Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Definitely. Jessica is female, that's a major advantage in this modern era of equality. If they chose to reduce the Earth GLs from six to three, it'd almost certainly be Guy, Kyle and Simon who get the chop.

Also, Jessica is in DC Superhero Girls, whereas Simon's never been used in the kids cartoons.
    He was planned to be in Green Lantern: The Animated Series, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Simon's more in danger then Jessica is at this point.
    Wasn't there a fan theory that he was an unnamed Green Lantern killed off in an attack on Earth in a previous comic?

Definitely. Jessica is female, that's a major advantage in this modern era of equality. If they chose to reduce the Earth GLs from six to three, it'd almost certainly be Guy, Kyle and Simon who get the chop.

Also, Jessica is in DC Superhero Girls, whereas Simon's never been used in the kids cartoons.
    There is some irony in that Jessica is a newer character, yet seems to have broken out in a way Simon never did (even when both their highest profile comics pitched them being close friends as an important aspect to both). Granted, you can't really predict what will click with people and Jessica is arguably a more distinct character, but still, it is interesting that's she moved up in less time then it took other fan favorites to do the same.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Wasn't there a fan theory that he was an unnamed Green Lantern killed off in an attack on Earth in a previous comic?
    Heroes in Crisis, yeah. Debunked when he showed up in a Justice League issue transformed into a fish creature.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    There is some irony in that Jessica is a newer character, yet seems to have broken out in a way Simon never did (even when both their highest profile comics pitched them being close friends as an important aspect to both). Granted, you can't really predict what will click with people and Jessica is arguably a more distinct character, but still, it is interesting that's she moved up in less time then it took other fan favorites to do the same.
    It's because the GL's were lacking in a recognizable, human, female rep, I think. Star Sapphire doesn't count because she's a love interest and technically a villain on bad days.

Coupled with all the DC media highlighting women and it's not a surprise she got a major push.

Incredible Member

I think that, to a degree, both Simon and Jessica speak to new audiences the same way Kyle did back in the 90s, but of the 2 (Simon and Jessica), I find her way more relatable.

Heroes in Crisis, yeah. Debunked when he showed up in a Justice League issue transformed into a fish creature.
    Almost as bad.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    I think that, to a degree, both Simon and Jessica speak to new audiences the same way Kyle did back in the 90s, but of the 2 (Simon and Jessica), I find her way more relatable.
    I like Jessica, and I legit thought Simon was dead.

EB9c_4FXkAAn6gR.jpg
    Considering the eye-emblem, do we think this is Jessica? (from GL:Blackstars #1 - which appears to be an alternate universe take on Hal in a universe without a GLC)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    EB9c_4FXkAAn6gR.jpg
    Considering the eye-emblem, do we think this is Jessica? (from GL:Blackstars #1 - which appears to be an alternate universe take on Hal in a universe without a GLC)
    I think so. Is that Psimon on the bottom right?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's because the GL's were lacking in a recognizable, human, female rep, I think. Star Sapphire doesn't count because she's a love interest and technically a villain on bad days.

Coupled with all the DC media highlighting women and it's not a surprise she got a major push.
    very true, plus people are underestimating how much Simon Baz and Jessica elevated each other with the Green Lanterns title; I honestly don't think DC would've went in as much for Jessica as their next female push if it weren't for that book. That title put them in a solid position to take off but, unfortunately for Simon, he got the raw end of the deal when they decided to scale back the Green Lantern franchise and (it feels kinda cynical but) Jessica hit the most profitable demographic points for a company like DC that's looking to better diversify their brand; latina AND female? in 2019 American popular culture? that's a two-fer!
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

EB9c_4FXkAAn6gR.jpg
    I think so, and i'd like to think that may be John in the back there.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

EB9c_4FXkAAn6gR.jpg
    Is this a mini or a one-shot?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Anyone read this week's Odyssey?
    spoilers:
    Jess was a corpse, alright... but the Omega beams that killed her saturated her body to the point that she ended up resurrecting with new powers.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    spoilers:
    I don't think she's truly dead. The Omega Effect, the Death that is Life has probably sent her back in time or in some sort of Beyond where she'll gathers allies and strike back. She is the only hope of the Ghost Sector, after all.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    No time travel involved, but that attack has definitely backfired.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-12-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Anyone read this week's Odyssey?
    spoilers:
    Jess was a corpse, alright... but the Omega beams that killed her saturated her body to the point that she ended up resurrecting with new powers.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    No time travel involved, but that attack has definitely backfired.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Well it was a bit more complex than her just absorbing the Omega beams, Darkseid shattered Jessica's ring and it got embedded in her bones. The ring transmuted the Omega beams and used them to heal Jessica, but now she is kind a merged matrix of the ring fragments and omega energy. I am not sure what's going to happen at this point, is Jessica a straight out New God, or is she just an uber powered Omega Lantern, and does this mean she contains some of the anti-life equation inside herself now, will she slowly become evil and try to kill everyone and take Darkseid's place? She certainly took down that entire legion of Para-angels pretty effortlessly, so she is at scary levels of power now!
    end of spoilers