Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Stupid Photobucket. The image in the first post needs to be replaced.

Anyway, there's another reason I'm bumping this thread...

TAROT #1 (of 4)
    Written by ALAN DAVIS
    Art and Cover by PAUL RENAUD
    An all-new epic adventure teaming the classic Earth’s Mightiest Heroes with Marvel’s premiere Non-Team by Alan Davis and Paul Renaud!
    A strange and impossible lost memory from his days in World War II draws Namor the Sub-Mariner to his one-time compatriot Captain America—but the two heroes and their respective allies find themselves pulled into a labyrinth of pain, destruction and madness courtesy of the Infernal Ichor of Ish’lzog!

That's right, guys, the classic Defenders are back!
    Yea ha!!

I hope the interior art is as good with lots of action!

BANNED

Secret Defenders #19 Sep 1994
    "Survival of the Fittest" starring Giant-Man, Iron Fist, Dr. Druid, Shadowoman, Cadaver, Archangel and Iceman.
    The Secret Defenders get a little assist from the X-Men in battling Swarm.

Written by Tom Brevoort and Mike Kanterovich, Art by Bill Wylie and Tony DeZuniga.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yea ha!!

I hope the interior art is as good with lots of action!
    The cover artist is the interior artist, so YES!!!!

So happy to see both classic teams!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Fantastic Member

Stupid Photobucket. The image in the first post needs to be replaced.

Anyway, there's another reason I'm bumping this thread...

TAROT #1 (of 4)
    Written by ALAN DAVIS
    Art and Cover by PAUL RENAUD
    An all-new epic adventure teaming the classic Earth’s Mightiest Heroes with Marvel’s premiere Non-Team by Alan Davis and Paul Renaud!
    A strange and impossible lost memory from his days in World War II draws Namor the Sub-Mariner to his one-time compatriot Captain America—but the two heroes and their respective allies find themselves pulled into a labyrinth of pain, destruction and madness courtesy of the Infernal Ichor of Ish’lzog!

That's right, guys, the classic Defenders are back!

Nice! Definitely have to keep an eye out for this, any info on when it will be hitting the shelves?

January.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

January.
    Thanks. We're already halfway through October, it'll be 2020 before you know it.

Paul Renaud has an instagram and I found these images from a couple of months ago. I THINK they are for Tarot though, if you look at the costumes. I BELIEVE that's Namor at the top of the image next to Torch.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByIKsKbC..._web_copy_link

This is interesting. Doctor Strange, Surfer and ... Galactus!

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByWWsmXi..._web_copy_link

Here's one of Wanda and Vision, Wong and Surfer, at Strange's sanctum?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bypy8LhC..._web_copy_link

Even more interesting ... Mephisto!

https://www.instagram.com/p/By79uo4i..._web_copy_link

And finally, Iron Man in his old costume. I think that's Hulk's arm in the cut off panel above.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0YWrKaB..._web_copy_link
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Defenders #16 October 1974
    "Alpha, the Ultimate Mutant!" Guest-starring Professor Xavier
    The Defenders have gone down to defeat in New Mexico at the hands of Magneto and Alpha, the Ultimate Mutant!

And now the Master of Magnetism and his mutants travel to New York City and take over the United Nations headquarters!
    With Alpha at his side, Magneto demands the subjugation of the world!
    However, as time goes by the Ultimate Mutant metamorphoses from a simple man into a godlike being.

And when Doctor Strange, Professor Xavier, Valkyrie, Nighthawk and the Hulk
    attack Magneto again, Alpha wonders if he's fighting on the side of good or evil.
    Will Alpha turn against the Master of Magnetism and lead the Defenders to an unexpected victory?

NOTES: Magneto appears next in Uncanny X-Men 103 and 104. Alpha returns many years later in Quasar 14.
    This story occurred during the 5-year period when the X-men series was in reprint.
    During this time Magneto battled Marvel's other superhero teams including the Fantastic Four, Inhumans and Avengers.

Script by Len Wein. Pencils by Sal Buscema. Inks by Mike Esposito.

Good story, great art, various Marvel characters...ah, those were the days!

BANNED

Giant-Size Defenders #2 Oct 1974
    "H... As in Hulk... Hell... and Holocaust!"
    Fleeing the authorities after another rampage, the Hulk is led into a secret passage by a little girl.
    All this turns out to be a trap set by Asmodeus to lure the Hulk into his own personal hell.
    Demanding that the other Defenders bow to his masters demands,
    the Defenders instead enlist the aid of Son of Satan to free their emerald companion.

Traveling to Asmodeus' realm, all the Defenders and Son of Satan are all subjected to their own personal demons.

However when they switch torments, they find it easy to break loose. Freeing themselves and attacking Asmodeus,
    the foe awakens the anger of his master, Satannish, who claims Asmodeus instead of his intended victims.

With the Hulk free and Asmodeus gone, Son of Satan bids farewell to the Defenders.

Script by Len Wein, pencils by Gil Kane (layouts/breakdowns) and Klaus Janson (finished art), inks by Klaus Janson

Wow. Gil Kane interiors!!! Klaus Janson's inks look great on Dr Strange, especially. I remember that Val blank face. Creepy.

Good story, great art, various Marvel characters...ah, those were the days!
    Some classic Sal Buscema Defenders!

Merry Christmas, fellow Defenders fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Merry Christmas, fellow Defenders fans!

Merry Christmas right back atcha, Rev!

I love the scenes above--don't recall ever seeing them before. The bottom one with Val in the early incarnation of her white costume.

Merry Christmas right back atcha, Rev!

I love the scenes above--don't recall ever seeing them before. The bottom one with Val in the early incarnation of her white costume.
    Hope you had a great holiday!

The bottom one was in a Marvel calendar. The other panel was in a comic, IIRC. Not sure which one, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Hope you had a great holiday!

The bottom one was in a Marvel calendar. The other panel was in a comic, IIRC. Not sure which one, though.
    I did--and it went by so fast! But at least we are at the pinnacle of another one!

I hope your Holidays are the best!

Ah, a calendar. I never bought those.

Val's left arm here looks like a new incarnation of the various ones her Left Arm went through with the white costume. When the costume premiered, while the cover showed a great looking 1st left arm version, the interior panel with the transformation was messed up--very bad looking. But even with the best drawing, that golden-entire-left-arm metal banding would never work for moving/flexing her arm. I eventually settled on liking the incarnation where the left arm matches the right, with all white and golden bracelet at wrist only. This take here is interesting, because it looks like a combo of the first and the last incarnations!