Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    One always has to be careful with trying to low-key an outing for the supposed sake of not stirring much fanfare or being "natural" (there are enough different circumstances that no one case is universally "natural"). Not all would consider such actions earnest or sincere, especially if done truly poorly (so, in a complete dismissively incidental fashion), and may well consider such as merely "paying lip-service" (from what I have gathered, that's considered something of a pet peeve).

So I don't know. I can understand not wanting it to take over, but considering Kaldur's current "kicked upstairs" reality on the show, something his own like genuinely exploring Kaldur and a male love interest would be seriously nice to have. Glossing over it with an "oh by the way..." when Kaldur isn't really getting much direct focus as it is wouldn't come over well, I would think.

While you and others may (have) laud(ed) your example given, it could also be seen as tacked on. Incidental, in a bad way. It feels that way for just reading how you describe it. With Kaldur's state as it is, I, at least, would want something more thorough and nuanced. For lack of better terms, blatant and unapologetic. And I get the notion that isn't a strange thing to want.
    All entirely true. I dont think there's a way to do this that makes everyone happy. Personally, I usually prefer these things to not become the sole reason the character gets any attention and when they make a huge deal out of it and it becomes the only plot point the character has, I become extremely bored and end up seeing the whole thing as a cheap gimmick. But certainly there are people who would see a "under the wave" approach as trying to sweep it under the rug.

And I do want a love interest brought into these situations (that balances out the "swept under the rug" problem), because if you're not showing it, there's no point. But there's a lot of Kaldur's character beyond his orientation; fun, cool, quality traits and concepts and ideas that, if they were always subsumed by a "Kaldur's gay! Look! We get it!" narrative, would (in my mind) make him far less than he is. I have little interest in seeing everything about Superman pushed out of sight so DC can explore his relationship with Lois, and I'd likewise hate to see everything about Kaldur dropped and the whole purpose of his character becoming a statement on his sexuality.

Handle it the way people handled Kate Kane, and you should be fine. There was far more to Kate than her sexuality but writers didn't shy away from it either. All I want is a well balanced character; not a socio-political statement that doesn't have any teeth to it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering his new role in the show and his likelihood of screentime, I think it would probably be a matter-of-fact thing and not be treated as a big deal (because there are bigger things going on with his character anyways).
    Im not watching the show yet, so I can't speak too much about what they're doing. I figured when they announced Kaldur was in the League that he wouldn't get a ton of screen time. And if they reveal that he's gay this season I do want some attention on that. I want a love interest and some exploration of what it's like being a gay man in the heroic community. But I want more than just that out of him too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

If they're going to out Kaldur, then I pray they do it correctly. DC doesn't need a Voltron situation to occur. Voltron was put in a coffin because of how they handled one of its characters.

I don't understand why they have to make him gay in the show anyway. Can they just let dude be an active hero? He's gay in the book already and teen titans have emasculated him courtesy of baby batman. Let him be the alpha Male hero that kicks butt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I don't understand why they have to make him gay in the show anyway. Can they just let dude be an active hero? He's gay in the book already and teen titans have emasculated him courtesy of baby batman. Let him be the alpha Male hero that kicks butt.
    Being gay in no way precludes being a kicker of butt, or an awesome hero. Just sayin'.

Fantastic Member TrooperCameron's Avatar

Think Mr. Weisman mentioned that he had a few more seasons for the show planned out even before it finished its run on Cartoon Network. So whatever he had planned out for Kaldur is maybe already set. With him being top dog on the league they might not even have time to address his orientation. I'm no expert but wouldn't he be bi if they follow the Jackson Hyde rebirth route, since he for sure had a thing for Tula. To me Kaldur and Jackson are almost polar opposites.
    Last edited by TrooperCameron; 01-11-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrooperCameron View Post
    I'm no expert but wouldn't he be bi if they follow the Jackson Hyde rebirth route, since he for sure had a thing for Tula.
    Not necessarily.

When Kaldur had a thing for Tula he was pretty young, and not everyone figures out their orientation young. I know a lot of gay people who were in serious relationships, even married with kids, before they were able to accept the reality that they weren't straight. I see it among older people (who grew up in less enlightened times) but I still see it with younger people too.

I also question just how valid Kaldur's feelings for Tula were. We know that, as a young teen, he had feelings for her. But he never says he loves her; when Tula is called "the love of his life" that's Wally speaking, not Kaldur. And using Tula's death to help explain Kaldur's "betrayal" (undercover mission) was just that; a cover. Aside from yelling about the League and Team letting her die (part of his cover, as there were people there who didn't know) he doesn't mention her. At the end of season 1, he doesn't kiss Rocket; she kisses him and he doesn't have much of a reaction (just surprised? Or did it just not do anything for him?). Weisman has also said some OG characters aren't straight, and by the process of elimination Kaldur's about the only one that makes any sense.

