Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

It's amazing how only a year ago she was in nothing. Now Sue is in several books besides the FF:

Invisible Woman - She will finally have her own mini!
    Captain America - On the Daughters of Liberty team (hopefully it gets a spin off)
    Fearless - I don't know whether it's a team-up or three separate stories, but it's really cool that she is one of the three heroines involved

I've said for a while now that Sue needs to show up more outside of her team and boy is Marvel giving us just that!
    2019 is shaping up to be a really great year for Sue!
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    ooh I like superspy Susan!

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    ooh I like superspy Susan!
    Same. It seems to be the direction they are going for her outside of the FF. I just hope her missions and things are intergalactic and inter-dimensional, things to separate her from Black Widow and other Marvel spies.

I always said Susan should play the spy and undercover agent on covert operations.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Same. It seems to be the direction they are going for her outside of the FF. I just hope her missions and things are intergalactic and inter-dimensional, things to separate her from Black Widow and other Marvel spies.
    I like seeing Sue occasionally doing espionage work. Her powers, intelligence, and her physical abilities (she's in shape, yo!) make her prime material for this. But most of what we've seen from Sue goes against the black-ops part of spycraft.

Back in the seventies, Bionic Woman and Wonder Woman were shows that showcased competent heroines. BUT there was more of a peaceful attitude about them. The goal was, far more often than not, to avoid just beating the crap out of the bad guys. While we have Elektra and Black Widow to perform Kick-@$$ tasks, I still would prefer Sue to focus on olive branches and peaceful resolutions, even if it's retro and borderline corny.

I loved Doug Moench's Master of Kung Fu series and the rising and advancing of a spirit philosophy of it. Shang-Chi got tired of the spycraft and "games of deceit and death. I think Sue's pretty far along on that journey. But, as always, I am open to other opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I like seeing Sue occasionally doing espionage work. Her powers, intelligence, and her physical abilities (she's in shape, yo!) make her prime material for this. But most of what we've seen from Sue goes against the black-ops part of spycraft.

Back in the seventies, Bionic Woman and Wonder Woman were shows that showcased competent heroines. BUT there was more of a peaceful attitude about them. The goal was, far more often than not, to avoid just beating the crap out of the bad guys. While we have Elektra and Black Widow to perform Kick-@$$ tasks, I still would prefer Sue to focus on olive branches and peaceful resolutions, even if it's retro and borderline corny.

I loved Doug Moench's Master of Kung Fu series and the rising and advancing of a spirit philosophy of it. Shang-Chi got tired of the spycraft and "games of deceit and death. I think Sue's pretty far along on that journey. But, as always, I am open to other opinions.
    I think many spy stories tend to mix spy work with assassinations and things. The main point of being a spy is intelligence gathering, it's all about getting the info covertly and getting out. Sue wouldn't be fighting unless things have gone horribly wrong. Too often spy stories rely on the morally questionable aspects, not every spy story should be about that and that shouldn't be Sue's story. That is more of a Black Widow thing. A Sue Storm spy story should be about using her powers and skills to gather intelligence that helps people. She wouldn't be involved in the shady spy stuff as that is against what she's all about.

I see her mini book as potentially fleshing out her character and personality in an unexpected way. I found an interview with Mark Waid that talked a little about the book and he mentioned her partner and meeting other classic Marvel spies. It looks like it could be fun. What will be most interesting is finding out why she agreed to be a spy, it could inform a lot about who she is and her thought process.

I think many spy stories tend to mix spy work with assassinations and things. The main point of being a spy is intelligence gathering, it's all about getting the info covertly and getting out. Sue wouldn't be fighting unless things have gone horribly wrong. Too often spy stories rely on the morally questionable aspects, not every spy story should be about that and that shouldn't be Sue's story. That is more of a Black Widow thing. A Sue Storm spy story should be about using her powers and skills to gather intelligence that helps people. She wouldn't be involved in the shady spy stuff as that is against what she's all about.

I see her mini book as potentially fleshing out her character and personality in an unexpected way. I found an interview with Mark Waid that talked a little about the book and he mentioned her partner and meeting other classic Marvel spies. It looks like it could be fun. What will be most interesting is finding out why she agreed to be a spy, it could inform a lot about who she is and her thought process.
    There's a tendency in comic books to get to the fight scene. The subtleties that could be expressed in a live action scene and the fear of getting caught are much more difficult to express in a comic book story. I also am looking forward to seeing Sue's behavior and thoughts in new locations without her usual cast. But I don't see Sue's big thing as being a spy. I have no problem with being a minority opinion on this and that may actually make me more vocal about it.

I am looking forward to the mini and wish it's as good as we hope.

It's amazing how only a year ago she was in nothing. Now Sue is in several books besides the FF:

Invisible Woman - She will finally have her own mini!
    Captain America - On the Daughters of Liberty team (hopefully it gets a spin off)
    Fearless - I don't know whether it's a team-up or three separate stories, but it's really cool that she is one of the three heroines involved

I've said for a while now that Sue needs to show up more outside of her team and boy is Marvel giving us just that!
    2019 is shaping up to be a really great year for Sue!
    If I understand Fearless's solicitation correctly, it's an anthology book. Those three characters each get their own stories, and a different set of characters will be in the other two issues.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

That first line of dialogue seemed pretty off, but pretty nice sequence all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    There's a tendency in comic books to get to the fight scene. The subtleties that could be expressed in a live action scene and the fear of getting caught are much more difficult to express in a comic book story. I also am looking forward to seeing Sue's behavior and thoughts in new locations without her usual cast. But I don't see Sue's big thing as being a spy. I have no problem with being a minority opinion on this and that may actually make me more vocal about it.

I am looking forward to the mini and wish it's as good as we hope.
    I agree that spy work is not the first thing that Sue would do. It's more based on her powers, but with the right motivations I can see it. Based on the solicit Sue starts working with SHIELD pretty early in her superhero career, when she was still going by Invisible Girl. Back then due to the time period she wasn't really treated well all the time, you could play around with that. You could use her frustration over not being valued as an equal team member as one of the reasons she says yes to Fury's offer.

You could redo panels like this (while toning down some of the sexism of the time):

And undercut it with her partaking in a dangerous SHIELD mission. It could be a nice juxtaposition to show her love of adventure and not being treated like fragile glass. You mention that she started doing missions less and less as time went on and the others started treating her better. That's one of the few possible ways to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That first line of dialogue seemed pretty off, but pretty nice sequence all the same.
    I didn't have a problem with the first line, it's the "Dude. Army of Evil" that sounded more like something Johnny would say.

I didn't have a problem with the first line, it's the "Dude. Army of Evil" that sounded more like something Johnny would say.
    I dunno, it just sounds like the kind of pontificating only someone like Doom would actually say. Not sure if I see Sue saying "dude" but at least it sounds more "normal."

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES