Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Damien is a child. Do we even have a clue what his sexuality even is? I can't recall him having a real love interest at all. For all we know, he could be gay or bi or whatever.

Connor Hawke should've been gay. He seemed to be, but I don't think the 90's were ready for that and someone chickened out. If he ever returns? Keep that original characterization.

Garth is firmly established as straight. He's had a wife and kids.

Kaldur? In comics he existed for about five seconds before the reboot and I don't recall his sexuality ever being explored on any level. We assumed he was straight because that's the default, but it's not like the revelation that he's gay in Rebirth contradicted anything. Even if he mentioned having a girlfriend (which I dont remember if he did) its not like young gay men don't date women before realizing what they like.

Not to mention, every other black hero in DC is straight. So if you need that, you've got plenty of options.
    Kaldur actually existed on the show before he was brought into the comics and he was depicted as heterosexual on the show (though I recall Weissman saying something in an online conversation suggesting he was bisexual). But yes, his comic counterpart didn't really have his sexuality explored. There's a scene where he and Lorena are watching Arthur and Mera make out and Lorena warns him against getting any ideas but there's no indication he's even attracted to her.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    To the former, from what I've read, supposedly Chuck Dixon didn't like how much Connor Hawke, a handsome young male who didn't chase or let himself be chased by every female who passed him by and who also had impeccable chemistry with a number of other handsome young males, appealed to the LGBT+ crowd. Going from what I read, this prompted Dixon to write those out-of-nowhere sexual encounters with females, to prove that he's totes not gay or nothin' (if true, I doubt the concept of asexual or aromantic or the like every even crossed Dixon's mind, as long as Connor Hawke didn't have "gay cooties" or something...).
    Really? I have never heard that. Shame, if true. And no, odds are Dixon had never heard of asexuality or anything back then. Most of us hadn't.

For the latter, all I'll say is: fair enough. (My big thing is how the Wallace situation is stigmatized because it is generally only brought up and used by anti-fans as a crutch in their hate rants, a crutch that really doesn't stand-up to even-tempered scrutiny.)
    Oh, I totally agree with you about Wallace. It gets blown way out of proportion. I'm just saying, even though it's a total non-factor, it looked really bad at the time and it's not surprising that people haven't let it go. First impressions matter, right? But you're right, people use it to justify stuff it doesn't really justify, and that's not helpful.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Edit: actually nevermind. Won't get into it.

Here's Jackson from Nick Robles!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Kaldur actually existed on the show before he was brought into the comics and he was depicted as heterosexual on the show (though I recall Weissman saying something in an online conversation suggesting he was bisexual). But yes, his comic counterpart didn't really have his sexuality explored. There's a scene where he and Lorena are watching Arthur and Mera make out and Lorena warns him against getting any ideas but there's no indication he's even attracted to her.
    I wouldn't even put a ton of merit in the cartoon, honestly. He dated Tula briefly while he was still a teen but a lot of gay people date "straight" before figuring their stuff out. In the season 1 finale he didn't kiss Rocket, she grabbed him, and he seemed more shocked than excited. In season 2, Tula is described as Kaldur's "great love" or whatever.....but it was Wally saying that, and he's pretty oblivious. They did use Tula's death to help justify Kaldur's undercover mission....but that's a mission, not necessarily truth. And other than that? Kaldur has had no romantic subplots at all.

Haven't watched season 3 yet though so maybe they delve more into his sexuality there. I'm just saying, even in the cartoon (S1 and 2 anyway) there's been so little done with Kaldur's sexuality I could see him being damn near anything.

And yeah, Weisman said something about some of the OG cast not being straight, and Kaldur's about the only one who didn't have a romance subplot so he's the obvious choice. But until it's actually said on screen it's just talk. Still, I dont think the cartoon does enough to solidify Kaldur as being any sexuality at all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post

Wow he looks really good with that hairstyle and it definitely looks different from other black men from DC.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

October solicitations are here! We getting some Aqualad content y'all!

AQUAMAN #53
    written by KELLY SUE DeCONNICK
    art by ROBSON ROCHA and DANIEL HENRIQUES
    cover by ROBSON ROCHA and JASON PAZ
    variant cover by RAFA SANDOVAL

It’s the reunion everyone will be talking about as Aquaman and Mera finally come face to face! Meanwhile, Aqualad and the Old Gods put the murder charges to rest when the true culprit is revealed…and Black Manta makes his move on Aquaman!

ON SALE 10.16.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES

Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 07-22-2019 at 04:11 PM.

AQUAMAN #54
    writtenby KELLY SUE DeCONNICK
    art by ROBSON ROCHA and DANIEL HENRIQUES
    acetate cover by DAN PANOSIAN
    card stock variant cover by SHANE DAVIS and MICHELLE DELECKI

Black Manta and Mech Manta invade Amnesty Bay with one target in mind—Aqualad! Can Aquaman save his protégé from his deadly lineage? Or will the combined might of the Mantas finally be Arthur Curry’s undoing?

ON SALE 11.20.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    card stock variant cover $4.99

So someone framed Aqualad for murder and I'm guessing that's why he was arrested. Interested to see how this plays out. The solicit says Old Gods but do they mean the Gods that are with Aquaman or the Greek Old Gods?

And I oop- Manta coming after Jackson again.

Was hoping to see him on some covers.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    So someone framed Aqualad for murder and I'm guessing that's why he was arrested. Interested to see how this plays out. The solicit says Old Gods but do they mean the Gods that are with Aquaman or the Greek Old Gods?
    Definitely the gods with Aquaman - they were called Old Gods specifically, and there's no reason for Greek gods to be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Definitely the gods with Aquaman - they were called Old Gods specifically, and there's no reason for Greek gods to be involved.
    Ah right. Poseidon just popped up in my head for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post

Not bad. I like that he has long hair again.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Loving the new hairstyle
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Loving the new hairstyle
    all we need now is for Duke and Wallace to get new do's and we'll have the trinity of black boy joy.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Wow he looks really good with that hairstyle and it definitely looks different from other black men from DC.
    Agreed on both fronts. Definitely nice to have cool, non-typical hairstyle for a Black DC guy (haven't had one of those in a while from DC's Black males).

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

And I oop- Manta coming after Jackson again.

Was hoping to see him on some covers.
    Same. Wanted to see Jackson get some cover action.

looks like they finally incoparated Kaldur's sexuality into Young Justice!
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-30-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."