Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I gotta say, Sue Richards is very clumsy. She was clumsy in the 10 year flashback, and she is clumsy in the current Mandripoor. Why is Sue letting men with weapons continue breathing, or let them use their eye retina to see her? Why let 2 thieves get the drop on her when she can be invisible, or doesn’t she know the first rule of espionage - don’t get detected?

From this standpoint, I was disappointed with Sue Richards first mission in the field, and her latest. She seems to want to behave like one of the FF and not a spy. Wow, lady seen on docks in a blue costume with a 4 on her chest. Who could it be? Is this how Mark Waid wants to play Sue Richards? All open, overconfident, blatant? She’s just begging perps to confront her. The CIA already know where Sue is, and that Fury ignored his mission from the CIA, to stop her. Sue can be popped in the head by any sundry of shooters the way she parades around. I’d like to see Sue portrayed a lot more cautious than she has been so far. I don’t think Sue’s learnt anything from Aidan.
    Its a bit of harsh criticism from a story telling standpoint. If Sue wanted to be Miss Ultimate Espionage, she could/would just keep invisible. Like, all the the damn time. Probably float on an invisible disc-field while she's at it to avoid detection. But maybe deep down there's a part of her that craves the thrill -- the adrenaline rush -- of the danger of it all. Who knows. But really, when you've got powers like Sue do, and you're infiltrating stuff, it should be a cake walk. But... that's boring. So, the creative team and maybe even the audience, must find/craft/rationalize her behavior in order to tell a compelling story with actual risks. I'm not even a huge Sue fan (and let me please emphasize that in saying that, I do not mean that I do not like her, but simply that I gravitate stronger toward other characters so please, all Sue-stans: don't send for me, hahaa) but here I am, rooting for her and trying to understand the how/why of her actions. Maybe she really IS used to Fantastic Fouring and that's a comfort zone for her when it comes to heroics, despite having prior spy history. She's already been called out (twice?) for more or less having a handicap for this mission because of her idealism(?) People are complex. Waid gets that. Its issue one. <shrug>

Don't forget, those flashbacks are very early in her career. She was probably not confident in her ability to maintain the disks, she did say she was only just learning forcefields.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Its a bit of harsh criticism from a story telling standpoint. If Sue wanted to be Miss Ultimate Espionage, she could/would just keep invisible. Like, all the the damn time. Probably float on an invisible disc-field while she's at it to avoid detection. But maybe deep down there's a part of her that craves the thrill -- the adrenaline rush -- of the danger of it all. Who knows. But really, when you've got powers like Sue do, and you're infiltrating stuff, it should be a cake walk. But... that's boring. So, the creative team and maybe even the audience, must find/craft/rationalize her behavior in order to tell a compelling story with actual risks. I'm not even a huge Sue fan (and let me please emphasize that in saying that, I do not mean that I do not like her, but simply that I gravitate stronger toward other characters so please, all Sue-stans: don't send for me, hahaa) but here I am, rooting for her and trying to understand the how/why of her actions. Maybe she really IS used to Fantastic Fouring and that's a comfort zone for her when it comes to heroics, despite having prior spy history. She's already been called out (twice?) for more or less having a handicap for this mission because of her idealism(?) People are complex. Waid gets that. Its issue one. <shrug>
    As to Sue’s fore’s into secret missions, she just got done breaking out Cap from a prison with the Daughters of Liberty, so Sue remaining Invisible is sort of the whole point of doing that.

Maybe being invisible all the time is too strenuous? So she has to go around visible till she has to use her powers?

I really enjoyed #1. The art was fantastic too. Loved then panels where she was invisible ion the snow. Sue is a character who I have always wanted to read more about. My F4 knowledge is very lacking, but I am glad that this mini seems to explore Sue's spy side, rather than dealing with the family. Random question, how long has Sue been doing the whole spy thing on the side? And while I am here, which F4 book is the best for her?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    As to Sue’s fore’s into secret missions, she just got done breaking out Cap from a prison with the Daughters of Liberty, so Sue remaining Invisible is sort of the whole point of doing that.

