Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

You guys talking about how the F4 could have their powers expanded and/or used more creatively makes me think that they could benefit greatly from having Grant Morrison writing them, since he is pretty good with mixing comic book logic with some real life logic, plus him being a silver age fanboy would mean he'd try to make creative adventures like Kirby era.

I read latest issue and it was really good. We got an explanation of how her eyes work while she's invisible and she can see her own force fields too.

And a certain someone made their first appearance in two years!
    spoilers:
    Maria Hill, who, of course, lost her job after Secret Empire when SHIELD disbanded. She's joined the CIA - and arrests Sue for treason! How will she get out of this one?
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I read latest issue and it was really good. We got an explanation of how her eyes work while she's invisible and she can see her own force fields too.
    Waid gave Sue that power in his Fantastic Four run. It's really nice to see it being brought up again, and given confirmation that she can see her own force-fields.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

spoilers:
    Man, Sue was a dumbass in this issue.

Like, the guy very clearly kills just because now, something she even points out, so she should've at least considered he would try to kill that scientist lol.

Oh well, I'm not sure if her power set is always like this, but this mini is showing it as crazy flexible.

Also Maria's back, that's cool, wonder if it has anything to do with Fury Jr. being called in issue#3.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Waid gave Sue that power in his Fantastic Four run. It's really nice to see it being brought up again, and given confirmation that she can see her own force-fields.
    Why has nobody else ever brought it up? It shouldn't take the same writer doing the character again for this to come up, especially considering how long ago Waid's F4 was.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Why has nobody else ever brought it up? It shouldn't take the same writer doing the character again for this to come up, especially considering how long ago Waid's F4 was.
    I don't know. I've noticed that a lot of the time the FF's powers don't get highlighted like they used to. Just look at the difference between Reed in the 60s and Reed now. He never uses his powers in such creative ways anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I guess it's because silver age style of writing is largely gone, and writers go for more simple/straight forward stuff, so it's only specific writers who nowadays go for creative use of powers. A pity really, the absurd creativity of powers can be fun.

Speaking of Silver age, the only thing I didn't like about Fantastic Four: Grand Design was it's change to Sue's relationship with Namor and Reed.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Speaking of Silver age, the only thing I didn't like about Fantastic Four: Grand Design was it's change to Sue's relationship with Namor and Reed.
    What did it changed? I know it's not the same writer, but I thought X-men: Grand Design was absolutely awful. If it is like Grand Design, then Sue is fucking Namor, and possibly other people, but stays with Reed for the kids.
    Last edited by Omega Alpha; 10-30-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    What did it changed? I know it's not the same writer, but I thought X-men: Grand Design was absolutely awful.
    spoilers:
    That Sue never loved Reed and only married him because her brother wouldn't forgive her. She settled for him, but really wanted Namor.

I obviously hated it.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

spoilers:
    That Sue never loved Reed and only married him because her brother wouldn't forgive her. She settled for him, but really wanted Namor.

I obviously hated it.
    end of spoilers
    Hah, I made that edit before I read this. I'm not surprised in the slightest. X-men: Grand Design first volume had Jean sleeping with other people during the time she was already clearly in love with Scott (which clearly doesn't fit with the stories, or anything about Jean) and seemingly only gets together with him because it's convenient. It also has Scott's probably greatest Silver Age moment (outsmarting the Sentinels and having them kill each other) being stolen by Beast for no real reason. Also, from what I've read, pretty much the entire last volume is dedicated to how much Madelyne is awesome and Scott sucks.

What did it changed? I know it's not the same writer, but I thought X-men: Grand Design was absolutely awful. If it is like Grand Design, then Sue is fucking Namor, and possibly other people, but stays with Reed for the kids.
    I've mentioned this as a possibility from Sue's early days. The shifting time line means that the FF's early adventures no longer took place in the sixties, but are now totally within the 21st century. As the timeframe for those years moved up in time, the attitudes and shifting morality. What wouldn't have happened in 1963 might have been a different story in 1973, or even in 1983.

Details like physical action could certainly have changed and may be awkward to pin down definitely.

Hah, I made that edit before I read this. I'm not surprised in the slightest. X-men: Grand Design first volume had Jean sleeping with other people during the time she was already clearly in love with Scott (which clearly doesn't fit with the stories, or anything about Jean) and seemingly only gets together with him because it's convenient. It also has Scott's probably greatest Silver Age moment (outsmarting the Sentinels and having them kill each other) being stolen by Beast for no real reason. Also, from what I've read, pretty much the entire last volume is dedicated to how much Madelyne is awesome and Scott sucks.
    The thing is that I think everything else about Fantastic Four: Grand Design is great. Everyone else is pretty much in-character and I liked the added changes to some stories. It's this one thing that's pissing me off.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I've mentioned this as a possibility from Sue's early days. The shifting time line means that the FF's early adventures no longer took place in the sixties, but are now totally within the 21st century. As the timeframe for those years moved up in time, the attitudes and shifting morality. What wouldn't have happened in 1963 might have been a different story in 1973, or even in 1983.

Details like physical action could certainly have changed and may be awkward to pin down definitely.
    Grand Design seems to take place in the 60s like the original run, but it also doesn't highlight or mention the time period in any definitive way.
    I get your point, but there is a big difference between that and saying spoilers:
    Sue never really loved Reed and only settled for him.
    end of spoilers

The kids weren't around yet.