Page 75 of 96 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1437

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    YJ is a surprisingly pessimistic and militaristic version of the DC universe for how loved it is, IMO.
    If you think this show is "pessimistic and milataristic" I wonder what you think of the comics.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Didn't elongated man quit the league with batman?How he was in space?
    That was Plastic Man. Their both stretchy guys but Plastic Mans powers extend far beyond the reach of Elongated's who isn't actually a meta and uses a chemical extract to temporarily gain his elactisity.. however Elongated Man is a near Batman level detective.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If you think this show is "pessimistic and milataristic" I wonder what you think of the comics.
    In the YJ cartoon, the central conflict is described as a war by the characters and essentially ropes all the heroes and villains into two armies locked in a Cold War. No where in the comics are either the heroes or villains so coordinated with their operations or espionage. The heroes use tactical lingo dividing up into alpha, beta, gamma squads and run formations.

One of the central themes of the show is the heroes being forced to sacrifice their integrity and innocence in order to combat the overwhelming forces of evil. All of the central cast is hurt by their own lies and deception and are still shattered by the loss of Wally two years ago.

In the comics, they’ll just kill someone to shock readers and move on.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    In the YJ cartoon, the central conflict is described as a war by the characters and essentially ropes all the heroes and villains into two armies locked in a Cold War. No where in the comics are either the heroes or villains so coordinated with their operations or espionage. The heroes use tactical lingo dividing up into alpha, beta, gamma squads and run formations.

One of the central themes of the show is the heroes being forced to sacrifice their integrity and innocence in order to combat the overwhelming forces of evil. All of the central cast is hurt by their own lies and deception and are still shattered by the loss of Wally two years ago.

In the comics, they’ll just kill someone to shock readers and move on.
    Batman alone has had two different covert ops teams and the Justice League has regularly been treated as amd referred to as an army.

The comics feature murder, torture and retcons of rape or heroic characters haven been evil all along. YJ has always been of the position that secrets and lies are a bad thing and will blow up in your face. The heroes have always been at their most successful when they trusted each other. By contrast, the villains' deception is now screwing them over.

And if mourning a friend who died while not letting it stop you is pessimistic I don't know what you think optimism is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk View Post
    Anyone else notice that little nod with the doorman's name? I find it fitting with the characters they're using. spoilers:
    Kirby Jacob = Jack Kirby
    end of spoilers
    I think the VA was even doing an impression of his voice.

Incredible Member

edit: nevermind newsrama reported old news.
    Last edited by Darkcrusade25; 08-22-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    edit: nevermind newsrama reported old news.
    I saw that too and hoped they had delayed it again to fix Tim's crappy costume.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I wouldn't mind if they created a Wonder Girl to be apart of Jon/Damian's generation. Just curious to see what they come up with.

I don't mind Vixen being deaged like another poster, but I'm not sure if I want her to be a Jon/Damian contemporary.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-23-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I wouldn't mind if they created a Wonder Girl to be apart of Jon/Damian's generation. Just curious to see what they come up with. I don't mind Vixen being deaged like another poster, but I'm not sure if I want her to be a Jon/Damian contemporary.
    No I agree that that would be at least a step too far. I could see the cartoon version of her being Tim's age, but not a comtemporary of Damian's.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I wouldn't mind if they created a Wonder Girl to be apart of Jon/Damian's generation. Just curious to see what they come up with.

I don't mind Vixen being deaged like another poster, but I'm not sure if I want her to be a Jon/Damian contemporary.
    Same. Could do a version of Lyta Trevor, and have Diana and Steve make her from clay. But, just a thought.

Welp...

spoilers:
    We didn't get Slobo, but LONG LIVE THE LEGION!!!

(The waitress seemed to be blonde, so I'm guessing that's Saturn Girl).
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Going forward,Terra has the most potential storylines.

I haven't seen someone to this NUCLEAR and get consumed by a list for revenge since the Metal Gear franchise.

BANNED

Anyone realized G. gordon godfrey disappeared. Where is he? Can he impersonate lex?
    Glad a ship didn't happen.
    Poor brion. Always manipulated.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I've had a strange relationship with the Young Justice cartoon from the beginning. There's so much to love about this show, but my problems with it always keep it at an arm's distance from me.

I really appreciate how deep the show digs into the morality of the superhero community over the ethics of what is the right or wrong course of action. It's important to show that these people are fallible enough to make mistakes, but are willing to own up to them, change, and become better heroes. Drama comes from seeing protagonists fail, pick themselves up again and try again to succeed. In this respect, Young Justice has succeeded, particularly because its main characters are meant to be still learning the ropes.

However, this moral ambiguity has repeatedly left the adult heroes of the Justice League looking ineffectual, or worse, morally compromised. My guess is this is why Superman's role within the League has been so minimized throughout the show, because there's no way to reconcile a properly written Superman with how this show's League has been portrayed. The in-story explanation is presumably that he's too busy raising his new son with Lois to notice that the League is such a useless mess, but that doesn't really make Wonder Woman or the rest of the League come off any better. Batman being portrayed as a manipulative asshat isn't new, unfortunately.

The show's embrace of the sheer vast scope of the DCU is something not seen since the heyday of the DCAU with JLU. Hell, it's even surpassed the DCAU in terms of how much time this show's multi-generational superhero history spans. On the other hand, the show is just so relentlessly unfunny. When it's not trying to be dour, the attempts at humor or levity are often downright painful.I'm not expecting Young Justice to be a carbon copy of the DCAU, but, while that incarnation of DC's animated continuity had its own problems, it was, above all else, genuinely fun most of the time, whereas Young Justice takes itself so damned seriously, it comes off as pretentious more often than not.

I dunno. I really want to love the show, which is why I keep watching, but my problems with it have remained. Maybe the idea of having Black Lightning come in as chairman to course correct the League will fix that issue, and maybe the producers could bring in some new people into the writers room who can punch up the scripts with jokes that aren't so cringe-inducing.

Well, that's a thing.

spoilers:
    Weisman did indeed go a different route with Tara than normal, opening up all new possibilities for the character going forward. Something I've wanted to see for some time. And yeah, the others fully knew she was supposed to be a mole. But unlike her comic counterpart, she's not a psychopath, just a young girl wanting someone to trust in.

But poor Brion. That sucks for him going forward. But at least Lex was kicked out of the UN and Apokolips doesn't have the Anti-Life Equation anymore. But now the Legion. This should be interesting.
    end of spoilers