Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    AQUAMAN #50
    written by KELLY SUE DeCONNICK
    art by ROBSON ROCHA and DANIEL HENRIQUES
    cover by ROBSON ROCHA and JASON PAZ
    variant cover by RYAN SOOK

As Aquaman settles the Old Gods of Unspoken Water into their new lives in Amnesty Bay, Jackson Hyde, a.k.a. Aqua-lad, seeks out Aquaman to be his new mentor! Back in Atlantis, Mera makes a move that shocks the Widowhood.
    Meanwhile, Black Manta, recently kicked out of the Legion of Doom, prepares to make his next move against his greatest nemesis…but Lex Luthor is about to make him an offer he can’t refuse. Don’t miss our landmark 50th issue and the start of a brand-new story!

On the one hand - Yay! Jackson is finally meeting Aquaman .

On the other - Stupid movie synergy Aquaman design. He doesn't even look like that in the movies anymore .

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

On the other - Stupid movie synergy Aquaman design. He doesn't even look like that in the movies anymore .
    I thought this look was going to be for one arc but seems like its in for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I agree this design has nothing of the movie or the classic comic Aquaman. However as you pointed out the fact that Jackson is in, maybe they are starting to fix things although it is still a long way, Mera still not with Arthur, Tula still no mention of. Even Arthur's role, either he's the king of the seven seas or not.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I hope they give Jackson his Atlanteon name Kaldur.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 04-12-2019 at 03:14 PM.

I hope they give Jackson his Atlanteon name Kaldur.
    I think that would be the best way to fit in his Young Justice name, like Kon-El/Conner.

AQUAMAN #50
    written by KELLY SUE DeCONNICK
    art by ROBSON ROCHA and DANIEL HENRIQUES
    cover by ROBSON ROCHA and JASON PAZ
    variant cover by RYAN SOOK

As Aquaman settles the Old Gods of Unspoken Water into their new lives in Amnesty Bay, Jackson Hyde, a.k.a. Aqua-lad, seeks out Aquaman to be his new mentor! Back in Atlantis, Mera makes a move that shocks the Widowhood.
    Meanwhile, Black Manta, recently kicked out of the Legion of Doom, prepares to make his next move against his greatest nemesis…but Lex Luthor is about to make him an offer he can’t refuse. Don’t miss our landmark 50th issue and the start of a brand-new story!

This looks interesting. I'm glad to see Aqualad and Aquaman finally getting to meet. It's nice that Black Manta is showing up as well.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Does Aqualad know that Arthur murdered his grandfather?

Finally. I've been waiting soooooo long for Jackson and Arthur to meet in this new timeline. AND Manta is popping up so there's bound to be a whole lot of mess. Very excited to see what Kelly Sue does with Jackson as I've been loving her run so far.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Does Aqualad know that Arthur murdered his grandfather?
    I'm actually trying to remember if Manta told him or not. I just think he mentioned Jackson's grandfather was dead.

Astonishing Member

I absolutely love this fanart! I miss Brightest Day's Jackson, especially his design. It was wonderful to see someone with that beautifully dark skin tone with dreads like those; both aspects, particularly the dreads, are few and far in between in Superhero land (as opposed to Black males with "respectable" buzz-cuts with designs in them). While I understand Rebirth's redesign puts him more visually closer to Kaldur, I wish they had stuck to his Brightest Day look.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Honestly, as much as I like the YJ version, I feel as though the comicbook version had a great deal of potential.

Not to mention the YJ version I felt skipped a lot of character progression with Kaldur. I kind of like the fact that he has no confidence in himself in the comic only to grow into the heroic YJ portrayal.
    Sometimes, I feel the same way with YJ's Kaldur, especially after Season 1. And especially compared to everyone else, sans maybe Wally (and even then, one could argue in Wally's favor). Comparatively, Jackson's progressions are more consistently apparent (when he's in a comic, at least).

Astonishing Member

Well Jackson is coming back and meeting Aquaman Finally!
    Took their collective sweet time, but finally! Hope they're planning to commit to Jackson in the main Aquaman book during this story and beyond. Something akin to Wally/Wallace in The Flash, but better and more consistent (because when he's used, I feel he's used great, once again, Kid Flash is AFK in that book). And anything but Duke in King's Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    seems more classic Aquaman, than recent story arc, but still no Aquaman and Mera reunited!!
    At the moment, I'm more worried about Jackson/Aqualad (is Aqua-lad the new canon spelling?), since he's the one who's in limbo.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 04-13-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Took their collective sweet time, but finally! Hope they're planning to commit to Jackson in the main Aquaman book during this story and beyond. Something akin to Wally/Wallace in The Flash, but better and more consistent (because when he's used, I feel he's used great, once again, Kid Flash is AFK in that book). And anything but Duke in King's Batman.

