BANNED

Default 2018 Movies You Totally Misjudged

I expected a lot worse from:

Aquaman
    Venom
    Spiderverse

I expected a lot better from:

Mary Poppins

Bumblebee and Holmes and Watson landed about where I expected. Also Black Panther and Infinity War.

I expected a lot worse from

Spiderverse

I expected a lot better from

Venom

Extraordinary Member

Expected little from Aquaman. Was so disappointed by the Fantastic Beasts sequel.

Aquaman was a little better than I expected it to be (not that I was expecting it to be terrible or anything). But it performed a lot better than I expected. Overall a very pleasant surprise.

Agreed with Fantastic Beasts. I was so excited for it, I loved the first one. It really let me down. I also expected more from Venom and Ant-Man and the Wasp and I was disappointed by both, although less so in Ant-Man and the Wasp tbh. I did not expect I'd like Missions Impossible: Fallout as much as I did.

There's a movie out now called The Favourite, which I didn't think I'd have any interest in. I'm typically pretty opened minded when it comes to movies, but I have a strong dislike for most period pieces, specifically ones that deal with royalty or other types of nobility. But it started getting some buzz and I checked it out. It's probably going to end up as my favorite movie of the year, if not in the Top 3.

Aquaman was the only one I watched. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be. But it was still fun to watch. I am surprised at how much money it is making,
    especially after Justice League so under performed. I thought JL was carry over more of a stigma.

I think Spiderverse is the no brain winner here. Alot of people wrote it off from the jump and its probaly one of the most praised movies of the year. Better then incredibles 2 and wreck it Ralph 2. Who woulda thunk it.

Fantastic Member

Venom was weak sauce, had potential to he better. Mission impossible was a surprise, didn't think it would be that good. Great action.

In terms of critical response:

Black Panther(thought it would get good to great reviews, did not think it would be such a critical darling)
    Into the Spider-Verse(didn't even think it would get much positive reviews)

In terms of box office:

Venom
    Black Panther
    Aquaman
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 01-02-2019 at 05:34 AM. Reason: grammar

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Aquaman definitely overcame my fear that DC isn’t sure what it wants to be compared to Marvel and makes me confident about Shazam and Wonder Woman 1984, if not also possibly Joker and Birds of Prey. Black Panther also impressed me by being less about getting a solid black superhero on the screen (though it manages that) and being a damn good superhero film full stop. If Captain Marvel and Shang-Chi follows the same logic they should do very well.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I've never been an Aquaman fan in the comics, and Jason Momoa's "Aquadudebro" interpretation from Justice League made me all the less eager for his solo film. However, after having watched it this past Sunday, I have to say I liked it a lot as it was easily the best DC movie I've watched since Batman Begins, so Aquaman exceeded my modest expectations.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I was expecting a lot from Infinity War, and it got most of the way there: the only part of it that really disappointed me was Thanos. Brolin's performance was great, but I just don't like their interpretation of the character. His being a space-based Ra's al Ghul is far less interesting to me than his comic book counterpart's fascination/obsession with Mistress Death. I could go on forever about it, but be sufficed to say that this aspect of the film makes it a bit of a disappointment.

I was totally unimpressed with Black Panther's trailers, but, hoo boy, was that movie so much better than I anticipated. I always like it when a superhero movie has something to say, and did Black Panther ever have a lot to talk about. The performances and action were great, too, but the fact that it didn't shy away from any of its messages makes me respect the film a heckuva lot.

However, a superhero movie doesn't have to have an in-your-face message to be awesome, as Aquaman proved. It took the insanely high expectations I had after the first trailer and said, "You think that's awesome? Just wait until the movie comes out, dude." Even with the obscenely high expectations I had for Aquaman, it still managed to exceed them. Great characters, great performances, nearly unmatched choreography, and so many fist-pumpingly awesome moments your arm will get tired. Definitely my favorite of the year.

Didn't see Venom, but it seems like I'd get my money's worth if I rented it from Redbox for $2. I also don't care about Bumblebee, so I can't comment there.

In terms of the coming year, Godzilla: King of the Monsters looks to rock my freaking sock off, and I'm psyched as all get out for Dark Phoenix. Shazam looks really fun and novel, so I'm looking forward to it. Avengers: Endgame should be good, but Captain Marvel's trailers couldn't put me to sleep any faster, and, from her audio clips in said trailers, Brie Larson appears to agree with me.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."