Amazing Member

Default The Best Batman Stories of the 2010s

With 2019 wrapping up, the 2010s as a whole are also ending. This got me thinking about what the best Batman stories of the entire decade have been.

Honestly, I think the 2010s have been a pretty great decade for The Caped Crusader overall. He was definitely the standout title during The New 52 with Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo; a writer and artist who delivered stellar work on the character throughout the entire decade. We also were graced by some pretty great mini-series from Greg Hurwitz and Scott Peterson to name a few. And while I do think Tom King's run on Batman eventually went off the rails, it started very strongly. So with all that out of the way, here are my ten favorite Batman stories of the 2010s!

10.) Cold Days (Batman vol. 3 #51-53)

Bruce Wayne of all people trying to convince a jury that Batman isn't infallible and perfect was a fascinating read.

09.) My Own Worst Enemy (All Star Batman vol. 1)

Intense action, great artwork and one of the best portrayals of Two-Face I've read in a long time.

08.) Kings of Fear (mini-series)

Easily one of the greatest Scarecrow stories ever written as the villain gets into Batman's head like never before.

07.) I am Bane (Batman vol. 3 #16-20)

Probably my favorite Bane story since Knightfall and definitely the highlight of Tom King's run for me.

06.) The Black Mirror (Detective Comics vol. 1 #871-881)

An intriguing mystery throughout with great characterization and some interesting new developments. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Richard Grayson as Batman after this.

05.) Pain and Prejudice (mini-series)

Definitely the single greatest Penguin story to date. I really wish more writers would handle the character this well.

04.) Zero Year (Batman vol. 2 #21-33)

A superb retelling of The Dark Knight's origins. Instead of being a retread of the unbeatable Year One, Zero Year goes in an entirely different direction and acts as a sprawling epic.

03.) Endgame (Batman vol. 2 #35-40)

One of the best Joker stories of all time that also happens to feature one of his best one-on-one battles with Batman in their 80 year history.

02.) Death of The Family (Batman vol. 2 #13-17)

Probably the single best Joker story after The Killing Joke (yeah, I said it). This story more than any other I've read truly understands the twisted relationship between Batman and The Joker and why The Clown Prince of Crime will always be his greatest nemesis.

01.) The Court/City of Owls (Batman vol. 2 #1-12)

The Court ended up being some of the best Batman villains to come along in years. The sequence with The World's Greatest Detective trapped in The Labyrinth while being hunted by The Talons is sheer perfection.

What were your favorite Batman stories of the 2010s?

Mighty Member

I had some trouble narrowing it all down - I like big parts of King, Morrison, and Snyder's runs, but didn't want to leave any of them out or go too heavy on any of them (had the first 40% of Morrison's run come in the 2010s, it'd have been impossible to even it out).

10. Date Nights/Last Rites (Batman Annual 2) - A truly beautiful last Batman adventure

9. Black Mirror ('Tec 871-881) - A much more sedate Snyder story, really nice character study of James and Dick

8. Robin Rises (B&R 33-37, Alpha/Omega) - A very sweet story that also includes Batman in a Hell suit

7. Return of Bruce Wayne - Bruce Wayne vs the Omega Sanction, fighting through time.

6. I Am Suicide (Batman 9-13) - I imagine most might tend towards I Am Bane, but the letters back and forth, the convoluted plan, it's a fun arc

5. Leviathan Strikes! - Wanted to pick something from Batman, Inc - this was a solid story that really becomes more enjoyable on second and third readings

4. Endgame (Batman 35-40) - Snyder sometimes goes "too epic!" but this was pitch perfect to me

3. Dark Knights: Metal (Dark Days: The Forge and Casting, Metal 1-6, Batman Lost) - Batman weaponized Baby Darkseid. 'Nuff said

2. Superfriends p1-2 (Batman 36-37) - this would also appear on my top 10 Superman stories of the decade

1. Batman and Robin Must Die! (Batman and Robin 13-16) - Just a fantastic story - Hurt, Joker, two Batmen, Damian going full Damian
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 11-28-2019 at 05:13 PM.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Here I go (In no order):

• Batman, The Dark Knight by Gregg Hurwitz: Clycle of Violence + Mad + Clay (Clay + Man-Bat)
    • The Owl Saga by Scott Snyder
    • Batman Inc + Batman & Robin New52 + Robin, son of Batman - by Grant Morrison and Peter J. Tomasi
    • Li'l Gotham by Dustin Nguyen
    • Detective Comics by John Layman Emperor Penguin + The Wrath + Gothtopia
    • Detective Comics: Deface the Face by James Robinson
    • Batman by Tom King (post-wedding): Cold Days + The Tyrant Wing
    • Batman / Elmer Fudd by Tom King
    • Pain and Prejudice by Greg Hurwitz
    Last edited by jb681131; 11-29-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Mystery View Post

08.) Kings of Fear (mini-series)

Easily one of the greatest Scarecrow stories ever written as the villain gets into Batman's head like never before.
    I disagree - Have you read "Batman, the dark knight: Cycle of Violence ?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I disagree - Have you read "Batman, the dark knight: Cycle of Violence ?
    I have. Cycle of Violence was very good, but I liked Kings of Fear a little more.