At the moment, I'm more worried about Jackson/Aqualad (is Aqua-lad the new canon spelling?), since he's the one who's in limbo.
    Aquaman mostly revolves around arthur and mera. With one of them out of the picture, the book suffers badly, the sales confirm this, especially the last four issues in which Mera hardly makes a show, has led to Aquaman sales at their lowest in years. Aqualad back is a positive but will not impact that much. The two leads are the major characters, the rest of the cast revolves around them. With Aqualad I hope a more traditional Aquaman comic run, with characters such as vulko, tula, orm also making a comeback. With Aqualad in the limbo under geoff jones, aquaman had one of the highest number of sales in its recent history. Now Given an initial prominence in his comeback aqualad will fade into a secondary role. He's part of the supporting cast. Acast that has been sidelined for too long.

The book needs to find its feet Again, Aqualad is a step in the right direction but not a decisive one.Other issues are very important, mostly Arthur's role as king, its the central part of the story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Aquaman mostly revolves around arthur and mera. With one of them out of the picture, the book suffers badly, the sales confirm this, especially the last four issues in which Mera hardly makes a show, has led to Aquaman sales at their lowest in years. Aqualad back is a positive but will not impact that much. The two leads are the major characters, the rest of the cast revolves around them. With Aqualad I hope a more traditional Aquaman comic run, with characters such as vulko, tula, orm also making a comeback. With Aqualad in the limbo under geoff jones, aquaman had one of the highest number of sales in its recent history. Now Given an initial prominence in his comeback aqualad will fade into a secondary role. He's part of the supporting cast. Acast that has been sidelined for too long.

The book needs to find its feet Again, Aqualad is a step in the right direction but not a decisive one.Other issues are very important, mostly Arthur's role as king, its the central part of the story.
    Part of the feelings behind what I said are due this thread being an appreciation thread for Kaldur & Jackson.

Another part, however, is that I know Jackson, despite the early Rebirth hurrah, is in limbo and has no home and, prior to the surprise of this solicit, had no inkling of ever finding a comic book home in the foreseeable future, compared to Mera who is and almost always is getting page-time somewhere. I'm not as worried for Mera's future in the Aquaverse and DC in general because she's never been consistently absent from it. Not anytime recently, at least.

In this regard, most of what you say is kind of beside the point and neither here nor there.

And on a different note, I definitely hope Jackson isn't showing up to get the "Duke Thomas in King's Batman run" treatment, where the character is there in lip-service fashion only, and before long not even that much. That is why I mentioned I hope they plan on going all-in with the idea of Jackson seeking out Arthur for the purpose of developing a mentor/mentee relationship. Ideally, this would develop into something closer and more familial over time. Again, Jackson getting more involved in the Aquaverse and meeting and developing a relationship with Arthur has been a long time coming, especially since Rebirth started. Too long, technically. So I hope they will do Jackson/Aqualad justice in whatever direction the book goes.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 04-13-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Part of the feelings behind what I said are due this thread being an appreciation thread for Kaldur & Jackson.

Another part, however, is that I know Jackson, despite the early Rebirth hurrah, is in limbo and has no home and, prior to the surprise of this solicit, had no inkling of ever finding a comic book home in the foreseeable future, compared to Mera who is and almost always is getting page-time somewhere. I'm not as worried for Mera's future in the Aquaverse and DC in general because she's never been consistently absent from it. Not anytime recently, at least.

In this regard, most of what you say is kind of beside the point and neither here nor there.

And on a different note, I definitely hope Jackson isn't showing up to get the "Duke Thomas in King's Batman run" treatment, where the character is there in lip-service fashion only, and before long not even that much. That is why I mentioned I hope they plan on going all-in with the idea of Jackson seeking out Arthur for the purpose of developing a mentor/mentee relationship. Ideally, this would develop into something closer and more familial over time. Again, Jackson getting more involved in the Aquaverse and meeting and developing a relationship with Arthur has been a long time coming, especially since Rebirth started. Too long, technically. So I hope they will do Jackson/Aqualad justice in whatever direction the book goes.

You claim that Mera never been consistently absent, do you consider 3pages in 4 issues as being present? or having a page appearance in JL is being present? The Latest issue of aquaman, Mera appeared in 2 panels. She is the co star of the book!! Off course she has a future, it will be a madness not to include her, however since she has been sidelined, the sales have dropped to their lowest ever. Aquaman is on a drop watch list. As an aquafan I am concerned by this... we can have the same fate of Green Arrow. My hopes are all on the new July start to save the book.

Putting aside that, I think you are expecting too much from an Aquaman/Aqualad mentor relationship, there will be no return to pre New52. Forget familiar relationships, that Aquaman comic run is over. Even the word Aquafam today does not make any sense.

ALL of us look forward to Aqualad's return, as its somehow return to the basics, but AGAIN it will solve nothing ALONE. He will have an initial prominence but is destined to be a secondary role, unless they solve Arthur's role. If he's king again, Jackson may have a role as his man of trust. In that case he can have his space and role. But forget the old Aquaman sidekick role.

Astonishing Member

Again, this is really neither here nor there to things, since this isn't really a thread about Mera (in addition to being a bit too negative/loud in tone, given the circumstances).