the job and leave their mark. Or they'll be too afraid to try, after such brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Was it harassment or was it just a lot of criticism? I don't Twitter or Facebook.
    This is the true question. While I hate anyone that personally attacks a writer, criticizing their work comes with the territory. You suck vs. Your story sucks are two different things.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    We already have talented writers dying to write the Hulk when they have the chance. Guys like Cates and Snyder, for example. Once Ewing's done, basically everybody will want the job and leave their mark. Or they'll be too afraid to try, after such brilliance.
    I am personally hoping Snyder's exclusive contract expires just around the time that Ewing finishes Hulk and then Marvel gets him on board. It seems very suspicious that he is constantly saying in interviews and on twitter how he has this Hulk story that he even pitched to his favorite artist that he really wants to do one day. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a long term plan of his.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s not a fan. I was just recently listening to a Word Balloon podcast where Waid was asked what Marvel character he’d be least interested in writing and he named Hulk (that was before Waid got put on Hulk), which made me laugh. At least he was self-aware enough to know he’d be a bad fit for Hulk, so I’m guessing he took that job as a favor to editorial.

Agreed. And honestly Ewing seems to be planning to stick around for at least 2-3 years. By then there may be some other writer available who can carry on the good work Ewing is doing.
    I never got the logic of why letting a writer that doesn't know or like a character write him. Sounds reckless to me.

Long Stay Ewing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    I gave up on comics for a long time. Not that I want to see Al Ewing go for a long time to come, but where has Cates and Snyder expressed this?

Yea i hated Waids Indestructible Hulk run too. I think he missed the character completely and it was obvious he wasn't a big fan of Hulk. Actually since Pak left Hulk in 2011, we have had some crappy series. I hated the most Aarons take on Hulk that was just atrocious with some of the worst artwork i have EVER seen. Wasn't a big fan of Doc Green either.

I feel so lucky that we finally got a writer that actually respects Hulks lore a lot and is quite knowledgeable about the character. Couldn't be happier. Can't wait to see who we get in the future, it's likely going to be Cates since he expressed a desire to write the Hulk, but even though he is an exclusively DC guy i kinda wanna see Snyder do his Hulk story that he already has planned out, it's supposedly also a horror story it was called Hulk: Smash everything IIRC.
    What makes the Hulk unique? What makes him tick? What makes him iconic?

Mighty Member

Yea hopefully Waid makes some kind of reference to it in future books and even though Ewing spoke to him about it, i personally don't trust Waid. He never used to his research when he wrote the Hulk which is why he had so much problems writing him and eventually quit because of it.

Hopefully he doesn't screw things up this time around. Inconsistency's always bothered me and there's plenty of those in comic books....
    I think he already made a reference to it: "there are two left on the Andromeda Galaxy. Each terrified of leaving the other alone."
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

I never got the logic of why letting a writer that doesn't know or like a character write him. Sounds reckless to me.

Long Stay Ewing!!!
    Probably because they’re willing to do whatever editorial wants. Waid didn’t care about Hulk so he was less likely to push back against editorial mandates, making him easy to work with.
    I gave up on comics for a long time. Not that I want to see Al Ewing go for a long time to come, but where has Cates and Snyder expressed this?
    Don’t know about Cates but Snyder occasionally holds Q&A’s on Twitter where he has repeatedly said that he wants to do a Hulk run with Capullo that would be horror-ish but has also said it would be a different take compared to Ewing. Cates I’m kind of iffy about, he’s way too in love with his OC Knull and it’s starting to get on my nerves how Cates shoves Knull into all of his books. He’s done good work on Venom though so maybe a few years later he’ll win me over, but Ewing has some long term plans so hopefully we’ll get a long run from him.