Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I only read the first arc of Green Lanterns and a story in one of the holiday specials but I really, really like what I've read of Jessica. A Green Lantern with Generalized Anxiety Disorder is the sort of I-can't-believe-no-one-thought-of-that before genius that only Geoff Johns could come up with. I mean, I'm ambivalent about Johns in general (sometime love his stuff, sometimes really hate it) but he's a master at this sort of thing and hats off to him for creating such a great character.

By the way, does Green Lanterns get better? I loved the characters - or Jess, at least, I only started to come around to Simon by the end there - but man was the plot boring in the first arc. Though, to be sure, it might just be that I'm utterly sick of the bloody Rainbow Corps (another great Johns idea that was unfortunately beaten to death years ago) but it was massively decompressed and not all that interesting to begin with.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    By the way, does Green Lanterns get better? I loved the characters - or Jess, at least, I only started to come around to Simon by the end there - but man was the plot boring in the first arc. Though, to be sure, it might just be that I'm utterly sick of the bloody Rainbow Corps (another great Johns idea that was unfortunately beaten to death years ago) but it was massively decompressed and not all that interesting to begin with.
    I think the book, and Humphries run, improves a lot from the first arc, particularly as the relationship and character dynamic between Simon and Jessica becomes more developed.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like Jessica. Of course, like everyone, at first I don't like the idea of yet another human earth Lantern, but she's so awkward and unique. Green Lantern is about having the willpower to overcome fear, and Jessica's life is all about fear, so it's very fitting.

f6db57041bbe56d1e2a27d0f01c380e7._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I like Jessica. Of course, like everyone, at first I don't like the idea of yet another human earth Lantern, but she's so awkward and unique. Green Lantern is about having the willpower to overcome fear, and Jessica's life is all about fear, so it's very fitting.

f6db57041bbe56d1e2a27d0f01c380e7._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    I used to hate Jessica Cruz. Not because of there being too many Lanterns (I was fairly new to comics so I didn't really care yet) but the anxiety angle just wasn't connecting. However, watching her grow, learn to cope and eventually overcome her anxiety and trauma really made her character endearing to me. She's easily in my top 3 Lanterns, a close 2nd to John Stewart and tie with John when she's paired up with Simon Baz.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Jessica is about to have a good year it seems. From being a main character in the revamped Super Hero Girls animated series on CN and now being the main character in JL vs FF... As a Jess fan, I couldn't be any happier
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

The comics side isn't so hot though. With Titans cancelled, will Justice League Odyssey also get the axe, to free up Starfire for a Titans relaunch? Where would that leave Jessica?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Amazing Member

Wait, JLO is getting the axe? Noooo.

It is good to see the animated department being committed to the character. They likely won't start pushing her over Hal everywhere but she does need more exposure. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It is good to see the animated department being committed to the character. They likely won't start pushing her over Hal everywhere but she does need more exposure. Get your mind out of the gutter.
    Between Hal, Jessica, and John I think they're probably going to be the GL's with the most media exposure moving forward.

(Which kind of leaves the other three main Earth Lanterns in the lurch).

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Jessica is about to have a good year it seems. From being a main character in the revamped Super Hero Girls animated series on CN and now being the main character in JL vs FF... As a Jess fan, I couldn't be any happier
    I am happy for heard this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Between Hal, Jessica, and John I think they're probably going to be the GL's with the most media exposure moving forward.

(Which kind of leaves the other three main Earth Lanterns in the lurch).
    WOW.. And she was on JL newbie when I started in the comics..

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    My prediction of Hal, John and Jessica being the main GL's looks even more likely as time passes on. Not bad for such a young character.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zudomon View Post
    Wait, JLO is getting the axe? Noooo.
    its not getting axed, he was only questioning if it would.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Yeah. What I had in mind was that they might decide to relaunch Titans with the TV show's characters. That's Nightwing, Beast Boy, Raven, Starfire, and Donna Troy. For that to happen, Starfire needs freeing up, which would mean JLO would have to go (they also need to resolve that Ric Grayson nonsense in Nightwing). All I was doing was thinking, what would happen to Jessica Cruz if Justice League Odyssey was cancelled?

Fatal Five sneak peek breakdown:
    http://www.watchtowerdatabase.com/20...eek-breakdown/

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I loved her in the Hitch/Preist JL Rebirth books, respectively.

She's gotta be my second favorite GL (after Hal), because of the loads of anxiety she faces.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-21-2019 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    My prediction of Hal, John and Jessica being the main GL's looks even more likely as time passes on. Not bad for such a young character.
    I agree with this prediction. I really wouldn’t be surprised if Hal and John were the focus of the first Green Lantern Corps. movie and Jessica is included in the second. Or even have have her show up in the first flick. Maybe Hal as the veteran and John and Jessica as the new recruits. DC and Marvel are trying to get some diversity in their respective universes and as a Hispanic woman, Jessica is a perfect candidate for a push. Plus the fact that she deals with mental health issues makes her very relatable to a lot of people.