Page 36 of 96 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Is Cyborg really that prominent? D.C. has done barely anything with him since they promoted him to the JL.
    Movies, animated movies, the previous two Teen Titans cartoons, and he's important in a bunch of events and stuff due to being a "founding" member of the JL. Also he frequently gets shots at a solo comic despite fundamental lack of interest.

Compare that to Static, where YJ is his first significant media presence since his awful New 52 run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Did you not think it was a great showcase before these four episodes? I did. I've always contended that DC's biggest failure with the Titans/Teen Titans franchise is chasing the NTT dragon so hard for years and YJ's unabashed screwery with the lineups to prevent that was one of its strong points.
    I did, and I still feel that way with Cyborg on the show now.

I don't think it was eschewing the New Teen Titans lineup was what made Young Justice so great, it was the writing and characterization. I don't even think it was all that deliberate that they didn't include them at first, since I'm pretty sure they've been open about having plans for those characters before.
    I just don't get why we have four episodes of focus on Cyborg when Static Shock is in this show. Cyborg overly prominent in everything else DC does and this is the one time we had a shot at more Static.
    Well, plotwise his main role seems to be an impetus for the audience to learn the truth about Halo and to take over as the team loose canon now that Brion has had his character development.

I imagine him being connected to a Fatherbox will also have major implications with all the Apokolips developments.

Cyborg is supposed to be DC's premiere African-American hero, it's not surprising that his debut on a popular show like Young Justice gets a lot of focus.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Cyborg is supposed to be DC's premiere African-American hero, it's not surprising that his debut on a popular show like Young Justice gets a lot of focus.

Even though Jefferson pierce has been in every episode this season and is the rightful premiere AAF, and should be the 1 on the JL.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I did, and I still feel that way with Cyborg on the show now.

I don't think it was eschewing the New Teen Titans lineup was what made Young Justice so great, it was the writing and characterization. I don't even think it was all that deliberate that they didn't include them at first, since I'm pretty sure they've been open about having plans for those characters before.

Well, plotwise his main role seems to be an impetus for the audience to learn the truth about Halo and to take over as the team loose canon now that Brion has had his character development.

I imagine him being connected to a Fatherbox will also have major implications with all the Apokolips developments.
    I've just seen this same Cyborg story run around for years and it's nothing new and YJ was really cool for everything Vic Stone's samey character arc isn't. YJ adapted and touched on a lot of concepts and stories that other shows never do because it was using a bunch of less prolific characters, whereas this last chunk of episodes regressed that monstrously. I mean, come on, Cyborg associated with New Gods tech? I wonder where we've seen that one before. Like ten times. Same the Tara.

This show is a lot of fun, but to me, PERSONALLY, (not to you! it doesn't have to be to you!) this weakened an otherwise A+ DC show.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Or, and bear with me on this one, they could focus on the more marginalized african american superheroes they already have on the show in an attempt to raise the profile of a character who hasn't gotten 90% of the African American hero exposure from DC over the last decade. That's my point. I understand why DC does what they do. I'm not surprised. I'm just rolling my eyes. Cyborg angsting about being a cyborg and having his free will taken over by the fact that he's PART ROBIT is a snoozefest to me.

There was like an hour of programming across two hours of actual show dedicated to Cyborg and it's the worst the season has been, as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Dred; 01-25-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Also, we not only got Harper Row (Blue Jay) but also a small cameo by Cisco Ramon (Vibe)!

I hope I didn't butcher that spelling.
    Awesome! Haven't been able to watch it yet. () Is she called Blue Jay instead of Bluebird here? And what were Harper and Cisco doing?

Astonishing Member

One thing that will separate this from all the other takes on Terra and Judas Contract is Brion being around.
    True, and I appreciate Brion having such a major role and focus on things. His inclusion in itself is a breath of fresh air, and it's nice to get to learn about a generally neglected character.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    I've just seen this same Cyborg story run around for years and it's nothing new and YJ was really cool for everything Vic Stone's samey character arc isn't. YJ adapted and touched on a lot of concepts and stories that other shows never do because it was using a bunch of less prolific characters, whereas this last chunk of episodes regressed that monstrously. I mean, come on, Cyborg associated with New Gods tech? I wonder where we've seen that one before. Like ten times. Same the Tara.
    I don't know. I feel like the way they're depicting Cyborg's character arc is closer to how it was in the comics, which I think is unique, especially since they're not breezing through it like most adaptions do.

Unless you're comic fan I don't think people are as used to the self-loathing, angry, Cyborg of the Wolfman/Perez run.

I think it's likely Cyborg's New 52 association with New Gods tech that inspired them to use him here.
    Or, and bear with me on this one, they could focus on the more marginalized african american superheroes they already have on the show in an attempt to raise the profile of a character who hasn't gotten 90% of the African American hero exposure from DC over the last decade. That's my point. I understand why DC does what they do. I'm not surprised. I'm just rolling my eyes. Cyborg angsting about being a cyborg and having his free will taken over by the fact that he's PART ROBIT is a snoozefest to me.
    I mean, I think it's good for the show to focus on a variety of African American heroes like they have been. Certainly Vic's arrival hasn't curbed Black Lightning being awesome.

And I don't think DC has a hand in this. Weisman and Vietti seem pretty open to that DC doesn't mandate or put embargoes on which characters they can use, so I'm pretty sure Cyborg fits into whatever plans the creators have.
    There was like an hour of programming across two hours of actual show dedicated to Cyborg and it's the worst the season has been, as far as I'm concerned.
    I thought the depiction of Victor's transformation and how Violet factored into it were handled pretty well, and the latter especially was a unique touch. I hope it can grow on you moving forward .
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Awesome! Haven't been able to watch it yet. () Is she called Blue Jay instead of Bluebird here? And what were Harper and Cisco doing?
    They don't mention either of those codneames.

