Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Now we can wait for the usual screams of Duke stealing X place in the book because he appears here.
    I think at this point most fans are glad if their favourite doesn't appear in something written by Tom King.

Some fanart for Duke, I'm not sure if it was posted earlier or not, sorry for any repost :

And some more :

Some fanart for Duke, I'm not sure if it was posted earlier or not, sorry for any repost :

the stars in the black of his outfit was a nice touch. Reminded me of Star-man from the Legion.

Yeah, the stars are looking great on the fanart. I'm not sure I would like them on his costume in comics, it may make it too busy for some artists, but I really hope that Dexter Soy will kill it with the team of Outsiders, and especially Duke, whose color scheme may be harder to pull off than some, I think.

Also,we're just five days away from having him back in actual comics ! I can't wait to read about the Outsiders, with two of my favorite Bat-family members (Duke as second man and Cass as top 1 woman), an awesome meta (Black Lightning) and Katana (who's just awesome) . I'm so glad I'll pick it up on Comixology to have it as soon as I'll wake up !

from the Batman and The Outsiders preview

I looks like Hill is coming out the gate examining Duke's character. I'm gonna be watching this book very closely, I REEEALLY want this to go well and add this to my regular ongoing pulls.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

It's so strange to see Soy's art not on Red Hood...

Otherwise, I'm with you concerning Duke's character. I'll pull BatO anyway just because of Cass and Black Lightning and Katana anyway, but I want his character to be well treated. He hasn't the cushion of a long-devoted and rather large fanbase, yet.

The issue 1 of BatO is out, and our boy Duke only has a minor role, but I've the feeling that Hill will develop him well in the future.

spoilers:
    Basically, he has PTSD and is really afraid of the whole hero gig after Karma but refuses to back down and hide it with anger, at Black Lightning but also Cass. However, the two of them seems pretty close, which is great. I really like them as the young normal and meta duo, compared to Katana and BL, who are far more seasoned.

My only complain is that Hill doesn't seem to intent on using Duke's powers, which I hope will not be the case. I mean, with his abilities, he should be one of the most useful member of the team, able to slightly predict what will happen next. Definitively something a block ops team wants, I think.

Other than that, well, it's a team's book first issue, but I think good things will come out of it for the Signal.
    end of spoilers

The issue 1 of BatO is out, and our boy Duke only has a minor role, but I've the feeling that Hill will develop him well in the future.

spoilers:
    Basically, he has PTSD and is really afraid of the whole hero gig after Karma but refuses to back down and hide it with anger, at Black Lightning but also Cass. However, the two of them seems pretty close, which is great. I really like them as the young normal and meta duo, compared to Katana and BL, who are far more seasoned.

My only complain is that Hill doesn't seem to intent on using Duke's powers, which I hope will not be the case. I mean, with his abilities, he should be one of the most useful member of the team, able to slightly predict what will happen next. Definitively something a block ops team wants, I think.

Other than that, well, it's a team's book first issue, but I think good things will come out of it for the Signal.
    end of spoilers
    I wouldn't say he's a minor role, they do a good job setting up Duke's character arc and the overall plot. I don't think they needed Duke's powers right off the bat, I'm sure they'll have plenty of time for him to use his powers and I rather they focus on developing the character first. I am really interested to see how they handle Duke in the action. Bryan Hill did say we may see new applications of Duke's powers, maybe he has something cool in store for us. I'm hoping they play with the immortal angle with Duke and Ras al Ghul; Unlikely tho. I really liked the first issue and how they used Duke but the rest of the story arc could change how I feel later.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I'm hoping Karma becomes one of Duke's rogues in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I wouldn't say he's a minor role, they do a good job setting up Duke's character arc and the overall plot. I don't think they needed Duke's powers right off the bat, I'm sure they'll have plenty of time for him to use his powers and I rather they focus on developing the character first. I am really interested to see how they handle Duke in the action. Bryan Hill did say we may see new applications of Duke's powers, maybe he has something cool in store for us. I'm hoping they play with the immortal angle with Duke and Ras al Ghul; Unlikely tho. I really liked the first issue and how they used Duke but the rest of the story arc could change how I feel later.
    I keep forgetting about those talks Hill had about Duke's abilities being used in new ways (which is basically impossible not to do, since they have been used like in four issues in total !).

I'm not sure that the immortal angle will be played much, honestly, I would favor it in another Signal mini. But the best is the enemy of good as we say in my country, so I guess having it explored here would be better than for it to languish in limbo forever.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm hoping Karma becomes one of Duke's rogues in the future.
    I hadn't even thought about it! And damn, but you're right, Karma would be excellent as the demon pursuing Duke for not being good enough, with Gnomon the one offering him something more. But I don't know if we'll see again in the future.

Edit : here's an interview of Hill by Polygon : https://www.polygon.com/comics/2019/...ghtning-katana
    Last edited by Korath; 05-09-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Some reassurance from Bryan Hill about Duke

currently following:

Hill took part in a podcast where he talks heavily about Duke early on, and rather extensively : https://taylornetworkofpodcasts.com/...the-outsiders/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Why do you find this unlikely? I feel like it's something that HAS to be touched on.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Hill took part in a podcast where he talks heavily about Duke early on, and rather extensively : https://taylornetworkofpodcasts.com/...the-outsiders/
    can you tldr what he says about duke?