Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Tim Duck haha
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

To be fair, though, a robin is a songbird.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 09-11-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Astonishing Member

I don't know why they keep going for bird names. Robin was named after Robin Hood - that's why he wore a tunic. "A laughing, fighting, young daredevil who scoffs at danger like the legendary Robin Hood whose name and spirit he has adopted... Robin the Boy Wonder."
    Last edited by Lee; 09-11-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Though I now wish they'd gone a more Darkwing Duck direction with the new costume.
    Disney would have something to say about that.

Tim Drake being called Drake is like Gwen Stacy being called Spider-Gwen. There's a reason she was really called Spider-Woman. I hope Tim wasn't planning on keeping his secret identity! Because if he does intend to maintain it, he's frankly being very dumb. As someone said, it's like having your password be "password"!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yeah; that's why his costume was red-breasted, because Robin Hood was well known for wearing a red tunic.

“Robin” has a dual meaning: both Robin Hood and the songbird. I guess something similar could be said about “Drake”, which can either refer to a male duck or to a western dragon.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Homage, not copy. Things like the cut/style of the jacket. Or a more DW inspired color scheme without copying outright.

See also: Squadron Supreme, Red Lion, or, you know, Darkwing Duck himself, a send up of Batman without outright copying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Tim Drake being called Drake is like Gwen Stacy being called Spider-Gwen. There's a reason she was really called Spider-Woman. I hope Tim wasn't planning on keeping his secret identity! Because if he does intend to maintain it, he's frankly being very dumb. As someone said, it's like having your password be "password"!
    I don't know about that. It could be taken as a “hiding in plain sight” sort of thing: when trying to track down someone's secret identity, you don't start with “maybe his codename is part of his secret identity's name”. Rather, it's more like the investigator finally uncovers his identity after much effort, and reacts in disbelief, “you've gotta be kidding me.”
    Rogue wears rouge.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Yeah; that's why his costume was red-breasted, because Robin Hood was well known for wearing a red tunic.
    When Robin was introduced, 1938's The Adventures of Robin Hood would still have been in the public consciousness.

Being a comic book super hero, the Boy Wonder's costume had bolder colors.

...How long did it take them to come up with this one?

Like, as a whole I think it's kind of ridiculous to try and make a codename out of your last name even if it can work as a reference to something else, but this thread pretty much proves it's as much of a joke magnet as Red Robin. It just seems kind of dumb to me.

So...not crazy about the costume. Not crazy about the codename. Bendis might have lost me on Tim .

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    When Robin was introduced, 1938's The Adventures of Robin Hood would still have been in the public consciousness.

Being a comic book super hero, the Boy Wonder's costume had bolder colors.
    Yeah. The quote from Lee above (re: Robin Hood) is actually text from the first appearance of Robin so... yeah, Robin Hood.

pPX7jXE.jpg

I think this choice of code name is average. I do not see it sticking though. It is too bad DC cannot let him be Tim the adult Robin the way Grayson was on Earth-2.

Drake... I'm on board. Damian been hinting at his alias for years, lol

I liked the codename for sounding cool and like a dragon but then I learned about the ducks.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Tim Duck, really? A goose is scary, but a drake is only scary to female ducks during mating season. All of this is completely quack! Bendis is a mallard too!

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Tim Duck, really? A goose is scary, but a drake is only scary to female ducks during mating season. All of this is completely quack! Bendis is a mallard too!
    Here's a roughdraft of his future costume;