Page 24 of 96 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

I'm really enjoying the show so far. I just really hope we get some more screen time for Ollie and Dinah. I want to see how their relationship progresses.

Spectacular Member

Man rewatching this season so far and the new ones just makes me with we had Greg Weisman as EiC for DC comics, the man has a very clear vision for the DCU and so far it's been a very good one.

Also this is totally leading up to Final Crisis isn't it? Googles= Justifier Helmets, Granny's Youth Center = Dark Side Club, the New Gods taking Human form and deceiving the population. almost everything just makes me think of the lead up to FC.

Dude was gonna kill their babies. Tones are getting quite dark.

All-New Member

He was gonna kill the babies and the wives...all 18 present.

Don Allen, Dawn Allen, Bart Allen, Iris West-Allen, Mera, Artur, Lynn Stewart-Pierce, Anissa Pierce, Jennifer Pierce, Will Harper, Lian Harper, Red Tornadad, Traya Sutton, Lois Lane, Jon Kent, Rocket, Amistad, Bumblebee.

Somehow the drop in quality was a lot more noticable in these episodes, not even the animation but just the close ups. Some exrepssions and especially eyes looked a bit crazed.

Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    I think too many comic book writers come to whatever hero with this idea of a story they are going to write. A story and plot is needed, but in the case of the comics, these characters have had years to develop their own voice. More important than creating an epic story...is remaining true to the characters. I think DC writers have forgotten that recently.
    Amen!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Man rewatching this season so far and the new ones just makes me with we had Greg Weisman as EiC for DC comics, the man has a very clear vision for the DCU and so far it's been a very good one.

Also this is totally leading up to Final Crisis isn't it? Googles= Justifier Helmets, Granny's Youth Center = Dark Side Club, the New Gods taking Human form and deceiving the population. almost everything just makes me think of the lead up to FC.
    You're never gonna unite a whole publishing line on the level of YJ. It works with a singular vision because it's a tv show with few creative heads.

Fantastic Member

The last three episodes were just Epic. And wonderful. And grand.

And I think it highlights why DC Animation does such a better job than DC Live Action or even the comics recently.

The last three episodes weren't as much about trying to tell their own story as they were exploring and enjoying the Characters we love.

I think too many comic book writers come to whatever hero with this idea of a story they are going to write. A story and plot is needed, but in the case of the comics, these characters have had years to develop their own voice. More important than creating an epic story...is remaining true to the characters. I think DC writers have forgotten that recently.
    That sounds very limited and short sighted. What is "remaining true to the character" when everyone has they're vision of a character that has been influenced by the very conflicting stories in the histories?

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    That sounds very limited and short sighted. What is "remaining true to the character" when everyone has they're vision of a character that has been influenced by the very conflicting stories in the histories?
    You probably get inconsistent writing with a totally jumbled up universe and history and DC not understanding the word iconic when they keep changing what iconic mean.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Orm should have realized that only Black Manta and Joker can get away with murdering kids.

Also, while I like this show, they really should stop killing Halo.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-19-2019 at 05:19 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    I honestly can’t see how “Ric” stays true to Dick Grayson’s history or character in any fashion.

Limits are good in storytelling. They keep things coherent. I agree there have been many different and conflicting stories which causes different visions of a character. But DC writers, in general, aren’t focused on who the character is. They focus on who they want the character to be in their story.

As a comic book writer, you’re different than any other author. Other authors have the freedom to start by building their world or coming up with an epic story. Comic writers -must- start with the character. They don’t get to build that character. They don’t get to choose the character traits. Good comic book writing is character-centric. It’s selfless bc you’re not supposed to tell the story you want but, rather, let the character tell you their story.

‘Ric’ isnt a fair example. Being true to the character and any actual vision was thrown out the window in thier struggle just to get something to print. What Ric has become I don’t think was intentional. It’s the unintentional result of poor editorial management. It’s not true to his character, it’s not a new vision, it’s a lazy attempt at a sales stunt gone wrong.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-19-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    ‘Ric’ isnt a fair example. Being true to the character and any actual vision was thrown out the window in thier struggle just to get something to print. What Ric has become I don’t think was intentional. It’s the unintentional result of poor editorial management. It’s not true to his character, it’s not a new vision, it’s a lazy attempt at a sales stunt gone wrong.
    I think Ric is a fair example. Precisely because it is the extreme. It shows the necessity of limits. Ultimately, DC is going to steadily come out with worse and worse quality because A. They focus on story rather than character and B. Because all the good stories for the main focus characters (Batman/Superman etc) have been told. DC is stagnant and will be as long as they still try to keep the universal status quo.

One of the reasons Young Justice works is because of growth. Kaldur is Aquaman and leading the league for crying out loud. It’s great!

But DC, as story tellers, will never grow until they are willing to permanently retire Bruce/Clark and make Dick’s generation the premiere heroes of their line.

It shows the necessity of good editors. YJ has 3 Roy Harpers, so it explores its share of extremes. Ric is a screw up. The result of bad editors screwing something up befor it even began. It’s no one’s vision, no one even had a story for it, it’s a screwed up stunt lazy editors thought they could turn into something.

YJ is enjoyable, but let’s not pretend its reinventing comic stories as we know it. It works, but it’s not the only thing or way that works.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-19-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Is it wrong that that episode made me sympathize with Savage and kinda want him to win?

Like...the stuff he is doing is terribly unethical and wrong...but at the same time he's trying to protect Humanity. Just in his own incredibly messed up way.
    Well, he thinks he's furthering and protecting humanity but he's practicing a "survival of the fittest" dogma and basically manipulating humanity into a war against Apokolips that will probably have severe consequences to planet Earth.

Even the worst villains are the hero of their own story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    When you realize the message the episode titles spells out, it pretty heavily implies some Final Crisis shenanigans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlyse View Post
    He was gonna kill the babies and the wives...all 18 present.

Don Allen, Dawn Allen, Bart Allen, Iris West-Allen, Mera, Artur, Lynn Stewart-Pierce, Anissa Pierce, Jennifer Pierce, Will Harper, Lian Harper, Red Tornadad, Traya Sutton, Lois Lane, Jon Kent, Rocket, Amistad, Bumblebee.
    I wonder if he actually would've taken everyone out or if they would have stopped him pretty quick ala Captain Cold in season 2, considering who was there.

But I guess if he got the drop on them he probably could've at least taken some of the kids out.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Orm should have realized that only Black Manta and Joker can get away with murdering kids.

Also, while I like this show, they really should stop killing Halo.
    I agree, I really like her character but they keep using her for graphic deaths. spoilers:
    Even Orm's death wasn't truly shown.
    end of spoilers

Seems in this world Vic hasn't had any accident yet from the radio clip in episode 7. Would have loved to seen him come fill a spot in the team. I believe the scientist in episode 8 was Silas.