Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    can you tldr what he says about duke?
    He starts talking about Duke right off the bat, he talked about how a lot of people expecting him to do more with Duke in Detective but he recognized that a lot of people are invested in Duke Thomas and have questions about who he is. When DC approached him to write the Black Lightning/Batman issue for 'Tec, Outsiders was already on the table so he wanted to use that to explore how is Duke different from another robin. Is he just black Robin? How does that work? He's the Signal, signal of what? Have Duke deal with the ramifications of the Karma attack, use the volatile nature of Outsiders to explore a destabilized Duke and see him forge his path from there. Figure out what he symbolizes. He wants to explore the relationship between Duke, a young man stuggling to move forward, and Black Lightning, someone who is taking a step into a bigger hero role and someone who's been there. He wants to be able to bring his experience as a black American to the characters of Black Lightning and Duke, just like how he spoke to Japanese people for insight into Katana.

edit: oh, something interesting Hill said to think about; think about Duke in his current state of mind meeting Ras al Ghul and what Ras would see in him. So we will likely see a Duke/Ras one-on-one confrontation of some sort.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 05-13-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Why do you find this unlikely? I feel like it's something that HAS to be touched on.
    I think it would be the best place to organically do it but with DC they tend to always zig when i want them to zag with a lot of the characters i have been invested in and with a lot of the stuff set up in Metal (that are not linked to Justice League) getting put away, including the Immortal Men/the immortal community, it just seems likely to be skipped over.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Batman #71
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 05-13-2019 at 09:15 PM.

currently following:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    from the Batman and The Outsiders preview

I looks like Hill is coming out the gate examining Duke's character. I'm gonna be watching this book very closely, I REEEALLY want this to go well and add this to my regular ongoing pulls.
    Woah, some heavy stuff. And this from only the preview?

(I just finished my 1st 4-year-level semester, and have been ultra out of it since. I'm behind on literally everything comics not muttered in the occasional thread visit.)

From these panels alone, it looks like Hill is going for the idea that Duke's more assertive personality moments comes out mostly when Duke is internally flustered and/or wracked with anxiety. Of course, this is more a part of Duke's nature to speak his truth when he feels he has to, as opposed to any strict, generic trauma-fueled acting out session. Not to say he's immune to being affected by his own anxiety, mind. Although in this case it was also kinda played off like Duke was "talking back to his elders" and so was inherently in the wrong by default, irrespective of context. I mostly got this vibe because neither he or nor Jeff were backing down on their stance, with the latter not giving much indication he was willing to except anything less than remorse and obedience from the former, and then Duke acquiesces and even apologies all of a sudden. Now, it could be that Duke is exhausted -- mentally and physically -- and so backed down to keep the peace. But I dunno...

I'll eventually get to the entire issue itself, but which side do you guys think these panels implicitly (or explicitly) leaned?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Hill took part in a podcast where he talks heavily about Duke early on, and rather extensively : https://taylornetworkofpodcasts.com/...the-outsiders/
    Podcasts aren't really my thing to listen to, but I'm super curious about what he has to say regarding Duke.

Would any of you who has listened mind going over what Hill extensively did regarding Duke/The Signal?

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Podcasts aren't really my thing to listen to, but I'm super curious about what he has to say regarding Duke.

Would any of you who has listened mind going over what Hill extensively did regarding Duke/The Signal?
    I covered pretty much everything he said pertaining to Duke at the top of this page

currently following:

Astonishing Member

I covered pretty much everything he said pertaining to Duke at the top of this page
    Heh. Thanks.

So he basically explains what he intends to explore with Duke, and also spins some real nice PR.

Also, I hope Gnomon gets brought up or referenced whenever/shouldever The Signal meet/confront/be confronted by Ras in this book.

Batman #71
    I wonder what the extent of his role here is? Will it be just another cameo, or something a little more substantial.

Astonishing Member

Woah, some heavy stuff. And this from only the preview?

(I just finished my 1st 4-year-level semester, and have been ultra out of it since. I'm behind on literally everything comics not muttered in the occasional thread visit.)