She and Cisco are depicted as normal high school students (although Harper would probably take issue with me calling her "normal").

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Also, we not only got Harper Row (Blue Jay) but also a small cameo by Cisco Ramon (Vibe)!
    This show continues to surprise me with just how much if the DC universe they've been able to pack in it. Jason Todd, Damian Wayne, Orphan, Metamorpho, Cyborg, Cisco and Harper in there; that's amazing. They even brought in Holocaust from Milestone. Fingers crossed that we'll see Duke Thomas then I can die happy. I mean, he is an Outsider now. C'mon DC, just let me have this!
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    This show continues to surprise me with just how much if the DC universe they've been able to pack in it. Jason Todd, Damian Wayne, Orphan, Metamorpho, Cyborg, Cisco and Harper in there; that's amazing. They even brought in Holocaust from Milestone. Fingers crossed that we'll see Duke Thomas then I can die happy. I mean, he is an Outsider now. C'mon DC, just let me have this!
    I'm still waiting for Looker to show up .

Although I guess now that Cyborg's an "Outsider" I'm wondering if we'll even see the classic team altogether at some point. Although I can't think it's a coincidence that it was Katana and Metamorpho who almost got their own focus episode together.

Quote Originally Posted by Clairaudient Freedom Soldier View Post
    The Young Justice series is the best version of the DCU and should become the prime reality of the comics too. Give Weisman et al. the keys to the DCU!
    I'm down for it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

I don't know. I feel like the way they're depicting Cyborg's character arc is closer to how it was in the comics, which I think is unique, especially since they're not breezing through it like most adaptions do.

Unless you're comic fan I don't think people are as used to the self-loathing, angry, Cyborg of the Wolfman/Perez run.

I think it's likely Cyborg's New 52 association with New Gods tech that inspired them to use him here.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. Every single take on Cyborg has been cut from the same, angsty, "AM I A MAN OR AM I A MACHINE? DO I CONTROL MY OWN ACTIONS?" cloth that Wolfman envisioned ages ago. It's tired, repetitive, and doesn't need another story dedicated to it as far as I'm concerned. He's easily the worst part of the show so far. This is my opinion as someone who has read a lot of comics wrought with Cyborg's perpetual character cycle.

I mean, I think it's good for the show to focus on a variety of African American heroes like they have been. Certainly Vic's arrival hasn't curbed Black Lightning being awesome.
    Black Lightning is great. Kaldur is great. Characters like those are why I love YJ. It's why I was hoping to see more Static. The unusual cast doing largely unadapted stories is great! Cyborg's story is super adapted. Maybe they'll throw a curve ball but 4 episodes of him and it is the same nonsense I was tired of in the 2000s, much less going into the 2020s.

If it was a relatively minor role I wouldn't be worried about it but the majority of the last 4 episodes was dedicated to him and it looks to be just the start. A disappointment in a stellar show.
    Last edited by Dred; 01-25-2019 at 11:23 PM.

BANNED

Huh, I actually liked Cyborg a lot and his design is cool plus his dynamic with Halo is going to be interesting given what they are hosting inside them and on top of that the comics have always missed the mark with the Mother/Father box connections.
    Terra on the other hand is so overdone but Brion's in it so I dunno, maybe they can make it fresh if told from his pov.
    Also did Bane just utterly dominate Batman h2h without venom? WOW, him and Deathstroke are much better than they were in the preceding seasons. Wouldn't be surprised if they set up Bane to takeover the Shadows after Deathstroke loses(the set up is practically there) and possibly takeover his place in the Light and then he breaks Batman during some time skip setting up Dick and Damian as Batman and Robin.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Huh, I actually liked Cyborg a lot and his design is cool plus his dynamic with Halo is going to be interesting given what they are hosting inside them and on top of that the comics have always missed the mark with the Mother/Father box connections.
    Terra on the other hand is so overdone but Brion's in it so I dunno, maybe they can make it fresh if told from his pov.
    Also did Bane just utterly dominate Batman h2h without venom? WOW, him and Deathstroke are much better than they were in the preceding seasons. Wouldn't be surprised if they set up Bane to takeover the Shadows after Deathstroke loses(the set up is practically there) and possibly takeover his place in the Light and then he breaks Batman during some time skip setting up Dick and Damian as Batman and Robin.
    Bane being Batman's martial equal isn't completely unheared of. It's the second most common take besides people devolving him to VenomRoidMonsterMan. Not surprised the YJ team took the more nuanced approach to the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Clairaudient Freedom Soldier View Post
    The Young Justice series is the best version of the DCU and should become the prime reality of the comics too. Give Weisman et al. the keys to the DCU!
    Exactly what I'm saying. The YJ universe is the best version of the DCU ever! Much better than the comics currents and far greater than the DCEU, DCAU, DCAMU, and Arrowverse.

I enjoyed the latest 4 episodes but I'm really hoping the 2nd half of the season focuses more on the team now that it seems like the main storyline for the Outsiders is done (ie find Terra, Shut down the meta trafficking sites).
    Also that Cisco/Vibe cameo was pretty cool. Think we'll be getting him in season 4, if the show is renewed.
    Last edited by El_Gato; 01-26-2019 at 12:59 AM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!