Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Tim Drake is the character that earned it every step of the way, with hard work, dedication and integrity. I think he embodies the best traits of the Batman, cunning, ability to adapt and human weakness, traits that even Batman seems to be lacking these days.

Hopefully we get the character we deserve before the year is over, and we can forget the new 52 was ever a thing.
    True Tim Drake fans know how hard Tim had to work to earn his position.
    The true Tim Drake has always been kind and humble, and that was his strength. I'm really praying Bendis could understand the character and starts a new beginning for this hero so bad depicted since N52.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    For me, this was not only my first Robin comic but one of my first comics in general. Robin #7.

Attachment 75824

And yes, Chuck Dixon and Tom Grummet are legends.
    We approached at the same time i guess, we are some kind of "twins"
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 01-03-2019 at 02:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Man, I feel bad bringing this up, but the next Tim Drake I read was actually the New 52. Having only known Tim as glimpses in 2 versions, and having never read any Teen Titans comic before, I have no qualms with this. In my eyes this is just a third version.

5661658e38a6399e300e6b8d221aca2e._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

It was better than I expected. Tim was a bit awkward, a bit dorky, and a lot ruthless and blunt in the sense that he spares no kind words when he's acting leader, until the others called him out on it and he clarifies his intention.

I ended up quitting after one trade, though, not because of anything in the book that particularly offended me, but because of how they collect the next issues.

The Culling crossover was collected in one trade that has every issue, while the Teen Titans, Legion of Superheroes and Legion Lost each collect their 2 issues. This wouldn't be a problem because I can get everything if necessary, but then I found out the Teen Titans Annual was not collected in Teen Titans trade, only in The Culling trade. Of course, the continuation of Teen Titans story is in the Titans trade, not in The Culling trade.

I wasn't about to double dip just for one issue, so I just stopped buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Man, I feel bad bringing this up, but the next Tim Drake I read was actually the New 52. Having only known Tim as glimpses in 2 versions, and having never read any Teen Titans comic before, I have no qualms with this. In my eyes this is just a third version.

5661658e38a6399e300e6b8d221aca2e._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

It was better than I expected. Tim was a bit awkward, a bit dorky, and a lot ruthless and blunt in the sense that he spares no kind words when he's acting leader, until the others called him out on it and he clarifies his intention.

I ended up quitting after one trade, though, not because of anything in the book that particularly offended me, but because of how they collect the next issues.

The Culling crossover was collected in one trade that has every issue, while the Teen Titans, Legion of Superheroes and Legion Lost each collect their 2 issues. This wouldn't be a problem because I can get everything if necessary, but then I found out the Teen Titans Annual was not collected in Teen Titans trade, only in The Culling trade. Of course, the continuation of Teen Titans story is in the Titans trade, not in The Culling trade.

I wasn't about to double dip just for one issue, so I just stopped buying.
    I've read it at that time but I can't remember much about it.
    Only that I can't suffer Brett Booth art and I didn't like the direction the team was going... Tim, though badly depicted, was certainly better placed than his poor fellows: Kon, Bart and Cass, what a mess!

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Tim Drake is the character that earned it every step of the way, with hard work, dedication and integrity. I think he embodies the best traits of the Batman, cunning, ability to adapt and human weakness, traits that even Batman seems to be lacking these days.

Hopefully we get the character we deserve before the year is over, and we can forget the new 52 was ever a thing.
    Agreed. Tim became Robin first off on his own. He had to work hard at it and then convince Batman to make him Robin. He wasn't just taken in.

Also it wasn't because of some tragedy, but because he is a good person. I generally like those heroes better.

Batman it works for because he embodies that. But most of my favorite heroes became heroes not through some tragedy but because they just want to help and do good.
    Wally West, Superman, Hal Jordan. Ect. DC is way too much into this tragic backstory crap these days.

Also Tims biggest attributes came from himself. Not from training with Batman. His detective skills and and tech savy.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    True Tim Drake fans know how hard Tim had to work to earn his position.
    The true Tim Drake has always been kind and humble, and that was his strength. I'm really praying Bendis could understand the character and starts a new beginning for this hero so bad depicted since N52.

We approached at the same time i guess, we are some kind of "twins"
    Lol. Yup. We have similar tastes in our DC heroes and comics for sure.

I know I can always count on you to back me up here.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

So while I did skip on New 52 Teen Titans, I still pay attention for plot development sake because I knew you had to if you don't want to miss anything.