From these panels alone, it looks like Hill is going for the idea that Duke's more assertive personality moments comes out mostly when Duke is internally flustered and/or wracked with anxiety. Of course, this is more a part of Duke's nature to speak his truth when he feels he has to, as opposed to any strict, generic trauma-fueled acting out session. Not to say he's immune to being affected by his own anxiety, mind. Although in this case it was also kinda played off like Duke was "talking back to his elders" and so was inherently in the wrong by default, irrespective of context. I mostly got this vibe because neither he or nor Jeff were backing down on their stance, with the latter not giving much indication he was willing to except anything less than remorse and obedience from the former, and then Duke acquiesces and even apologies all of a sudden. Now, it could be that Duke is exhausted -- mentally and physically -- and so backed down to keep the peace. But I dunno...

I'll eventually get to the entire issue itself, but which side do you guys think these panels implicitly (or explicitly) leaned?
    Any insights on the bold here?

Duke tense relation with Jeff is definitively due to the trauma Karma inflicted on him (he even lashes out at Cass when she says it's normal to be afraid). Basically, Duke's fear is turned into recklessness and anger, and Jefferson knows it. I think he also get why Duke is acting like that and truly want to help him, by using his teacher approach, but I don't know for sure how it'll evolve in the coming issues.

Astonishing Member

Duke tense relation with Jeff is definitively due to the trauma Karma inflicted on him (he even lashes out at Cass when she says it's normal to be afraid). Basically, Duke's fear is turned into recklessness and anger, and Jefferson knows it. I think he also get why Duke is acting like that and truly want to help him, by using his teacher approach, but I don't know for sure how it'll evolve in the coming issues.
    Ah, I see. If he lashed out at Cassandra, then yeah.

Thanks, Korath!

How things evolve will be an interesting aspect of Outsiders going forward, indeed. In many respects, Black Lightning and The Signal's relationship is kinda the biggest point of interest for me as far as Outsider's overarching draw.

So, Duke was in today's Batman.

I really don't like where Tom King is going, I really didn't like the issue (well, it left me indifferent, instead of actively loathing it, so it is an improvement over the Knightmares) and I don't know if I want more Duke in it.

Am I the only one feeling like that ?

Astonishing Member

So, Duke was in today's Batman.

I really don't like where Tom King is going, I really didn't like the issue (well, it left me indifferent, instead of actively loathing it, so it is an improvement over the Knightmares) and I don't know if I want more Duke in it.

Am I the only one feeling like that ?
    Again, what was Duke's role, or lack thereof, in the issue? What did he say? What didn't he say that he should have and would have under a different writer that cared for the character as a character?

Again, what was Duke's role, or lack thereof, in the issue? What did he say? What didn't he say that he should have and would have under a different writer that cared for the character as a character?
    Basically nothing. He's here with some other Bat-fam because Batman flashed a red bat-signal, follow him around and stand there while Bruce knowk-out Tim because somehow Bane is able to control everyone in the god-damn city of Gotham without letting even the slightest evidence that Barbara "Perfect Memory" Gordon, Tim "Hacker-God" Drake, Helena "I was a Spy" Bertinelli, Cassandra "I read people's face" Cain and Duke "I can see where things were" Thomas could find.

Like, the only good thing coming out of this issue is that hopefully Duke won't be a part of the Batman title while Tom King is on it for the forseeable future. And I hope that even BatO won't reference King's run too much. Pay lips service to it if it must, but nothing more.

Astonishing Member

Basically nothing. He's here with some other Bat-fam because Batman flashed a red bat-signal, follow him around and stand there while Bruce knowk-out Tim because somehow Bane is able to control everyone in the god-damn city of Gotham without letting even the slightest evidence that Barbara "Perfect Memory" Gordon, Tim "Hacker-God" Drake, Helena "I was a Spy" Bertinelli, Cassandra "I read people's face" Cain and Duke "I can see where things were" Thomas could find.

Like, the only good thing coming out of this issue is that hopefully Duke won't be a part of the Batman title while Tom King is on it for the forseeable future. And I hope that even BatO won't reference King's run too much. Pay lips service to it if it must, but nothing more.
    Ouch! Talk about going from bad to worse as far as Duke's exposure in that book.

Ouch! Talk about going from bad to worse as far as Duke's exposure in that book.
    Hey, considering last time King had Duke on panel he was lobotomized (iirc), I'm not too bothered with it.

currently following: