Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    These episodes with Reed and Sue in the Avengers were favorite stories of mine. The whole Nanny and Orphan Maker story and Sue's unconscious use of her force field to saver their lives. Sue is not always underrated so much as writers forgetting her abilities and the fact that they can operate unconsciously or nearly simultaneously as needed. Many examples throughout the stories.
    And John Byrne's earlier issues such as Fantastic Four #266 (1984), in which she's able to fend for herself against a hypnotized Thing:

Due to inconsistencies, Sue's force field has been better or not, at various times, and under various circumstances.

It save them all from the atomic or nuclear blast, way back in #40 or so.

It has withstood double pummeling by the Hulk and Thing (somewhere in the late quarter of the #100s)

And on and on. So it is at the whims of the writer or artist to some degree.

Due to inconsistencies, Sue's force field has been better or not, at various times, and under various circumstances.

It has withstood double pummeling by the Hulk and Thing (somewhere in the late quarter of the #100s)

I can accept the fluctuations because the field's strength is based on her concentration and willpower. There is really no way to properly quantify it leaving it at the usual strength the story dictates. Welcome to funny books.

In World War Hulk she tanked Hulk's punches for a while, she eventually couldn't do it anymore, but considering how overpowered Green Scar is, it's impressive she was able to block more than one punch, much less that many.

But yeah, super powers and unfortunately very inconsistent, but that's the nature of action packed stories, at least it's not as bad as super speed.

Default My thoughts on the Invisible Woman mini

Finished the final issue of Sue's first ever mini. I enjoyed the final issue of her mini, but it also reinforces that the premise could have been better for the character. The strength of this mini was seeing Sue's powers used more creatively and the great art from Mattia De Iulis. The spy thing felt more like a means to an end, a way to have Sue do something without the other FF members being involved or even knowing what she's doing. It did it's job, but it didn't really develop the character outside of her powers and it doesn't really suit her beyond her power-set. This final issue when she talked about her thoughts on killing was the only time I saw something that more about the character than her powers. It's a shame that it was so brief, it would've been interesting to really delve into who Sue Storm is.

Another misstep is the lack of supporting cast. Characters need other characters to bounce off of and while I enjoyed the cameos from other characters, there should have been new characters created for her to interact with. A way to show another side to her personality and interaction with characters that aren't her family or fellow heroes. Speaking of new characters, I don't like Aidan. I found him to be very bland and his motivation was lame. The fact that the entire book is about rescuing him is one of it's weaknesses. I didn't believe their friendship for one minute and was waiting for the book to give me a reason why Sue would care that much and why I should care. It showed very few moments between Sue and Aidan and the little it did show was very lacking. Hinging the book on their so-called friendship was a mistake.

All in all I enjoyed the book because I like seeing Sue on her own and doing interesting things with her powers. However, I think the spy premise was not the best avenue for the character, as it's too grounded and is based solely on her ability to turn invisible rather than her personality. I hope that Sue get's another book someday (preferably not too far away) and it has a premise more suited to the character and who she is.

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I haven't picked up the final issue yet. When I do, I'll post my own review.

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

My problem is that it was WAY to small scale. So this guy did this stuff just cause Sue was kinda "above him". It needed to be more world threat/space/negative zone

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    My problem is that it was WAY to small scale. So this guy did this stuff just cause Sue was kinda "above him". It needed to be more world threat/space/negative zone
    Why? Sue's had limited solo exposure. And she and her family had just finished repopulating the multiverse. Movies have more of a need for big, universal threats, but for ongoing series, especially for the FF characters, seeing how they react and who they are is just as important as what they can do. Plus, with a world threat, you know the hero will always win. With a smaller scale story, you can't be as sure and in a story where circumstances aren't black and white, that can mean good characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Why? Sue's had limited solo exposure. And she and her family had just finished repopulating the multiverse. Movies have more of a need for big, universal threats, but for ongoing series, especially for the FF characters, seeing how they react and who they are is just as important as what they can do. Plus, with a world threat, you know the hero will always win. With a smaller scale story, you can't be as sure and in a story where circumstances aren't black and white, that can mean good characterization.
    Maybe I'm just not loving the scope. I would rather this have neen a one shot. And a longer 6 issue or something series focus on a bigger villain

What about "Iconoclast"? His Sue storyline has never been told. How Sue kills millions. Explore that. You have smaller villains starting the series. And lead to a worthy foe. Madame Hydra even...aka herself from Exiles. I mean, who is a better villain (and says more) than having Sue fight herself.

One thing I did enjoy is Sue admitting her powers are ridiculous and she's pretty unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I think a more cosmic adventure doesn’t mean a world/universe-ending threat. It could still be relatively small in scope, but it offers the opportunity for a more powerful villain to really test Sue. Even the same spy premise but with a more cosmic bent would do that.

What about "Iconoclast"? His Sue storyline has never been told. How Sue kills millions. Explore that. You have smaller villains starting the series. And lead to a worthy foe. Madame Hydra even...aka herself from Exiles. I mean, who is a better villain (and says more) than having Sue fight herself.

One thing I did enjoy is Sue admitting her powers are ridiculous and she's pretty unstoppable.
    Iconoclast would be cool and I’m still waiting for someone to really delve into the hyperspace energy thing.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

A perfect example of what I'm talking about with bigger scale occured in FF Negative Zone. Great comic. Smalls tight storyline, with NZone as back drop. Great action, great writing, and great art.

Hope whoever did this book, takes over main book.

Whats funny is that these one shots seem to feature a memember. This was Reeds. Noir is Ben and Annihilation is Johnny. Even Frank gets love in a mini.

Why not a one shot around Sue?

Prodigal son was more to introduce the character I think

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    This final issue when she talked about her thoughts on killing was the only time I saw something that more about the character than her powers. It's a shame that it was so brief, it would've been interesting to really delve into who Sue Storm is.
    It reminds me of her time during the Infinity War when she witnessed the fight between Thanos and his doppelganger, and she contemplated about using lethal force, this after Malice reasserted herself inside Sue.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

A perfect example of what I'm talking about with bigger scale occured in FF Negative Zone. Great comic. Smalls tight storyline, with NZone as back drop. Great action, great writing, and great art.

Hope whoever did this book, takes over main book.

Whats funny is that these one shots seem to feature a memember. This was Reeds. Noir is Ben and Annihilation is Johnny. Even Frank gets love in a mini.

Why not a one shot around Sue?

Prodigal son was more to introduce the character I think
    One shots each focused on a single member seem like a natural thing. Ben's got Noir, but he was also big in 4 Yancy Street as well. Four single, four members. Individual issues for those only getting some and a trade for all four.

BANNED

I thought the mini was fine, but like Crimz said it was too grounded for a character like Sue. I'd like for writers to fully explore/explain where Sue's force fields originate from, and what type of energy it consists of, and for Sue to have consistent friendships (Like Carol and Jessica) hopefully in her next mini. Soon.

Also I hope Sue gets a story arc in the main FF books seeing as Ben, Johnny, Reed, and Franklin recently had or are going to have arcs that focused solely on them.
    Last edited by Billy Maximoff; 12-04-2019 at 06:29 PM.