Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Default Venom (Eddie Brock) Appreciation 2019

A renewed thread dedicated to the nastiest of all Marvel's Spiders, who just got off from having an amazing year:

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Still one of my favorite pics of the big guy. I just love 1990s Era shlock (which the above image perfectly encapsulates).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Eddie Brock as Venom is for sure a must read character to me.
    It has been nice to see Venom featuring in a more relevant role in the Marvel stories (He is even in the poster of the upcoming Marvel Event. War of the Realms)
    I have read the first issue of the current ongoing by Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman and I am trade waiting the comic book now.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Still one of my favorite pics of the big guy. I just love 1990s Era shlock (which the above image perfectly encapsulates).
    Yeah, Bagley definitely knows Venom's classic audience, though I know that newer generations are getting into him as well. I will say, I prefer his older Venom art, like the third pic I posted. 90s Bagley Venom was the perfect combination of superhero physique combined with utter alien monstrosity:

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Eddie Brock as Venom is for sure a must read character to me.
    It has been nice to see Venom featuring in a more relevant role in the Marvel stories (He is even in the poster of the upcoming Marvel Event. War of the Realms)
    I have read the first issue of the current ongoing by Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman and I am trade waiting the comic book now.
    The first arc is amazing, I think you'll love it. The latest story, Abyss, is very Brock-centered, but is just as good if not better. Also, be sure to pick up the one-shot Carnage Born, as it links directly into the main Venom series.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The first time I saw Venom was in an NES Spider-Man game. I don't remember the name of the game, but he's a boss and has one move where he chokes Spider-Man that drain his health.

The first time I saw his story was in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon.
    Edward_Brock_(Earth-92131)_and_Venom_(Klyntar)_(Earth-92131)_from_Spider-Man_The_Animated_Series.jpg

At this point, I simply like him for being big, black, and scary.

So is it just me or does it seem like Venom's mouth is drawn differently between the 80's/90's and now? Like it doesn't look quite as "duck-like" for lack of a better descriptor.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Astonishing Member

The first arc is amazing, I think you'll love it. The latest story, Abyss, is very Brock-centered, but is just as good if not better. Also, be sure to pick up the one-shot Carnage Born, as it links directly into the main Venom series.
    I have just read the first number but the story and art were great.Thanks for the info about the Carnage story,i will see if i can find it in the Comic Book Shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    So is it just me or does it seem like Venom's mouth is drawn differently between the 80's/90's and now? Like it doesn't look quite as "duck-like" for lack of a better descriptor.
    The duck face was largely only seen in TAS. In ASM #300, he had a small nose and flat teeth., but soon after, he developed the classic look.

I never even notice the duck mouth.

My next exposure to Venom would be... hmm... ah. My first Venom comic reading was this one.

Mary Jane came home and thought she was speaking to Peter in the dark until Venom grinned and traumatized her. Then they moved out of their apartment, and Venom beat up Black Cat while both were looking for them. Eventually Eddie tracked them down to Aunt May's house.

21b0f1d404370eea24651d5ee321f67d._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Peter learned that the symbiote actually wanted to come back to him in a classic case of a lover scorned, so he stripped to invite it, but it already bound to Eddie and the resulting split made Venom collapsed.

The cover I read was different. Apparently, it was an anniversary issue and has other issues in between until the strip and collapse scene, but the one I read collected all the Venom stories.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

A renewed thread dedicated to the nastiest of all Marvel's Spiders, who just got off from having an amazing year:

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Agreed. Good choice for starting this thread. It perfectly captures the 90s when I started collecting seriously. I always liked Bagley's Venom. Very strong but always had the opportunity for that darker sense of humor.

BANNED

Cates was recently brought to New York for a special creative summit, it's "biggest thing" he's ever done

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01...-ryan-stegman/

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Love what he’s doing with Venom but I just hope everything with Knull doesn’t become an event. I’d like to see it all go down in the pages of Venom, doesn’t matter how big and wild it gets.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Love what he’s doing with Venom but I just hope everything with Knull doesn’t become an event. I’d like to see it all go down in the pages of Venom, doesn’t matter how big and wild it gets.
    Could easily be an arc expanded in the Web of Venom subseries. It could be like Spider-Island where the only ongoing books that were part of it were the ones that needed to be and the rest got special one-shots or minis outside their regular runs.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

My favorite Venom's the PS1 Venom. He's such a goofball and a troll. All the scenes he's in was funny

spider-man-0015.jpg

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Web of Venom was...strange. Ever since the Knull story it seems to have really slowed down including shipping. Still, I’m excited for the future and looking forward to the next PROPER issue.