Listed chronologically:

Batman VS. Robin (March, 2010)
    Batman & Robin Must Die (August, 2010)
    Red Hood: Lost Days (August, 2010)
    Batman/Catwoman: Follow the Money (January, 2011)
    Black Mirror - 'TEC #871-881 (January, 2011)
    Court of Owls (November, 2011)
    Leviathan Strikes (February, 2012)
    Batman Incorporated, Vol. 2 (July, 2012)
    Death of the Family (December, 2012)
    Batman/Harley Quinn Collected (March, 2018)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I had some trouble narrowing it all down - I like big parts of King, Morrison, and Snyder's runs, but didn't want to leave any of them out or go too heavy on any of them (had the first 40% of Morrison's run come in the 2010s, it'd have been impossible to even it out).

10. Date Nights/Last Rites (Batman Annual 2) - A truly beautiful last Batman adventure

9. Black Mirror ('Tec 871-881) - A much more sedate Snyder story, really nice character study of James and Dick

8. Robin Rises (B&R 33-37, Alpha/Omega) - A very sweet story that also includes Batman in a Hell suit

7. Return of Bruce Wayne - Bruce Wayne vs the Omega Sanction, fighting through time.

6. I Am Suicide (Batman 9-13) - I imagine most might tend towards I Am Bane, but the letters back and forth, the convoluted plan, it's a fun arc

5. Leviathan Strikes! - Wanted to pick something from Batman, Inc - this was a solid story that really becomes more enjoyable on second and third readings

4. Endgame (Batman 35-40) - Snyder sometimes goes "too epic!" but this was pitch perfect to me

3. Dark Knights: Metal (Dark Days: The Forge and Casting, Metal 1-6, Batman Lost) - Batman weaponized Baby Darkseid. 'Nuff said

2. Superfriends p1-2 (Batman 36-37) - this would also appear on my top 10 Superman stories of the decade

1. Batman and Robin Must Die! (Batman and Robin 13-16) - Just a fantastic story - Hurt, Joker, two Batmen, Damian going full Damian
    I've enjoyed most of Grant Morrison's work on the character, but he has never really been one of my favorite Batman writers.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Listed chronologically:

Batman VS. Robin (March, 2010)
    Batman & Robin Must Die (August, 2010)
    Red Hood: Lost Days (August, 2010)
    Batman/Catwoman: Follow the Money (January, 2011)
    Black Mirror - 'TEC #871-881 (January, 2011)
    Court of Owls (November, 2011)
    Leviathan Strikes (February, 2012)
    Batman Incorporated, Vol. 2 (July, 2012)
    Death of the Family (December, 2012)
    Batman/Harley Quinn Collected (March, 2018)
    Red Hood: Lost Days came out in 2010? For some reason I thought it was older. I agree it's a solid story though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Mystery View Post
    Red Hood: Lost Days came out in 2010? For some reason I thought it was older. I agree it's a solid story though.
    It does feel like more than a decade, doesn't it? But anyways, thanks for the compliment.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    It does feel like more than a decade, doesn't it? But anyways, thanks for the compliment.
    You're welcome. It probably feels longer because the character has gone through a lot since then.

Batman vs Robin
    Batman and Robin Must Die
    Batman Inc
    Black Mirror
    Court of Owls
    Endgame
    Emperor Penguin
    Born to Kill
    Medieval/Arkham Knight
    Kings of Fear

Related top 5:
    Better than Batman/Rise of Raptor (Nightwing)
    Grayson (Nightwing)
    Wanted (Batgirl)
    Deathstroke vs Batman (Deathstroke)
    Dark Trinity (Red Hood, the first 25 issues of the rebirth run really)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The Return of Bruce Wayne
    Batman #713 In Storybook Endings
    Born to Kill
    The Court of Owls
    Zero Year
    Batman and Robin #18 Requiem for Damian
    Batman #14-15 Rooftops
    Batman #37 Double Date
    Batman #54 Shadows of the Past
    Detective Comics #1000 The Precedent