Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    To be fair, not every character needs a love interest. I think that a lot of writers forget that sometimes.
    Oh, for sure you are very right, they tend to be most straight black male hero characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    Whoa, I think you need to relax a bit your coming at this with way too much heat. I have no idea what a hotep is nor do I speak as one, my comments were simply based on history, patterns and factual conclusions. When I spoke on the depictions of black male characters I never specified that homosexuality was an exclusive negative depiction to black males. What I said was that it’s depiction, based on history, has always had some kind of negative undertones and intentions behind it. Whether it was to keep the black male from the white women in terms of potential lover or below white men in terms in terms of status. A lot of black men have caught on to these patterns throughout the years and pointing it out or objecting it is not homophobia. If someone wants to see a character like someone of the same sex then they have every right to but same goes for someone who wants to see a character with someone of the opposite sex. For example the character of Mister Terrific in the show arrow was changed to homosexual and his character was completely altered. In the comics he was the 3rd smartest man and master martial artist in Arrow he is nothing like that. I believe that the depiction severely hurt the character because it made character look completely useless and foolish. Now if someone was to question as to why his character and sexuality was changed they could say it was for inclusion or they could say so he wouldn’t outshine Green Arrow on his show. If Mister Terrific would’ve have kept his normal characteristics than he probably could've been elevated as character by the show but the depiction was poorly received and rightfully so. There’s is nothing wrong with wanting to see a male character get with a woman whether it’s a black man or any other man. Like I said people catch on to the patterns eventually, Blade in his entire trilogy never had a true love interest, Cyborg has never truly had a stable love interest and John Stewart hasn’t been used in a positive light in years. If you want to go to other franchises look at Finns portrayal in Star Wars or Lando Calrissians recent sexuality revelation. When people point this out it’s not homophobic or meant to invoke negative thoughts, but it’s simply questioning why the same thing happens to black men and it’s easily noticeable because there aren’t that many depictions of them.
    While I believe there is truth to this being a concept (Blacks males being desexualized and othered in fiction for the sake of being inferior to Whites/others in general, similar/same as fictional Asian males sometimes/far too often have historically), this in itself cannot rightly be used as a yardstick of measurement for Blacks/Black males to look down on and disdain any portrayal of a Black male character who isn't heterosexual.

Because if we as Blacks were to do this, intentionally or not, that would make us homophobic. It would be a socially and culturally-ingrained reason behind the homophobia for some Blacks, sure, but it would be a form of homophobia nevertheless. It means that there could never be any form of fulfilling, positive, and nuanced non-heterosexual Black male portrayals (as there are for heterosexual portrayals in general, which run the gamut to even include positive portrayals of straight men who have no stable loves in their lives or no love-life in general). Fear and disdain for being othered and desexualized is not enough of a reason to fear and disdain any portrayal, including positive and normative portrayals, of a Black male who isn't heterosexual, as being non-heterosexual does not, and should not, equate to being an "other" or being desexualized.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Oh, for sure you are very right, they tend to be most straight black male hero characters.
    No, authors feeling the need to habitually pair up any/ever character as a matter of course, regardless of whether or if the means by which it is done is complimentary or synchronic to the story or the characters in question and not simply obligatory or even outright detrimental to either or both, tends to be universal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    I think dkrook is just processing the revelation of Aqualads sexuality from a certain viewpoint that most people wouldnÂ’t understand. Historically when it comes to black male non heterosexual depictions in media its was always meant as a form of negativity or emasculation and not inclusion.
    Okay, I can see the argument, now that you explain it this way.

So what's the play then? Seriously asking, so I can understand the perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    To be fair, not every character needs a love interest. I think that a lot of writers forget that sometimes.
    They don't. And sometimes its a good thing (Carol Danvers for example, doesnt need a man in her life, at least at this stage of the game). In Kaldur's case I think it needs to be explored though. Mainly because he's such a reserved guy, he needs a supporting character he can open up to and in most American literature, that's the significant other (his family isn't really well-positioned for it either). And there's not much point to having a non-binary character if you're not going to give them a relationship dynamic to explore.

With Vic, from a character-based standpoint I think it made sense to keep him single early in his career. He's, in effect, just become a whole new species after a significant trauma. That's heavy stuff. He, and the reader, need to understand who he is as well as who he was, before any serious romance is explored. But once he's been active for a while I think it's the way to go; it fits a "mentally healthy" Vic Stone and opens up some new doors, and if nothing else it settles that "eunuch" issue. From a wider standpoint though, the optics of Vic being the only single person on the team when he's also the only black guy looks really bad.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-03-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    No, authors feeling the need to habitually pair up any/ever character as a matter of course, regardless of whether or if the means by which it is done is complimentary or synchronic to the story or the characters in question and not simply obligatory or even outright detrimental to either or both, tends to be universal.
    All that stuff you said is just great. Guess what straight black males that are hero characters 98% time are never written to have romantic relationships with women in comics when being written by especially white male writers. Prove this factual, historical evidence wrong however eloquently you like to say it.

Fantastic Member

I love Kaldur'ahm, and I really like his boyfriend. I think they're cute together. I hope we get to see more!

-signed, a Gay Black man.

Spectacular Member

I like that they're written as actually loving each other. More believable than a lot of relationships from other properties.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk View Post
    I like that they're written as actually loving each other. More believable than a lot of relationships from other properties.

Right? I saw them holding hands and I literally squealed.

I also love the fact that (for once) Young Justice is showing Kaldur's home life and his family unit. We have his mother, his father Calvin and now we're seeing how Dolphin is adapting to Atlantis. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the Flash/Batman/Superman family having little family moments scattered throughout the show, and now we finally get some for Kaldur. I've gotta say it's a really nice change seeing him supported and loved and appreciated by a variety of people (something both seasons 1 and 2 failed to do).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyFan View Post
    I love Kaldur'ahm, and I really like his boyfriend. I think they're cute together. I hope we get to see more!

-signed, a Gay Black man.
    I agree. I also appreciate that Kaldur doesn't feed into (often negative) stereotypes of either group, kind of makes me think of myself in a way haha It's kind of in the same vein that Virgil was a nerdy black kid in his series WITHOUT being Steve Urkel. Though I wonder if Black Manta would care at all as I don't think he does in comics (I'd imagine that he'd care more that Wyynde isn't black. However, looking at Kaldur's mom...that would make him a hypocrite).

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I agree. I also appreciate that Kaldur doesn't feed into (often negative) stereotypes of either group, kind of makes me think of myself in a way haha It's kind of in the same vein that Virgil was a nerdy black kid in his series WITHOUT being Steve Urkel. Though I wonder if Black Manta would care at all as I don't think he does in comics (I'd imagine that he'd care more that Wyynde isn't black. However, looking at Kaldur's mom...that would make him a hypocrite).
    I think Manta wouldn't care about him being male or non-black (at least Earth-16 Manta). He'd care that he was an Atlantean or close to the old Aquaman.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Aquaman 51 preview

The hair gotta go, this ain't it.

Nice preview though.

Spectacular Member

I agree, they look random each panel. Think he'd look good with something like a curl fade.

Nah, I like it. It's a bold choice, it's distinct, it's dynamic, the hair is glorious! KSD writes a great Aqualad, she's very mindful and writes him with lots of personality. I'm excited to see how he develops in her run.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."