Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Badass Signal is Badass :

This is pretty sweet.

today's issue of Outsiders was heavily focused on Duke and helping him through his Karma trauma. while he may not have had any good showings (though we do learned we can see through smoke too) it was a great issue for character building.

emotional highlight

Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-11-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Awesome!

Also, that's gonna be shipper fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Awesome!

Also, that's gonna be shipper fuel.
    you know what, while I'm more than fine with them being a intimate but platonic friendship, I wouldn't mind it. I know Duke has Izzy and (apparently) Gotham Girl waiting the wings but I think I could see the Duke and Cassandra ship; it's a cute pairing.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Without going into the shipping wars, I really love what Hill is doing with those two. They aren't front and center, but their interactions are really touching, and I think it makes for awesome story to see those characters grow alongside each other. Now, I want BL and Katana to do so but seeing Duke shine in his own way, even when it's bittersweet is great.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    you know what, while I'm more than fine with them being a intimate but platonic friendship, I wouldn't mind it. I know Duke has Izzy and (apparently) Gotham Girl waiting the wings but I think I could see the Duke and Cassandra ship; it's a cute pairing.
    I kinda hope we see Duke help Cassandra with something in a later issue. Have them work together to complement each other's strengths and weaknesses.

So far i'm liking the friendship!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    I kinda hope we see Duke help Cassandra with something in a later issue. Have them work together to complement each other's strengths and weaknesses.

So far i'm liking the friendship!
    Same, I think Duke more so than Barbara would be the ideal character to help Cassandra with her social skills considering he's had more experience on the streets of Gotham as a regular citizen and his natural affinity for emotional intelligence and people skills evident from his time with We are Robin and even helping Gotham Girl one time; I would like to see them bond that way. i think Duke and Cass compliment each other very well, Duke providing social/people skills and Cass being a compassionate person he can trust and someone who can train him with him and help him feel less vulnerable. they're abilities even together, both having predictive styles of fighting, she is uniquely suited to help him maximize that aspect of his powers.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member

Does anyone else think that Duke's costume needs a serious redesign?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-15-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    On some panels, usually when he's seen from the face, I really like his current design. But From the back, his helmet looks particularly strange to me.

I think something closer to his original "Lark" design from early Rebirth combined with the reflective bat on his chest would look best, but I understand why DC doesn't want to change his design just yet; his new one is pretty recent.

Plus, with the work Tony Patrick and Cully hammer did on it, I would be sad to see it go, no matter its flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I would really love for them to redesign Duke's costume, I hate the fact they slapped a bat on top of his face, but I wouldn't do it until they establish his path. I think Tony Patrick, Snyder, and Hamner tried with that 3 issue mini but making it so short left the character feeling half formed, and his costume feels like a symptom of that. It leans too heavily in Batman's shadow for my taste. Although, that's not to say the suit is particularly terrible, Dexter Soy and Veronica Gandini do a pretty good job of making it feel fearsome, but a redesign or even a retooling would be nice. I mean Duke's motif is supposed to be light and the sun, thematically, bats don't usually do hand in hand with that. his mask/helmet/headgear should emphasize his eyes or the sun or something.

currently following:

BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS #7
    written by BRYAN HILL
    art by DEXTER SOY
    acetate cover by JONBOY MEYERS
    variant cover by CHRIS BURNHAM
    Unable to cope with Black Lightning and Batman’s methods, Duke Thomas finds refuge in the philosophy of Ra’s al Ghul, becoming the latest acolyte of the Demon, as Ra’s at last begins to rebuild his empire!
    ON SALE 11.13.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+

looks like Duke's gonna be having a pretty significant arc in Outsiders and I am here for it. a dark mentor arc? and it's an Immortal? yes please! all I could ask for now is for Ra's to hook him up with a new costume; even if temporary.

currently following:

Incredible Member

Badass cover and awesome story arc for Duke.

It's definitively interesting. Now, all it needs is some Gnomon reference and it'll be the perfect storm for Duke.

However, I wonder what will make him consider falling into Ra's teachings.

Astonishing Member

Little worried about this for a few reasons, but still intrigued. Hope this will be more Duke's story than Ra's'. More "Duke goes under Ra's" and less "Ra's takes in Duke."

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's definitively interesting. Now, all it needs is some Gnomon reference and it'll be the perfect storm for Duke.

However, I wonder what will make him consider falling into Ra's teachings.
    Gnomon reference outta be mandatory, in my opinion. Hope the ball doesn't get dropped there.

My biggest wonder is what prompts Duke towards Ra's, also. Hopefully it isn't spun as a "Duke's being stupid-naive" thing. Done carefully, it could be a fulfilling time for his character, but otherwise, it could easily run the risk of "noobifiying" Duke when he should be beyond this form of "noob" by now.

Astonishing Member

The more I think about this, the more I rather wish this to be Gnomon right now. If such a narrative risk where to be taken with Duke's character, I wish it was with Gnomon, so we could get a chance to develop some form of a more deeper relationship between the two.