Page 77 of 96 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1437
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Which episode was that? I'll have to go back and check that out again. Thanks
    Episode 13.

I also found funny when Conner shows up on space un the middle of a battle on episode 20, and Superman was happy to see him again, Conner asked him to be his best man, and he said something like: sure .....wait what? -Conner leaves- man that kid is going to drive crazy.

It's a cliche because it still happens too often. I think there's a happy medium with superhero stories between taking things seriously and not taking them seriously enough. You can certainly go dark places with these characters, but it's got to be balanced with enough levity otherwise the whole thing becomes a bit pretentious.

Even with a dark and brooding character like Batman, there's got to be some moments of genuine humor to acknowledge the ridiculousness of it all. He's a rich guy dressed in a skintight bat-costume beating the crap out of the mentally ill. Yes, the stakes have to feel real, and the characters need to treat them as such, but the writers also need to remember how outrageous the whole idea is, otherwise you end up with Zack Snyder's DCEU. Getting that balance is awfully tricky though. Too far in either direction, you can end up with garbage that appeals to only a small segment of the audience.

Obviously, Young Justice is working with enough people that it's doing something right, but I think there's still room for improvement.
    There is plenty of humor and levity in this show. It just doesn't overtake the story or undercut dramatic tension. Sometimes it's overt, other times it is more subdued but it is there. Constantly pointing out the ridiculousness of your character's premise is neither necessary nor inherently funny.

As I said, this complaint gets thrown at anything that chooses to be more serious than a saturday morning cartoon. I found this criticism silly when it was levelled at the Snyder DC movies and found it even sillier when it gets levelled at Young Justice, at Titans, hell even the Marvel Netflix shows keep getting this. I've been reading superhero comics for years and the level of humor found in YJ was considered good enough for the superhero comics that anyone viewed as well written. It was certainly good enough for the DCAU. It's like nothing else matters to some people if a superhero show or movie doesn't have enough jokes, that the tone or subject matter might require a little less humor to be properly handled be damned.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I can't think of a single joke from Superman on YJ. Granted, he's barely appeared on the show, so it's not like he's had many opportunities, but, when he does show up, I'd like to see him acting more like Superman, who is supposed to be a warm, friendly, and funny guy. He just doesn't feel like Superman to me, and that's a big problem considering how important Superboy is to the show.

If the attempts at humor work for you, that's perfectly fine, but it falls flat for me and I'd like to see them course correct on that front. Given what they've teased for the next season, I think it's likely things will lighten up a tad, hopefully.
    Superman and Connor reunion at the source wall was pretty funny. Connor asked him to be his best man and Superman agreed without thinking about it. Then lamented how being around Connor always makes things weird.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Superman and Connor reunion at the source wall was pretty funny. Connor asked him to be his best man and Superman agreed without thinking about it. Then lamented how being around Connor always makes things weird.
    Not to mention, in season 1 when Superman was joking about how Justice was in the name Justice League when he was introducing the new members in season 1. Not to mention, Superman has mostly been shown in situations where the situation doesn't need him to be warm, friendly or funny (fighting parademons or trying to rescue kidnapped victims). Superman is still Superman in persona, I don't see that much of a deviation from comic Superman.

Incredible Member

I can't think of a single joke from Superman on YJ. Granted, he's barely appeared on the show, so it's not like he's had many opportunities, but, when he does show up, I'd like to see him acting more like Superman, who is supposed to be a warm, friendly, and funny guy. He just doesn't feel like Superman to me, and that's a big problem considering how important Superboy is to the show.

If the attempts at humor work for you, that's perfectly fine, but it falls flat for me and I'd like to see them course correct on that front. Given what they've teased for the next season, I think it's likely things will lighten up a tad, hopefully.
    I have noticed that on this show, Superman started out as cold and aloof towards Superbly, whereas Batman tends to be considerably less so. In fact, Batman stuck up for Billy Batson, when most of the JL wanted to kick him out. Superman's response was non-plus. You would think that Superman would be friendlier towards others, more than most.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I have noticed that on this show, Superman started out as cold and aloof towards Superbly, whereas Batman tends to be considerably less so. In fact, Batman stuck up for Billy Batson, when most of the JL wanted to kick him out. Superman's response was non-plus. You would think that Superman would be friendlier towards others, more than most.
    Of course Batman would stand up for Billy. He's more comfortable lying to allies than most as seen in this season. Friendliness has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Of course Batman would stand up for Billy. He's more comfortable lying to allies than most as seen in this season. Friendliness has nothing to do with it.
    And more comfortable with child soldiers

I thought this finale was solid. Overall this may have been better than season 2 from the broader view, despite clear budget limitations.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 08-28-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post

I thought this finale was solid. Overall this may have been better than season 2 from the broader view, despite clear budget limitations.
    Wonder Woman called him out on that when he revealed he always knew Billy was a kid.

Ultimate Member

Wonder Woman called him out on that when he revealed he always knew Billy was a kid.
    That was a favorite scene of mine.

"How old was Robin when you recruited him to be just like you?"

"I recruited him so that he *wouldn't* turn out just like me..."

Incredible Member

SNIP!
    More like having a connection with orphans who don't have adults in their own lives, but were forced to grow up?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

There is plenty of humor and levity in this show. It just doesn't overtake the story or undercut dramatic tension. Sometimes it's overt, other times it is more subdued but it is there. Constantly pointing out the ridiculousness of your character's premise is neither necessary nor inherently funny.

