Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'm looking forward to watching the storm of dissenting opinions about Tim's new costume. But for my money, I actually really really like it.

It looks like "What if 1970s Jack Kirby had designed Robin?"

I'm all about it. None of the other Robins actually really could pull off ... Kirby style. Damian is firmly rooted in Denny O'Neil & Neal Adams ancestry and reflects that. Dick is all that Bill Finger & Jerry Robinson grinning daredevil filtered through Wolfman & Perez, filtered through a few more things. Jason has morphed from a Dick Clone into someone who actually successfully incorporates all the same 1980s anti-hero tropes that shared the era of his origin story, like The Punisher and what-not. Works for Tim, for me.

I might tend to agree that the colors could be less muted and pop more, but I want to see it in motion and up against other characters and costumes, first.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I'm looking forward to watching the storm of dissenting opinions about Tim's new costume. But for my money, I actually really really like it.

It looks like "What if 1970s Jack Kirby had designed Robin?"

I'm all about it. None of the other Robins actually really could pull off ... Kirby style. Damian is firmly rooted in Denny O'Neil & Neal Adams ancestry and reflects that. Dick is all that Bill Finger & Jerry Robinson grinning daredevil filtered through Wolfman & Perez, filtered through a few more things. Jason has morphed from a Dick Clone into someone who actually successfully incorporates all the same 1980s anti-hero tropes that shared the era of his origin story, like The Punisher and what-not. Works for Tim, for me.

I might tend to agree that the colors could be less muted and pop more, but I want to see it in motion and up against other characters and costumes, first.
    Kirby's design'd had have a lot more of colour, I suspect. And something that made it stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Yeah not a fan. Not sure why they went with brown.
    Based on this image alone - it looks too drab.
    The red edits look much better.
    Agreed. The brown makes it kinda boring for me. I also like capes so him no longer having his is a bummer.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

I don't mind the brown. It's unique. I think Tim had a claim to ownership of the red color from his red/black/yellow Robin costume AND taking on the name Red Robin with largely red costumes. But Red Hood and Damian-Robin have pretty red heavy costumes and for that reason I can live with them backing off Tim using red. I think there is potential in a largely brown colored costume. I don't even dislike this costume. I just don't think it's good enough to become a long-term identity for Tim. I think Red Robin suits Tim. I think it's true to his character that he holds on to the Robin identity as he enters his "Nightwing" phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Cyke View Post
    I don't mind the brown. It's unique. I think Tim had a claim to ownership of the red color from his red/black/yellow Robin costume AND taking on the name Red Robin with largely red costumes. But Red Hood and Damian-Robin have pretty red heavy costumes and for that reason I can live with them backing off Tim using red. I think there is potential in a largely brown colored costume. I don't even dislike this costume. I just don't think it's good enough to become a long-term identity for Tim. I think Red Robin suits Tim. I think it's true to his character that he holds on to the Robin identity as he enters his "Nightwing" phase.
    but isn't that counterintuitive or oxymoronic? if he's "holding onto the Robin identity" while he's "entering his Nightwing phase" the he wouldn't really be entering his Nightwing phase. Red Robin was a good attempt but i feel Tynion's run on 'Tec proved why it was never going to work, because it's too easy to get nostalgic and just make him a big Robin with 2 R's instead of 1. If he really wants to go into the Red Hood or Nightwing phase of his career, he has to be allowed to leave the Robin role to Robin and carve his own path. it's like when you leave for college, you don't come back the same person wearing and doing the same things as when you were a sophomore in high school.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    but isn't that counterintuitive or oxymoronic? if he's "holding onto the Robin identity" while he's "entering his Nightwing phase" the he wouldn't really be entering his Nightwing phase. Red Robin was a good attempt but i feel Tynion's run on 'Tec proved why it was never going to work, because it's too easy to get nostalgic and just make him a big Robin with 2 R's instead of 1. If he really wants to go into the Red Hood or Nightwing phase of his career, he has to be allowed to leave the Robin role to Robin and carve his own path. it's like when you leave for college, you don't come back the same person wearing and doing the same things as when you were a sophomore in high school.
    Great post and points here.

Good points

Incredible Member

Ain't nothing but truth here. He gotta move on. The suit looks great and I'm excited for what the plans Bendis has for him. I think we might finally be getting out of that Robin but not Robin hole we've been in since 2009.

All-New Member

What if the Brown was changed to either a darker blue or a medium green, with the rest black. The yellow can stay as it goes with both colors. With the blue people will say that he looks like Nightwing, but I honestly think it would be a great choice for the new suit for Tim.

Astonishing Member

Is there any chance DC mis-colored this picture for the purpose of messing with us?

Could it be that Tim's costume has different colors? Just wondering.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Is there any chance DC mis-colored this picture for the purpose of messing with us?

Seems like a mean thing to do for no reason. I'm not too keen on the colour I would have preferred red. Though I guess Red is Jason's colour.

It's drastic but necessary. I wonder what the reaction was when Dick 1st debuted his nightwing Blue's.

I'm curious to find out Tim's new name is and see his new logo

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

A different edit

tumblr_980896120bf15d614be17b5018ac0282_da6ae8a5_640.jpg

The green, even a little, make it more refreshing because it's not just all hot/warm colors

Though it does make him look like a carrot

Incredible Member

...Green is nice and all, but not in random splotches all over the costume.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Is there any chance DC miscolored this picture for the purpose of messing with us?

Nah... yellow, brown and black isn't exactly a bad combination, Wolverine wore that. It's the overly detailed lines that make it looks bad, the lack of logo and cape that makes it generic, and the fact that Tim aren't usually associated with brown that makes it off.

Honestly, I'm getting Discowing vibe from this costume in the sense that I can sorta see what they're going for but the choices they make don't fit. Both the Discowing blue and this costume's brown are more mature colors than bright red and green, for a Robin who's grown up, but they have weird design elements on their costume.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-19-2019 at 07:11 AM.

It reminds me of Access' costume design wise. I hate the brown, clashes with the black.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-