Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Does he know Aquaman in Rebirth? I liked Jackson in TT and had little problem with Damian giving him those things. Sadly now that Percy isn't using him no other writer seems interested.
    No not yet. Bendis seems to be teasing that many young heroes will get to shine in his wonder comics imprint so hopefully that includes Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Does he know Aquaman in Rebirth? I liked Jackson in TT and had little problem with Damian giving him those things. Sadly now that Percy isn't using him no other writer seems interested.
    He knows of him, but they've never actually met.

I can't think of any spinoff hero who's gone around without meeting their parent hero as long as comic Aqualad has.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Seeing Kaldur again was awesome. We didn't get much of him these three episodes but I love his leading role with the JL. He just fits right in.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    So far there is no news for his comic counterpart but hopefully there will be something for him in 2019!
    Hopefully we'll hear more about the DC Zoom imprint soon. I know it launches this year and Jackson was supposed to be getting his own book by Alex Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I'd definitely not want them to discard what's been done with Jackson in Rebirth so far. That would kinda sour me a bit toward the Young Justice Kaldur, and I'd hate for that to happen. As it is, I'm a little taken aback that Jackson Hyde isn't acknowledged whatsoever in any of the threads opening posts. That's a potential souring point right there.

No, stick with what's happened so far, but actually utilize and (continue to) build up Kaldur. That's the key there.

Limboing him so soon after his re-introduction was a poor move, in my opinion; I wish he and Wally were kept for the new iteration of Teen Titans for the sake of keep the exposure. Giving him some time and a story-arc or subplot in the Aquaman book would be wonderful, though it seems most writers of the "main hero" books are adverse to using the protege heroes in their stories, Williamson's The Flash being an exception and only some of the time (and Superman with Jon, though I'm not sure how much there, either, under BMB's pen).
    Agreed on all points.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe he'll finally meet Aquaman in the comics this year .
    This is also a must. Comic origin makes him half Xebellian and he's already met Garth so he needs to go ahead and travel to Atlantis. With Arthur "lost" he could at least get some time with Mera and start training his abilities more. I feel like his story should be the opposite of Arthur's whereas he was always kind of torn between land and sea (with a slight preference to the Land) Jackson should want to immerse himself in all things Atlantean. Like, he wants to get as far away from the surface as possible and discovering his new "home."

Seeing Kaldur again was awesome. We didn't get much of him these three episodes but I love his leading role with the JL. He just fits right in.
    I did too at first, then to find out that batman pulled a bitch move and walked out. I swear how does that dude gets by being such a hypocrite. He supposed to be leader but he can't even follow??? Then include the overall aesthetic of Kaldur leading the premier superhero group just to have them break down.

Astonishing Member

Jackson is the one in the first pic.

I'm distasteful of the rebirth continuity because they literally gave all the Atlantean heritage things to Damian. He had no business giving him his water bearers and outfit. That should've been used for Aquaman or his mom to give it to him. Brightest Day did it perfectly.

I did enjoy the story with his father since it was alright but all the TT content was bleh.
    That was more an unfortunate side-effect of the Aquaman writer(s) not willing to utilize Jackson. I agree it would have made more sense to reintroduce that part of Brightest Day, but it wasn't something that was possible. Whatever that could have been done, it needed to be done within the confines of Teen Titans.

In spite of the Damian substitution, I like Jackson's Rebirth origins, and his time with the Teen Titans over all. I wouldn't want that to be lost.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 01-05-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Default Found this nifty picture thought I'd share.

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

It is nothing against Jackson Hyde, I root for the version that I think has best chance of long term success and YJ Kaldur is that imo. It isn't just matter of building up Jackson Hyde it is that even when you get him to YJ Kaldur level. You still have alot of building up to do in the after that. Jackson Hyde and Kaldur are fundamentally different what makes Kaldur great is that he is competent,methodically and skilled.Jackson is different from that he is just learning which is interesting as well but journey could take awhile and he get might get limbo'd before making enough progress or getting enough moments to merit using more.

I am not saying get rid of Jackson Hyde he is clearly the base so you are going to keep stuff but accelerating Jackson Hyde to what Kaldur was at beginning of Young Justice should bring long term success. If I was writing since he is limbo it is perfect time to accelerate his growth. The fiction would be he reluctantly trained with Black Manta some(where he gets the tactics and methodically leadership) and He trained in Atlantis with Mera where he pick up skills and fine tune control. Why play around use what is working and figure out the fine tune details later. You have character who is fan favorite who gets used in a way very few minority characters get to used as a leader. If it means losing character who has been limbo'd twice now for character who everyone expects to be a leader and joining the justice league. I say pick the later one the upside is higher

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I hope Jackson gets a chance to shine. Hell I actually like his comic origin more than the YJ version because it feels more in tune with Arthur's history, and I really wish that they would let them meet. I think that Arthur of all people would be able to understand some of what Jackson is going through.