Kaldur could indeed be bi. Hell, we've seen so little of his love life he could be practically anything. But just because he liked a girl when he wasn't even old enough to drive doesn't mean he actually likes girls.

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member TrooperCameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Not necessarily.

When Kaldur had a thing for Tula he was pretty young, and not everyone figures out their orientation young. I know a lot of gay people who were in serious relationships, even married with kids, before they were able to accept the reality that they weren't straight. I see it among older people (who grew up in less enlightened times) but I still see it with younger people too.

I also question just how valid Kaldur's feelings for Tula were. We know that, as a young teen, he had feelings for her. But he never says he loves her; when Tula is called "the love of his life" that's Wally speaking, not Kaldur. And using Tula's death to help explain Kaldur's "betrayal" (undercover mission) was just that; a cover. Aside from yelling about the League and Team letting her die (part of his cover, as there were people there who didn't know) he doesn't mention her. At the end of season 1, he doesn't kiss Rocket; she kisses him and he doesn't have much of a reaction (just surprised? Or did it just not do anything for him?). Weisman has also said some OG characters aren't straight, and by the process of elimination Kaldur's about the only one that makes any sense.

Kaldur could indeed be bi. Hell, we've seen so little of his love life he could be practically anything. But just because he liked a girl when he wasn't even old enough to drive doesn't mean he actually likes girls.
    Possible, but a bit complex for a animated show about superheroes, with his already small screen time. That same thing could apply for every character on the show besides Wally and Superboy. But I guess they may follow the current animation trend and show it on some season finale or something.

Im just saying, what little the show has done with Kaldur's love life hasn't been enough to establish him as anything (in my mind anyway). The show could handwave Tula with a line or two of dialogue. "I cared for her deeply, but I was young and mistook affection for love." Problem solved, Kaldur outed, we can meet his boyfriend and the story can continue.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by TrooperCameron View Post
    Think Mr. Weisman mentioned that he had a few more seasons for the show planned out even before it finished its run on Cartoon Network. So whatever he had planned out for Kaldur is maybe already set. With him being top dog on the league they might not even have time to address his orientation. I'm no expert but wouldn't he be bi if they follow the Jackson Hyde rebirth route, since he for sure had a thing for Tula. To me Kaldur and Jackson are almost polar opposites.
    That's before someone got the idea to backdoor a straight black Male character into a gay one, it seemed to be a weird trend with both companys for a short time. I read the Aquaman book Kaldur debuts in. There was no hinting at bi or gay anything, same thing with an x-character named Prodigy.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

So Aqualad wasn't in the new YJ season as much but I loved every appearance and here is a sneak peek at the later half of the season.

We're going to get a showdown between Waller and Aqualad and I'm pumped!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    So Aqualad wasn't in the new YJ season as much but I loved every appearance and here is a sneak peek at the later half of the season.

We're going to get a showdown between Waller and Aqualad and I'm pumped!
    That Aquaman didn't get much screen-time or focus in this half of the Season sucks. I'm not surprised, because I figured it would play out like that, but it does suck. Kaldur got even shorter a stick than he did in Season 2. It's what I was hoping against earlier, as a promotion doesn't mean as much if we don't really get to take it all it. Like I said, Kaldur was essentially "kicked upstairs" becoming Aquaman. With the lack of focus for both Kaldur and most all of the younger Team members, sans a focus episode for Beast Boy that still integrated members of the original 6 (the 4 of them that are still relevant, anyway), the idea that this will continue in the latter half is an apparent one. Still, all that can be done is hope this won't be the case.

I wonder what Waller has to do with anything to the point where she's fighting Aquaman? Seems like a mismatch.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I wonder what Waller has to do with anything to the point where she's fighting Aquaman? Seems like a mismatch.
    I presume it's running a covert ops group made of Supervillains whose brains she could blow up with a switch (and includes his dad) .

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    That's before someone got the idea to backdoor a straight black Male character into a gay one, it seemed to be a weird trend with both companys for a short time. I read the Aquaman book Kaldur debuts in. There was no hinting at bi or gay anything, same thing with an x-character named Prodigy.
    The change came out of nowhere. Nothing against it but it feels like reading two different characters when you put both side by side. There's the bi route to have some measure of cohesion but I think he's been only portrayed as gay not bi. That is until another writer comes along. Either way hopefully we get to see more of him in the later half of season 3. Really hope he becomes a member of the YJ crew in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I presume it's running a covert ops group made of Supervillains whose brains she could blow up with a switch (and includes his dad) .
    Wow I feel like an idiot. Hadn't considered that.