Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Snyder is writing Last Knight tho.
    My bad, my brain ran the whole message together. Regardless, Snyder's been talking with Hill and knows he's developing Duke on Outsiders. I wouldn't imagine he'd spend all this time trying to ensure a spot for Duke as a hero just to dash them, especially without fulfilling all the stuff around Duke.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Revisiting the On the Outside arc, they fixed the mix up with Black Lightning and Duke from the original single issues.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    Snyder co-wrote the Rebirth issue too. It's a very Snyder-y issue. Classic villain re-imagined with wacky powers. Duke.
    Hadn't realized that. I guess, then, it was a "passing the torch" deal. It also explains why it does so well by Duke and makes promises that aren't delivered in the rest of the book.

This doesn't really change my feelings for King's treatment and usage of Duke in his run, though.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Hadn't realized that. I guess, then, it was a "passing the torch" deal. It also explains why it does so well by Duke and makes promises that aren't delivered in the rest of the book.

This doesn't really change my feelings for King's treatment and usage of Duke in his run, though.
    I couldn’t say King’s used him enough to make a call either way.

Ultimate Member

Dexter Soy will be in Dallas June 29-30 for North Texas Comic Book show.

For those who might be in Dallas (well Irving).

I couldn’t say King’s used him enough to make a call either way.
    He has control over those one panel cameos. He has control of who says what in the book.

Ultimate Member

Not sure. The thing is, though, Duke featured heavily in the Rebirth issue. If King's pitch didn't include developing Duke's character, then why was he so heavily featured in the Rebirth issue getting acclimated to Wayne Manor? I don't understand that.

But I agree that regardless of other factors, that should have been part of editorial's duties to make sure King didn't let Duke slip through the cracks.
    King had NO ONE in mind for Heroes in Crisis. Editors filled in who was there.

Lets say King did that here. What if Duke was not the person Batman wanted to train differently?

Remember Rebirth seems to counter what We Are Robin and the last Batman arc did.

That could have been a different kid getting Duke's slot. It could have been Harper Row, Tim (coming back) or someone else.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    King had NO ONE in mind for Heroes in Crisis. Editors filled in who was there.

Lets say King did that here. What if Duke was not the person Batman wanted to train differently?

Remember Rebirth seems to counter what We Are Robin and the last Batman arc did.

That could have been a different kid getting Duke's slot. It could have been Harper Row, Tim (coming back) or someone else.
    Okay, I'm actually a little confused about what you're (and were saying).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Dexter Soy will be in Dallas June 29-30 for North Texas Comic Book show.

He has control over those one panel cameos. He has control of who says what in the book.
    Sure, but so does Snyder in Justice League and Batman Who Laughs. Why isn’t he including Duke in those? You could argue He has more responsibility for Duke because he’s the author of Duke. Why didn’t he do so in Metal when he teased he would? King’s only written Harvey Bullock in a couple of panels. That doesn’t mean he writes a bad Harvey Bullock. If you don’t have a story to tell about a character, you don’t have a story.

Okay, I'm actually a little confused about what you're (and were saying).
    Before King wrote HiC he wanted no responsibility in choosing the cast. So he asked for a list of characters he could use as suspects, victims, the criminal etc.

Skyvolt tried to bring that notion over to Kings run on batman.Maybe Duke was a character he was asked to use rather than one he wanted to use?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Before King wrote HiC he wanted no responsibility in choosing the cast. So he asked for a list of characters he could use as suspects, victims, the criminal etc.

Skyvolt tried to bring that notion over to Kings run on batman.Maybe Duke was a character he was asked to use rather than one he wanted to use?
    Ah, I see. I think it’s less specific than that. For example he got to choose between Mister Miracle and the Atomic Knights and pitched for that, but I don’t think he got a list saying ‘please include Barda, Forager, Lightray...’

Maybe a little different in HIC because you’re going to have to clear who you kill off with editorial.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe they decided to let Duke development to Snyder in All Star Batman, after the first rebirth issues were out.

I think it might be also possible that King didn't had the OK for the whole Bat-Cat-Marriage-thing from the beginning (I guess that is something that needs an OK from someone higher than the Editors), and once he had that, they changed the direction of the book and dropped what ever they had planed with Duke and Gotham Girl to concentrate on the Bat-Cat-relation ship.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Maybe they decided to let Duke development to Snyder in All Star Batman, after the first rebirth issues were out.

I think it might be also possible that King didn't had the OK for the whole Bat-Cat-Marriage-thing from the beginning (I guess that is something that needs an OK from someone higher than the Editors), and once he had that, they changed the direction of the book and dropped what ever they had planed with Duke and Gotham Girl to concentrate on the Bat-Cat-relation ship.
    The plan for Gotham Girl is still going. Duke said she was going to kill Batman and marry him. Not necessarily in that order, but considering she's on Bane's side right now, the marriage may be in the far future, after she realized her fault. So there's no need, or it doesn't make sense, to make a development between Duke and Claire right now.

Extraordinary Member

But after the proposal issue, she disappeared from the book (appart from the cameo in issue #50) for about 40 issues.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But after the proposal issue, she disappeared from the book (appart from the cameo in issue #50) for about 40 issues.
    Yeah because as far as we knew at the time, her story was over. It started with the brother and continue with her losing her mind. After she regained her mind, she said she wanted to move on or quit I forgot, but her question leads to Batman deciding what he wants to do with his life, which is to propose to Catwoman.

Her disappearance makes sense in the story as it first appeared, that she said she doesn't want to be involved anymore... and it makes sense for the reveal of the story, that she's joined Bane to play his long game, most likely as an act of revenge for Batman for killing her brother.

Neither has anything to do with Duke. So he's not involved. Yet.

Yeah i don't see Duke/Claire happening anytime soon. Its more likely to happen years later with another writer.