Fantastic Member

So how's Kaldur doing in the Young Justice cartoon? I haven't been able to catch it. I've heard that he's the new leader of the Justice League, so it's cool that they're showcasing his leadership abilities. I hope they give him a love interest in this season. He could use a little love in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Looks like they've Fusion Danced him and Momoa.
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyFan View Post
    So how's Kaldur doing in the Young Justice cartoon? I haven't been able to catch it. I've heard that he's the new leader of the Justice League, so it's cool that they're showcasing his leadership abilities. I hope they give him a love interest in this season. He could use a little love in his life.
    He hasn't done much, but he's established to be leading the League and trying to handle all the stuff that is going on on Earth and in space.

I'm curious if they're going to "out" him this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious if they're going to "out" him this season.
    Loving that fanart.

If they do out Kaldur, and I'd be quite happy if they did, I hope they handle it like Overwatch handled Solder: 76's recent outing; simply, without a ton of fanfare, and without making it the whole purpose behind his character.

For those who don't know, Overwatch is a video game that's been out for a few years. You select one of 29 (and counting) heroes, get put into a team with other players, and your team battles another team of players. One of the characters who's been around since the start is 76; an old, angry soldier who never left the war behind. We've never known much about his past beyond some of his service history. A short story recently published had a moment where he and another character from the game are looking at old photos, and one of them is of 76 and his ex. They talk about him for a moment, and then the story moves on.

That's how I'd like to see Kaldur handled. Have his coming out (and potential love interest) not be a huge thing but just let it unfold as a new aspect of his character we haven't seen yet. Don't shift Kaldur and his journey so this is the whole point of him and drive this one aspect into the entirety of him, just make it a part of the whole. It always feels disingenuous to me when a character suddenly becomes a flag with "See? We have diversity!!" written on it. That's not doing the right thing, it's trying to cash in. If you can't do it right it won't last, and odds are neither will the character. I'd like both Kaldur and his being gay to stick around for a long time, so dont treat it like a gimmick.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Loving that fanart.

If they do out Kaldur, and I'd be quite happy if they did, I hope they handle it like Overwatch handled Solder: 76's recent outing; simply, without a ton of fanfare, and without making it the whole purpose behind his character.

For those who don't know, Overwatch is a video game that's been out for a few years. You select one of 29 (and counting) heroes, get put into a team with other players, and your team battles another team of players. One of the characters who's been around since the start is 76; an old, angry soldier who never left the war behind. We've never known much about his past beyond some of his service history. A short story recently published had a moment where he and another character from the game are looking at old photos, and one of them is of 76 and his ex. They talk about him for a moment, and then the story moves on.

That's how I'd like to see Kaldur handled. Have his coming out (and potential love interest) not be a huge thing but just let it unfold as a new aspect of his character we haven't seen yet. Don't shift Kaldur and his journey so this is the whole point of him and drive this one aspect into the entirety of him, just make it a part of the whole. It always feels disingenuous to me when a character suddenly becomes a flag with "See? We have diversity!!" written on it. That's not doing the right thing, it's trying to cash in. If you can't do it right it won't last, and odds are neither will the character. I'd like both Kaldur and his being gay to stick around for a long time, so dont treat it like a gimmick.
    Considering his new role in the show and his likelihood of screentime, I think it would probably be a matter-of-fact thing and not be treated as a big deal (because there are bigger things going on with his character anyways).

It's just something I'm wondering if they'll do since Greg Weisman teased whether Kaldur was really straight on Twitter before and then you have Jackson in Rebirth (which is maybe part of why Johns teased it), although I think you could make the argument that Kaldur isn't Jackson Hyde...but I guess we'll see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    One always has to be careful with trying to low-key an outing for the supposed sake of not stirring much fanfare or being "natural" (there are enough different circumstances that no one case is universally "natural"). Not all would consider such actions earnest or sincere, especially if done truly poorly (so, in a complete dismissively incidental fashion), and may well consider such as merely "paying lip-service" (from what I have gathered, that's considered something of a pet peeve).

So I don't know. I can understand not wanting it to take over, but considering Kaldur's current "kicked upstairs" reality on the show, something his own like genuinely exploring Kaldur and a male love interest would be seriously nice to have. Glossing over it with an "oh by the way..." when Kaldur isn't really getting much direct focus as it is wouldn't come over well, I would think.

While you and others may (have) laud(ed) your example given, it could also be seen as tacked on. Incidental, in a bad way. It feels that way for just reading how you describe it. With Kaldur's state as it is, I, at least, would want something more thorough and nuanced. For lack of better terms, blatant and unapologetic. And I get the notion that isn't a strange thing to want.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 01-11-2019 at 08:03 AM.

No not yet. Bendis seems to be teasing that many young heroes will get to shine in his wonder comics imprint so hopefully that includes Jackson.
    I hope so he's too good to waste