Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152 LastLast

Peter's extreme responsibility doesn't disqualify him as an Everyman; and Tim's insightfulness doesn't disqualify him, either.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Incredible Member

Just reread YJ 11 and realized that they gave Tim the fingerstripes now.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    In fact, I though in Spider-man too (that's why I said "usually"). However, I'm not so sure if he is a valid example or an exception that proves the rule. I mean, he is an iconic character and it was the epitome of the concept.

Even so, Spider-man isn't really so "every man" when you analize some aspects of him (like his extreme responsability).
    Ummh. Spider-Man's Everyman status is what makes Marvel decided he has to be poor and living with his aunt all the time, or at least, living in a cheap apartment and unmarried. One can argue that he's not a good businessman so he can't run a company even though he has a genius mind, but even if you're an every man you can get married and have kids.

So I guess it looks like it's less of the every man status but the company's lack of creativity. Tim is made to lose his parents and Peter his marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Ummh. Spider-Man's Everyman status is what makes Marvel decided he has to be poor and living with his aunt all the time, or at least, living in a cheap apartment and unmarried. One can argue that he's not a good businessman so he can't run a company even though he has a genius mind, but even if you're an every man you can get married and have kids.

So I guess it looks like it's less of the every man status but the company's lack of creativity. Tim is made to lose his parents and Peter his marriage.
    I tend to draw parallels between Tim's loss of his supporting cast with “Mayday” Parker's loss of her father: in both cases, the original writers of Robin and Spider-Girl, respectively, understood the importance of their supporting casts. As well, both realized that their respective characters were inherently optimistic: while Tim had lost his mother and his father had been paralyzed, Tim went through the normal grieving process and then moved on with his life; he didn't have a dark obsession driving him. Likewise, May Parker was presented as the opposite of her father: where Peter learned that people die if you do nothing, May's formative lesson was that people live if you act.

And in both cases, new writers came along who didn't get the characters and who decided that they needed more tragedy in their lives. When this happened (Identity Crisis for Tim; Spider-Verse for May), they killed off dear old dad.
    Rogue wears rouge.

I remember seeing somewhere a diagram of Tim's original Robin suit with all of its bells and whistles, as it were; but I can't find it right now. I think it was in the Robin: a Hero Reborn graphic novel, or the first Robin miniseries. What I'm looking for is a clear online image of the page. Can anyone help?
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I remember seeing somewhere a diagram of Tim's original Robin suit with all of its bells and whistles, as it were; but I can't find it right now. I think it was in the Robin: a Hero Reborn graphic novel, or the first Robin miniseries. What I'm looking for is a clear online image of the page. Can anyone help?
    I think I know what you're talking about. I am...80% sure it was in the trade for the first Robin mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think I know what you're talking about. I am...80% sure it was in the trade for the first Robin mini.
    I'm 99% sure. Unfortunately, I gave my copy of that to my best friend's daughter a few years ago; so I no longer have access to it. And besides, I need it in digital form; I'd have to use my cell phone camera even if I did get my hands on a physical copy of it; and that's just pathetic looking.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    it's in the trade of the original mini, I still have it.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Last edited by shadowsgirl; 12-14-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Thank you!
    Rogue wears rouge.

Thank you!
    You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Just reread YJ 11 and realized that they gave Tim the fingerstripes now.
    Really!? Timbo like's borrowing from the OG doesn't he. 1st his borrowed the Robin suit Designed for Dick's 1st planned live action Movie role Now he's borrowing from His Nightwing.

That's flattering i suppose. If you are going to take inspiration from anyone why not an Icon?

I'm guessing that they are hoping that Nightwing's Fingerstripes will do for Drake what Dick's re designed Robin Suit did for RobinTim. It worked first time so why not a second time Right?
    Last edited by Fergus; 12-14-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Finger stripes?

I was sure the new outfit had a yellow strip down the arm that broke into sections with a brown glove though.

Could someone confirm the finger stripes on the new outfit?

Cause I just read Young Justice #11 and did not come across any finger stripes for myself. Perhaps I missed something, could someone find it in a panel? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    "Every man" concept also does not work very well if the "every man" character is not the main character in the story.
    True, if the goal ever was to recapture that feel, the continuation (new52 onwards) of placing Tim in mainly team books, especially among teams of at least 5 or more other characters had been kinda limiting.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Finger stripes?

I was sure the new outfit had a yellow strip down the arm that broke into sections with a brown glove though.

Could someone confirm the finger stripes on the new outfit?

Cause I just read Young Justice #11 and did not come across any finger stripes for myself. Perhaps I missed something, could someone find it in a panel? Thanks.

Oh yeah I meant that stripe across his arm. Don’t think it actually touches his hands but the design is pretty similar. I consider them fingerstripes because Nightwing N52 has a few variants of the fingerstripes across comics and media that resembled Drake’s suit.