Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    By the way, i don't know if you've noticed, but Hill is stealthily expanding Duke's powers.

He's doing a Q&A right about now, by the way, so it may be a great time to ask some of your questions folks.
    That's really cool actually, does anyone know how the book is selling? I don't want Duke to disappear if the series doesn'ts sell well.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What was Duke's role in Metal? His power debut there if I remember correctly, but what else?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    What was Duke's role in Metal? His power debut there if I remember correctly, but what else?
    Ultimately Duke allowed Bruce to pierce the veil into the Dark Multiverse by recreating Bruce's "Final Invention", which the Joker had destroyed in the Bat-cave. The Final Invention is a contraption that bruce created to ensure Gotham always had a Batman by (IIRC) downloading the training and psychological conditioning [read:trauma] needed to be Batman into whoever is in the machine. When he murder-suicided himself and the Joker and was resurrected by the Dionesium(?) under Gotham, he had no memories and Duke talked him into accepting he was Batman; prompting Bruce to use the machine to restore his memory. It turns out the machine, when Nth metal is added to its components (i.e in the cracks of Bruce's skull after the resurrection), can see into the Dark Multiverse. Duke's intrinsically connected to the Dark Multiverse due to his unique connection and reactivity to 8th/Nth metal, which was why Bruce took him in. So in Dark Days, when Bruce brought the Dagger of Shazam into his presence, it started reacting to Duke (and vice versa), and Bruce used it to power/activate his machine. When he looked into the Dark Multiverse that time, it unleashed Barbatos and the Dark Knights.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-12-2019 at 07:24 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

looks like we're entering Duke's Ra's al Ghul "internship" arc

where do you think this will take our boy? new powers? new costume? new philosophy?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    That's really cool actually, does anyone know how the book is selling? I don't want Duke to disappear if the series doesn't sell well.
    last I heard it was selling relatively well, not gangbusters but it's pulling a decent amount of eyeballs. As it stands now, if this book disappears we very well could see Duke in the David Zavimbe or Luke Fox position where he's just unceremoniously absent, but hopefully, Hill will develop Duke in the next arc in such a way that it'll entice DC high-ups and other creators to use him in other things.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member

Issue #4 sold 24K, which is decent.
    But the big question is if it can keep this number stable (issue #4 is still quite early) of will drop further.
    Another substantial drop in sales would put it the cancellation Zone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    This was a sweet one.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    A Duke fanart courtesy of reddit :

And I'm always for nice Duke/Signal fan arts.

Duke is a new character but has undergone different premises and power in the short time he exists. Has he ever got a change in personality like other characters who have changed writers or experience a reboot?

I saw him as a smart kid in Zero Year, a street smart kid with attitude as Robin, a quiet, obedient, maybe kinda shy kid when he's with the Bat fam, and recently insecure because he fell into a villain's trap.

All that sounds like natural character progression based on what he's experienced. Parents Jokerized, no guardian, being trained by a series of badass normal... but has there ever been any significant difference in characterization or has it all been consistent and make sense with what he experienced?
    Outside of King (and even then, his earliest uses of Duke actually came off as nuanced), I'd say things tend to be consistent or at least logical. I supposes there's the need to balance the confidence and surety Duke naturally possesses with his doubts and anxieties he also has about him. Some writer play up one more than the other, especially those who wish to emphasize his "newness" in perpetuity. Generally, that Duke is a profoundly-minded character is generally consistent. Generally.

I will say that one thing that probably hasn't been emphasized much past the analytical blurbs he and the other Robins were given in We Are Robin is his "geeky" and "nerdy" side (Duke's into tabletop games), as well as his creative side. It was established that he writes creatively, including poetry (albeit he keeps that close to his chest). Due to sporadic use and appearances coupled with the company he keeps and the events going on when he is used, these aspects of his character haven't even had the opportunity to surface. (And again, we really needed Tony Patrick's solo, because that'd have been where those aspects could have been re-established.)

Astonishing Member

looks like we're entering Duke's Ra's al Ghul "internship" arc

where do you think this will take our boy? new powers? new costume? new philosophy?
    Yikes! What is Ra's al Gul's long-game here?

I'm betting he wants to get the Son of Gnomon (a fellow immortal) for himself. If Hill dabble in the Houses of the Immortals, it could open Ra's ways into the House of Action (since I think Gnomon is a former member of this faction) and at the very least he'd get some leverage agains Duke's biological father. Plus, Duke's powers are extremely useful for a shadowy organization of killer. Well trained and experienced, there wouldn't be much people able to evade or hold their own against him. How can you surprise someone who can see what you'll do or will happen seconds before it does ?