Maybe being invisible all the time is too strenuous? So she has to go around visible till she has to use her powers?
    She just flew a plane from New York to Southeast Asia,while having it stay invisible. That could of tired her out or the more likely option was that it's just so she has that scene and meets Black Widow. You're probably overthinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    I really enjoyed #1. The art was fantastic too. Loved then panels where she was invisible ion the snow. Sue is a character who I have always wanted to read more about. My F4 knowledge is very lacking, but I am glad that this mini seems to explore Sue's spy side, rather than dealing with the family. Random question, how long has Sue been doing the whole spy thing on the side? And while I am here, which F4 book is the best for her?
    This is the first time they went into detail about the spy thing, it was a retcon by Waid in 2015 that started in S.H.I.E.L.D #4 (2014-2015).

I think the Marvel Knights 4 series written by Roberto Aquirre-Sacasa is a great one to read for Sue. It's a more grounded story, but you can tell the writer loves Sue and really lets her shine.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

The "can Sue remain invisible throughout a mission?" question may have to do with her experience. Also, if she's keeping someone/thing else invisible, wouldn't that put and additional strain on her? Lots of reasons for her to be visible on a mission.

Fearless preview is out:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ew-fearless-1/

Not a fan of the interior art for the main story.
    Last edited by Crimz; 07-19-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Fearless preview is out:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ew-fearless-1/

Not a fan of the interior art for the main story.
    Is it just me, or does Reed look younger then Sue with that art?

I think that's the most stereotypical French Aurora has sounded in years.

Nice to see Millie again.

Cool to see Thompson following up on the Jessica Jones/Elsa Bloodstone friendship she established. Along with all the other characters she enjoys to write, apparently, aside from Rogue .

(I think that's the first time I've read a page of modern Elsa without a blanked out curse word).

The promo and push the Mary Jane book is getting just confirms how little Marvel cared about the Invisible Woman book. The obviously just threw it out there because it looked bad that she never had one.

I won't be surprised if they're just leaving some buffer after Unstoppable Wasp's demise before giving Janet van Dyne a book too - which would be similarly under-promoted. She's also never had one - the only books with Wasp in the title have featured either Nadia (sure, Janet was IN her book, but she wasn't the title character) or Hank (who had an Ant-Man and the Wasp book with Eric O'Grady as Ant-Man). Sue and Janet are Marvel's two longest running superheroines, but they both usually just stick to teams.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

By Fred Ian

The promo and push the Mary Jane book is getting just confirms how little Marvel cared about the Invisible Woman book. The obviously just threw it out there because it looked bad that she never had one.
    You are probably right and it's little frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Fandango View Post
    By Fred Ian

This is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Fandango View Post
    You are probably right and it's little frustrating.
    I hope it does better than they expected and she gets another one closer to the MCU films release. That way it would definitely get a lot of exposure.
    Also, I see the spy concept as a nice one-off thing for her but not what Invisible Woman books should be about. Black Widow is Marvel's superspy and Sue should have something unique that's her own thing. There were many suggestions like ambassador to alien races, doctor, CEO ect.
    Plus the spy thing is pretty low level for her powers, it doesn't push them like a cosmic story would. There isn't much of a threat there and you won't see her powers grow from it.

I see the spy story as more of a set-up to get people used to the character working on her own. Hopefully, she gets a more unique and cosmic book down the road.
    Last edited by Crimz; 08-04-2019 at 08:35 AM.

I hope it does better than they expected and she gets another one closer to the MCU films release. That way it would definitely get a lot of exposure.
    Also, I see the spy concept as a nice one-off thing for her but not what Invisible Woman books should be about. Black Widow is Marvel's superspy and Sue should have something unique that's her own thing. There were many suggestions like ambassador to alien races, doctor, CEO ect.
    Plus the spy thing is pretty low level for her powers, it doesn't push them like a cosmic story would. There isn't much of a threat there and you won't see her powers grow from it.

I see the spy story as more of a set-up to get people used to the character working on her own. Hopefully, she gets a more unique and cosmic book down the road.
    I've been less excited about a spy story for Sue, but it makes a lot of sense for her character advancement. We've seen a lot of Sue in the cosmic and in Mother mode so something in the middle can be very interesting. Where the FF is a book of extremes between the mundane and cosmic, a story with less of sense of importance to the universe can be a good thing. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I've been less excited about a spy story for Sue, but it makes a lot of sense for her character advancement. We've seen a lot of Sue in the cosmic and in Mother mode so something in the middle can be very interesting. Where the FF is a book of extremes between the mundane and cosmic, a story with less of sense of importance to the universe can be a good thing. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
    That's true. When I say 'cosmic' I mean space. Out in the Galaxy she is more likely to come across powerful enemies and meet interesting characters. It doesn't have to always be huge, epic, universe shattering stories.