As I said, this complaint gets thrown at anything that chooses to be more serious than a saturday morning cartoon. I found this criticism silly when it was levelled at the Snyder DC movies and found it even sillier when it gets levelled at Young Justice, at Titans, hell even the Marvel Netflix shows keep getting this. I've been reading superhero comics for years and the level of humor found in YJ was considered good enough for the superhero comics that anyone viewed as well written. It was certainly good enough for the DCAU. It's like nothing else matters to some people if a superhero show or movie doesn't have enough jokes, that the tone or subject matter might require a little less humor to be properly handled be damned.
    You've misunderstood me, I didn't say the YJ didn't have jokes or levity. I said the humor that's there isn't funny enough (or feels forced), so the show's darkness isn't being effectively counterbalanced, which makes the show come off as too self-serious. They could fix this problem by bringing in some writers to punch up the scripts a tad. It doesn't need to be too much, just enough to tip the balance a little more. Like I said, I enjoy the show enough to keep watching, but I think there's room for improvement in terms of humor and making the adult heroes feel so morally compromised. The latter seems like it's something they are addressing with the League's new leader, but the humor is something that I'd like to see them work on. If you're totally satisfied with YJ's quality of humor, that's OK. I just feel differently.

If the self-seriousness of Snyder's DCEU worked for you, along with the similarly grimdark Titans, and the bloated Netflix Marvel shows, that's fair enough. If those shows worked for you, great. They didn't do it for me (and a lot of other people). It's not that I want all superhero shows to be as limiting and simplistic as a Saturday morning cartoon. That's a false choice. A show like Teen Titans Go isn't popular because it doesn't take superheroes seriously. It's beloved because it's extremely funny. Schumacher's Batman & Robin didn't take superheroes seriously either, and that was terrible.

This isn't a choice between one or the other. It's all about getting the balance right. The DCAU nailed that balance. It took its characters seriously, yet always remembered to throw some damned good jokes in there to keep things from getting pretentious. YJ is certainly making some efforts to do that, but their jokes just aren't landing as well as I think they could.

I suspect the waitress is Saturn Girl
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    And now your making me picture Geo-Force going on a Metal Gear villain speech.

Yeah unless there's a really really big time skip Terra and Conner seem set up to be central cast in S4, with the Markov family drama continuing with the fall of Brion (yes he was manipulated and the control seemed stronger later but the desire to kill Bedlam and usurp Gregor to become King came from him if what the guy says about his powers only being able to really nudge is true) and Tara has to deal with THAT, along with her own personal demons and becoming a true hero (that was a really interesting subversion, not something I expected at ALL, like I saw Terra probably turning on Slade but not the full subversion of the Markov siblings with TARA being the one who's basically a fundamentally good person even after everything she's been through and Brion being flawed enough to fall the way he did).

Conner is a public hero now so that's a major change obviously, and with the Legion of Superhero's coming and well Superboy is always involved with them, not Conner before but well there's no other Superboy around here so I suspect he'll play a major role in whatever storyline is going on with the Legion, wonder if it's gonna be travel to the Legions time, some Legionarres coming back to ours or both. And which ones will they use there's a LOT to choose from with the Legion.

and RIP Slobo that was.. a weird thing to do all for a giant audience troll.
    CONNER WAS A MEMBER OF THE LEGION!!!!!
    TWICE: Once when he was on Hawaii, before Knockout when he helped them searching for Valor
    Once as TT when he was on the date with Cassie and then a future Version of him showed up and the TT were then attacked in their tower. This was also when they meet the Titans of Tomorrow the first time.

Mighty Member

Speaking about Superboy:
    One funny scene was when he asked Miss Martian if he can take Wolf
    Another funny scene was the costume party scene where Miss Martian made a mummy out of Superboy
    Another funny scene was in this season when he asked her what she is wearing and she said "My engagement ring"

He didn't stand up for Billy because he's pro-lying. He stood up for him because he took Billy seriously as a hero despite his age.
    And more comfortable with child soldiers.
    That whole conversation went into how Batman doesn't view Robin as a child soldier. He doesn't want Robin to end up like him.
    You've misunderstood me, I didn't say the YJ didn't have jokes or levity. I said the humor that's there isn't funny enough (or feels forced), so the show's darkness isn't being effectively counterbalanced, which makes the show come off as too self-serious. They could fix this problem by bringing in some writers to punch up the scripts a tad. It doesn't need to be too much, just enough to tip the balance a little more. Like I said, I enjoy the show enough to keep watching, but I think there's room for improvement in terms of humor and making the adult heroes feel so morally compromised. The latter seems like it's something they are addressing with the League's new leader, but the humor is something that I'd like to see them work on. If you're totally satisfied with YJ's quality of humor, that's OK. I just feel differently.

If the self-seriousness of Snyder's DCEU worked for you, along with the similarly grimdark Titans, and the bloated Netflix Marvel shows, that's fair enough. If those shows worked for you, great. They didn't do it for me (and a lot of other people). It's not that I want all superhero shows to be as limiting and simplistic as a Saturday morning cartoon. That's a false choice. A show like Teen Titans Go isn't popular because it doesn't take superheroes seriously. It's beloved because it's extremely funny. Schumacher's Batman & Robin didn't take superheroes seriously either, and that was terrible.

This isn't a choice between one or the other. It's all about getting the balance right. The DCAU nailed that balance. It took its characters seriously, yet always remembered to throw some damned good jokes in there to keep things from getting pretentious. YJ is certainly making some efforts to do that, but their jokes just aren't landing as well as I think they could.
    I think the show has about as many jokes as the average serious DCAU episodes. Maybe the jokes just aren't as overt or cartoonish because of the designs and setting compared to, say, the DCAU.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I suspect the waitress is Saturn Girl
    You catch a glimpse of blonde hair when she's walking around. It's definitely Saturn Girl.

Unless surprise Supergirl appearance .