Ultimately Duke allowed Bruce to pierce the veil into the Dark Multiverse by recreating Bruce's "Final Invention", which the Joker had destroyed in the Bat-cave. The Final Invention is a contraption that bruce created to ensure Gotham always had a Batman by (IIRC) downloading the training and psychological conditioning [read:trauma] needed to be Batman into whoever is in the machine. When he murder-suicided himself and the Joker and was resurrected by the Dionesium(?) under Gotham, he had no memories and Duke talked him into accepting he was Batman; prompting Bruce to use the machine to restore his memory. It turns out the machine, when Nth metal is added to its components (i.e in the cracks of Bruce's skull after the resurrection), can see into the Dark Multiverse. Duke's intrinsically connected to the Dark Multiverse due to his unique connection and reactivity to 8th/Nth metal, which was why Bruce took him in. So in Dark Days, when Bruce brought the Dagger of Shazam into his presence, it started reacting to Duke (and vice versa), and Bruce used it to power/activate his machine. When he looked into the Dark Multiverse that time, it unleashed Barbatos and the Dark Knights.
    How did Bruce find out about his connection to the 8th metal?

How did Bruce find out about his connection to the 8th metal?
    8th metal specifically we only learned about in his battle with Gnomon because he was using it to create metas. I believe Bruce found out from hospital record about Duke and his mother. according to the Joker, hospitals have been screening people for metahumans for years by looking at the concentration of Nth metal in their blood.

currently following:

8th metal specifically we only learned about in his battle with Gnomon because he was using it to create metas. I believe Bruce found out from the hospital record about Duke and his mother. according to the Joker, hospitals have been screening people for metahumans for years by looking at the concentration of Nth metal in their blood.
    I'm not familiar with the history of Nth metal with metahuman, so is the hospital thing a worldwide, government tracking thing or Court of Owls trying to find people that are exposed to all metals thing?

I'm not familiar with the history of Nth metal with metahuman, so is the hospital thing a worldwide, government tracking thing or Court of Owls trying to find people that are exposed to all metals thing?
    it's a relatively new development that came out of Dark Knights Metal, basically all metahumans are people who have a natural nth metal toxicity within them (which I guess results in the previously established"metagene") but the Joker only mention Gotham Mercy having an automatic flag to detect this; but it could very well be something at all hospitals. the idea is expanded a little in the Immortal Men, in which we learn there is an entire secret community of metahumans who form "houses" around 5 immortal metahumans who appear to be about as old as Vandal Savage, this includes the Immortal Man. there is a cabal of Immortals of various forms (like Black Adam, the Hawks, and Ras al Ghul) who appear to be aware of the metas and their connection to nth metal and immortality but a lot of it isn't full established. I imagine anyone with considerable resources into the esoteric forces of the DC universe would be able to track metas and Nth metal and the like.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-26-2019 at 08:55 AM.

currently following:

BATMAN GIANT #2 includes two new stories:

* “Law of the Jungle,” a 16-page story written by Michael Gray with art by Ryan Benjamin and Richard Friend

Batman is hot on the trail of a series of murders in Brazil, where government officials and various captains of industry have been mysteriously murdered by their own bodyguards. As the Dark Knight starts assembling the pieces of the puzzle, he notices the thing all these victims have in common is a connection to the logging industry, a penchant for bribes…and Poison Ivy!

* “Lifelines,” an eight-page story written by Andrea Shea with art by Neil Edwards and Scott Hanna

Duke Thomas, a.k.a. the Signal, trained under Batman to become Gotham City’s daytime protector. But his responsibilities as a superhero have vastly outweighed his responsibilities at home, and Duke becomes painfully aware of this fact when he learns the member of the Xiqu gang who stabbed him is none other than his childhood friend Danny Wong.

* New cover by Eddy Barrows and Eber Ferreira

Plus, these reprint tales:

* “Trust Fall,” from BATMAN #2
    * “Elegy Part One,” from DETECTIVE COMICS #854
    * “Better than Batman Part One,” from NIGHTWING #1

BATMAN GIANT #2 (SEP190447) is on Final Order Cutoff on October 28 with an on-sale date of November 27.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

BATMAN GIANT #2 includes two new stories:

* “Law of the Jungle,” a 16-page story written by Michael Gray with art by Ryan Benjamin and Richard Friend

Batman is hot on the trail of a series of murders in Brazil, where government officials and various captains of industry have been mysteriously murdered by their own bodyguards. As the Dark Knight starts assembling the pieces of the puzzle, he notices the thing all these victims have in common is a connection to the logging industry, a penchant for bribes…and Poison Ivy!

* “Lifelines,” an eight-page story written by Andrea Shea with art by Neil Edwards and Scott Hanna

Duke Thomas, a.k.a. the Signal, trained under Batman to become Gotham City’s daytime protector. But his responsibilities as a superhero have vastly outweighed his responsibilities at home, and Duke becomes painfully aware of this fact when he learns the member of the Xiqu gang who stabbed him is none other than his childhood friend Danny Wong.

* New cover by Eddy Barrows and Eber Ferreira

Plus, these reprint tales:

* “Trust Fall,” from BATMAN #2
    * “Elegy Part One,” from DETECTIVE COMICS #854
    * “Better than Batman Part One,” from NIGHTWING #1

BATMAN GIANT #2 (SEP190447) is on Final Order Cutoff on October 28 with an on-sale date of November 27.
    a new Duke story!? yes please! I hope this is a sign that DC is grooming him for more things to come; I doubt it tho but my Blue Lantern ring burns bright!
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-26-2019 at 08:59 AM.

currently following: