Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152 LastLast

Default Tim Drake: Robin, Red Robin Appreciation 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    So how long until they kill him? Dido said he would never kill a Robin, so this was almost certainly done so they can kill him.
    He's going to get shot in the head and forget who he is and go by Jim Drake.
    The Tim Drake, Robin, Red Robin, Drake, [DeadDuck] Appreciation 2020
    ......Fixed!
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-08-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Is Bobby Drake Tim’s marvel counter

Former Robin artist Tom Lyle has died.
    https://www.newsarama.com/47924-tom-lyle-dies.html
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Former Robin artist Tom Lyle has died.
    https://www.newsarama.com/47924-tom-lyle-dies.html
    Sad news. I had one of his Tim posters hanging on the wall in my room for many years.

Could the JL artist do their research please? Drew Tim in his Rebirth Red Robin costume, and half a dozen heroes on the same page shouldn't have even been present.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Could the JL artist do their research please? Drew Tim in his Rebirth Red Robin costume, and half a dozen heroes on the same page shouldn't have even been present.
    The only two they forgot was Spiderman and the Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    That's a webpage, not an image, so the IMG tags didn't work.
    https://www.deviantart.com/elim18/ar...rake-821815559

Why is Tim rarely used in other animated movies? I mean that after robin he isn’t around. Is that good or bad for his character

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Why is Tim rarely used in other animated movies? I mean that after robin he isn’t around. Is that good or bad for his character
    The animated movies feature characters they want to push, like Damian as the current Robin and biological son of Batman or Batwoman as the lesbian hero.

Dick is there because he's the first Robin, an old and recognizable character for the public, but he isn't used much beyond that capacity. Jason and Tim, the other Robins are considered unnecessary to the story they want to tell, since there's already a Robin.

Basically, the Robin roles, like what Tim has in Hush, Dick's role as The Court of Owls target, Dick and Tim's role as Teen Titans leader is given to Damian as today's generation Robin.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-12-2019 at 09:55 PM.

True. Tim is still using Robin. But I mean for the most part Red Hood is still appearing in other ways. Tim should give a chance. At times it seems people call him the person who ran from his family.

True. Tim is still using Robin. But I mean for the most part Red Hood is still appearing in other ways. Tim should give a chance. At times it seems people call him the person who ran from his family.
    I think part of the problem is Tim doesn't have an obvious niche that can not be exchanged with the others so the writers who are different from comic writers don't know how to use him or feel they don't have to use him.

Dick is the first, Jason is antagonistic because of his murder, and Damian is the biological son. These are not something that's interchangeable between the Robins. (They did give Jason's back story to Tim in The New Batman Adventures, but that's also because they can't do a Jason dying story for a TV series back in the 90s.)

Tim's thing is he's a nerd, hacker and greatest detective of the fam, but being a nerd, hacker and detective is something that writers can interchange with other Robins and non-Robins. Oracle Barbara Gordon is a hacker and Batman being world's greatest detective.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-12-2019 at 10:14 PM.

What makes Tim interesting in the first place? What can they do to make him a interesting character?

What makes Tim interesting in the first place? What can they do to make him a interesting character?
    I think his downfall is that they tried to make him TOO interesting. They tried too hard to force him INTO some kind of niche that made him stand out...

Tim was the 'everyman'. He wasn't the son of an assassin or a street kid or an acrobat... he was just like us. Granted, he was rich... but it was an explaination of why he lived next to Bruce Wayne and his parents could be gone all the time... but Tim was pretty grounded. He went to school, he had friends, he dated normal non-super girls... He lived in the shadow of Jason's death and generally had to balance being intimidated by the danger and the fact he was NOT a born acrobat or natural fighter.... and 'living the dream' of being Batman's partner.

Moving him into super tech guy and computer whiz.... pretty much ruined him. He always had some computer skills... but that was because computer skills were a big thing than and a LOT of kids could relate to that. His 'hacking' skills were pretty basic, because the writers weren't exactly computer people. They tried to push him as a master detective and a master computer hacker... and frankly they have too many of those people already and it isn't necessary.

The 'everyman/normal kid' was his niche. We got more insight into Tim Drake than we ever did out of ordinary Dick Grayson or Jason Todd out of costume. I think some time around Infinite Crisis or before he lost it. All his supporting characters were supers... he lost his civilian life and became 'just another robin'.

Tim is the relatable Robin. He's a fanboy of Batman and Robin, he plays D&D, he's sleep-deprived, he's a nerd but he's cool... I came in very late but I think that's why people are drawn to him in the first place because he's such an entry point character.

Oh, I forget. His one unique non-interchangeable point is having alive parents while he's Robin. He used to have to sneak out to "work" so that's an extra story that Dick, Jason, and Damian are tied to Batman and the Manor don't have. In other words, he has his own supporting cast right off the gate.

So I think the best part of Tim was you can just get into him as the main character without knowing Batman first because he doesn't have to be tied to him all the time.

They're dead now though, he's adopted by Bruce, and... that unique point no longer exists. (People like him being adopted by Bruce, but we're talking unique points here)

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I think his downfall is that they tried to make him TOO interesting. They tried too hard to force him INTO some kind of niche that made him stand out...

Tim was the 'everyman'. He wasn't the son of an assassin or a street kid or an acrobat... he was just like us. Granted, he was rich... but it was an explaination of why he lived next to Bruce Wayne and his parents could be gone all the time... but Tim was pretty grounded. He went to school, he had friends, he dated normal non-super girls... He lived in the shadow of Jason's death and generally had to balance being intimidated by the danger and the fact he was NOT a born acrobat or natural fighter.... and 'living the dream' of being Batman's partner.

Moving him into super tech guy and computer whiz.... pretty much ruined him. He always had some computer skills... but that was because computer skills were a big thing than and a LOT of kids could relate to that. His 'hacking' skills were pretty basic, because the writers weren't exactly computer people. They tried to push him as a master detective and a master computer hacker... and frankly they have too many of those people already and it isn't necessary.

The 'everyman/normal kid' was his niche. We got more insight into Tim Drake than we ever did out of ordinary Dick Grayson or Jason Todd out of costume. I think some time around Infinite Crisis or before he lost it. All his supporting characters were supers... he lost his civilian life and became 'just another robin'.
    Yes. This.

Though I wonder why. Tim was really big back then. They don't need to change him.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-12-2019 at 10:33 PM.