Then, the New 52 origin came and that's when I realized we're screwed.

Attachment 75955

Not because Tim was an athletic prodigy. When the timeline had been shortened to five years, he needs all the skill he can get to become Robin in just one year.
    Also not because he was pushy and annoying to become Robin towards Batman. When Batman is grieving and Tim has to become Robin in that short time, it's a necessity.
    No, it was that stupid Never Robin mandate they had.
    Why?
    Why would you do that? What good did it do?
    The other changes whether you like it or not at least make sense to the timeline. This one? It's not like he immediately became an independent hero as Red Robin. He was still partnering to Batman. He in all sense was still Robin. In story he didn't want to use the name Robin out of respect to Jason, but it was an arbitrary change of name that didn't affect anything. It just sounds dumb.

Then there's the whole Tim Drake is not his real name thing.
    I know why they did this one. This backstory was written later. They already established his name is Tim Drake in the present, but then they make the back story that his family has to be sent to witness protection program, so Tim HAD to change his name. So Tim Drake can't be his name. It HAD to be the name he used to protect his family.

So that whole thing showed that they didn't plan anything. I already started seeing a sign of the broken New 52 continuity here and there, but this made it clear.

Also, this is all before getting into the whole respecting your longtime fans. I was just speaking from a new reader perspective. You guys know better than anyone what this means for you.

I was already not buying at this point, and since the other books didn't mention Tim's backstory, I didn't care about this book, but boy did this series took a long time to die, dragging the other characters with stupid decisions after stupid decisions.

BANNED

I think when they saw these new 52 characters failed Lodbell either got told or decided to give the characters an out. Like, "these are not the real guys" kind of deal. Ergo why bart was not really bart and conner was not really conner.

I enjoy him better under Tomasi. I don't know if he sounds like real Tim, but his feud with Damian is legendary so it's something I know was a carry over.

6577735f183d9098bd5152b5938522b3._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Also, I love that the little bros are debating about ruining Robin legacy when he's right there behind them and getting tired of this XD

BANNED

I dislike how Tomasi writes Tim. Under him tim is quick to anger, dumb, ignorant and treated as pointless and Damian as a clear upgrade. Tho to be fair the batbooks treated the character exactly like that even when Tomasi wasnt writing him.

I dislike how Tomasi writes Tim. Under him tim is quick to anger, dumb, ignorant and treated as pointless and Damian as a clear upgrade. Tho to be fair the batbooks treated the character exactly like that even when Tomasi wasnt writing him.
    Yes, and I'll add that I don't like Tomasi at all when he's writing the Batverse.
    Robin Rises, for example, was one of the purest manifestations of Batgod and how the Batverse does not have to be for my tastes.
    Contrariwise I love Tomasi when is on Superman, in that case he's one of my favorite writers.

Hmm... okay.
    Oh, I forgot, right after reading Hush I started browsing the Bat family because Hush featured family members I don't know. When I was browsing Tim I found this art that remains one of my favorite depiction of him.

Robin.jpg

He's still young and boyish looking but has that buff round muscles with a pose like he's a cast for a fighting game, where despite your age everyone has muscles. In Hush he still looks really young, a kid, here he looks grown up, fierce, and sexy.

Sorry Restingvoice, I don't want to turn off your entusiasm, I'm really happy that there are younger readers that want to increase their knowledge about Tim, but as you've well understood, there is a huge difference between how Tim was at the beginning and how he is nowadays.
    For people like me that loved him and watched him born and grow-up it's really hard travel through again all the massacre that he had since N52.
    I really suggest you to read this great books:

https://www.amazon.com/Robin-Vol-1-R...V13WNM577FJ8KG
    https://www.amazon.com/Robin-Vol-Tri...5S661FR2FDSH3Q
    https://www.amazon.com/Robin-1993-20...5928KVEECW7F59
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eries_rw_dp_sw

And Knightfall saga if you haven't yet!

Incredible Member

Currently living off the 10 seconds of time Tim had in the new YJ season. Good news is it looks like he’ll be important soon.

Tim is in the Lego DC Supervillians game as Red Robin, in his costume from Detective. I unlocked him the other day. No achievements for breaking Damian with him (or vice versa).
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member

If you have the DC Universe Streaming Service, the first three Tim Drake miniseries are on there. Good for a little flashback to the kind of quality that launched the Batfamily as its own sub-franchise.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP