Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are the Best Hero/Villain Dynamic in the DCU?

What hero and villain have the most interesting dynamic in the DC Universe?

I really like the Superman and Lex Luthor dynamic. And it's very different to Batman/Joker. Both very good and compelling in their own way. DC has great villains.

But there is more. I'm not sure about Wonder Woman. Really don't know enough about her mythos.

Superman/Lex is the best in my opinion. Superman is the embodiment of hope and altruism and Lex personifies greed, ego, and selfishness. Lex is one of if not the smartest person in the DCU. He could have killed Superman and conquered earth dozens of times but his ego keeps getting in the way. He’s such a narcissistic sociopath that he just can’t stand that Superman gets more public adulation. It’s been said that he doesn’t believe Clark is Superman because his mind can’t comprehend someone having all that god-like power and using to help others. There has to be a catch!!!

Hal Jordan and Sinestro is pretty good too. It’s the classic mentor becomes evil and pupil takes up the mantel.

Mister Miracle/Darkseid is another favorite of mine. I’ve always thought that Scott is the true opposite of Darkseid and a better foil than Orion. Darkseid represents totalitarian subjugation, hatred, fear, etc. Mister Miracle embodies the willingness to break free from subjugation/restraints, love, and courage. Darkseid is anti-life and Scott is life.

The Wonder Woman/Cheetah dynamic is interesting just because I like what they’ve done with Cheetah in recent years. Barbara Minerva idolized Wonder Woman and wanted to be a demi-goddess too. But she made a deal with a pretty messed up god and was changed into a monster that needs to hunt and quench her bloodlust. She’s like a dark reflection of Wonder Woman. Diana was granted great power, beauty, and intelligence while Barbara was changed into a horrible monster. Reminds me of Perseus and Calibos from Clash of the Titans.
    Last edited by Robotman; 09-12-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Hal v. Sinestro is also interesting because it's about absolute control vs. absolute freedom and independence. Sinestro also wants to prove himself right to Jordan - that his way is the correct way; he seems to need that moral victory more than he wants Jordan dead, when Hal couldn't care less and has nothing to prove - he just knows Sinestro is wrong and stops him because he's evil and it's his duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Superman/Lex is the best in my opinion. Superman is the embodiment of hope and altruism and Lex personifies greed, ego, and selfishness. Lex is one of if not the smartest person in the DCU. He could have killed Superman and conquered earth dozens of times but his ego keeps getting in the way. He’s such a narcissistic sociopath that he just can’t stand that Superman gets more public adulation. It’s been said that he doesn’t believe Clark is Superman because his mind can’t comprehend someone having all that god-like power and using to help others. There has to be a catch!!!

Hal Jordan and Sinestro is pretty good too. It’s the classic mentor becomes evil and pupil takes up the mantel.

Mister Miracle/Darkseid is another favorite of mine. I’ve always thought that Scott is the true opposite of Darkseid and a better foil than Orion. Darkseid represents totalitarian subjugation, hatred, fear, etc. Mister Miracle embodies the willingness to break free from subjugation/restraints, love, and courage. Darkseid is anti-life and Scott is life.

The Wonder Woman/Cheetah dynamic is interesting just because I like what they’ve done with Cheetah in recent years. Barbara Minerva idolized Wonder Woman and wanted to be a demi-goddess too. But she made a deal with a pretty messed up god and was changed into a monster that needs to hunt and quench her bloodlust. She’s like a dark reflection of Wonder Woman. Diana was granted great power, beauty, and intelligence while Barbara was changed into a horrible monster. Reminds me of Perseus and Calibos from Clash of the Titans.
    I really like how you explained the Lex/Superman dynamic.

What about Superman/Brainiac? I feel like Brainiac acts like a God who can decide who dies and who lives. The opposite to Superman, who cares about all life.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Superman/Lex are my favourite, They are two equal and opposite concepts personifies IMO, Superman is selfless,altruism, And brings hope to others, Has godlike power but he always puts among normal people even though he is an alien. Lex on the contrary, Selfishness, greed, ego,Conquering and plundering others, He is a human but always think himself above others
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Superman/doomsday cause they can punch each other soooo hard.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Superman/doomsday cause they can punch each other soooo hard.
    Because Doomsday is pure remorseless destruction, whereas Superman is the ultimate protecter and embodiment of compassion.

I have a soft spot for Flash vs. Reverse-Flash just because of how much pure, obsessive, and petty Eobard Thawne gets when it comes to Barry Allen. Just seeing how much one man's hatred of another for just the slightest of reasons can developing into a centuries spanning rivalry of biblical proportions just does it for me.

Extraordinary Member

Superman/Lex
    Green Lantern/Sinestro
    Batman/Two-Face
    Wonder Woman/Cheetah
    Aquaman/Black Manta
    Flash/Grodd
    Martian Manhunter/Despero
    Nightwing/Deathstroke

It seems to me heroes frequently have two main types of antagonists who provide an interesting dramatic dynamic - the "flip side of the same coin" villains or the "complete polar opposite" villain.

For Batman, the "flip side of the same coin" villain is (naturally) Two-Face - a righteous man whose inability to reconcile his more violent tendencies lead to tragedy and villainy while the "complete polar opposite" villain is Joker - a man who essentially chooses to embrace the chaos, misery and cruelty of life rather than stand against it.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-13-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It seems to me heroes frequently have two main types of antagonists who provide an interesting dramatic dynamic - the "flip side of the same coin" villains or the "complete polar opposite" villain.

For Batman, the "flip side of the same coin" villain is (naturally) Two-Face - a righteous man who's inability to reconcile his more violent tendencies lead to tragedy and villainy while the "complete polar opposite" villain is Joker - a man who essentially chooses to embrace the chaos, misery and cruelty of life rather than stand against it.
    Superman has Zod as the flip side of the same coin while Luthor is his polar opposite.

Aquaman has Ocean Master as the flip side of the same coin while Black Manta is his polar opposite.

I'm not sure where Captain Cold and Reverse-Flash fit for Flash. I feel like you could make an argument for both fitting either one depending on how you lean into their characterization.

Then there's the "force of nature" nemesis: Ra's Al Ghul, Brainiac, Grodd, Circe, etc.

DC's primary characters typically have a great opposite number adversary:

Superman - Luthor
    Batman - Joker
    Flash - Thawne
    Green Lantern - Sinestro
    Wonder Woman - Cheetah (guessing??)

Bats, Supes and Flash have a plethora of well-developed villains, which may be a factor in their longevity. There are lots of great characters that just don't have a villain that can generate enthusiasm with a blurb like "Next issue: Luthor's return!" Decades of history, conflict and classic stories. Correlation?

Flash - Any of his rogues
    Jonah Hex - Woodson Hex
    Superman - Bizarro
    Supergirl - Lena Luthor (Pre-Crisis)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    DC's primary characters typically have a great opposite number adversary:

Superman - Luthor
    Batman - Joker
    Flash - Thawne
    Green Lantern - Sinestro
    Wonder Woman - Cheetah (guessing??)

Bats, Supes and Flash have a plethora of well-developed villains, which may be a factor in their longevity. There are lots of great characters that just don't have a villain that can generate enthusiasm with a blurb like "Next issue: Luthor's return!" Decades of history, conflict and classic stories. Correlation?
    Cheetah is pretty definitively Wonder Woman's archnemesis, at least as far as pop culture is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Cheetah is pretty definitively Wonder Woman's archnemesis, at least as far as pop culture is concerned.
    in the 70s