Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637

This issue was classic Claremont, for better and worse! Lots of focus on character relationships with a side of cringe!

Highlights off the top of my head:
    spoilers:

-the cringe: Xi’an’s “have you forgotten that I am Vietnamese?” moment...

-Kitty refers to both Doug and Illyana as her “best friend” within a span of a few pages, classic Kitty

-queer subtext alert! I know not everyone sees that in Doug and Warlock, and I don’t mean to suggest it’s as simple as “they’re actually in a romantic relationship!” but these pages are..potent. “Kitty is my best friend, but Warlock.. ever since I’ve known him it’s like he’s a part of me.” “If we do this we’ll be linked forever”...

-possibly accidental HOX synergy with Doug extending his right arm for assimilation.

-page of Darkchylde winning over the T.O. infection for control of Illyana was some great storytelling! Claremont, Sienkiewicz, and..the letterer whose name I don’t have in front of me.. all contributing so much!

-page dedicated to clarifying that Rahne isn’t naked in her wolf form, because that was important to Claremont! Those unstable molecules can do anything!

-I love that Hela had basically nothing to do with this story but still had several pages of communication with Dani, so Sienkiewicz could draw some awesome Valkyrie spreads.
    end of spoilers

Hmmm that’s all I’ve got for now, but I’m sure there’ll be more to talk about...

BANNED

New Mutants #19 Sep 1984
    "Siege"
    Dani gets taken to Mid-County Medical Center. The New Mutants go with her

and figure the bear will go after Dani, so prepare to defend her.
    In space, the Starjammers detect Warlock and Magus approaching Earth.
    Back in the hospital, Tom and Sharon

get nabbed by the Demon Bear.

Illyana puts a magic ward around the operating room Dani's in.
    Bobby and Illyana tangle with the bear and Illyana scares it off with her soul sword.
    The bear knocks out the power - generators turn on - and then attacks Illyana's ward.
    The New Mutants tangle with it, and the bear teleports itself, all the New Mutants,
    and the operating room still protected by Illyana's ward to an other-dimensional place known as the Badlands.

Script by Chris Claremont, art by Bill Sienkiewicz (second issue as regular artist)

BANNED

New Mutants #20 Oct 1984
    "Badlands"
    The New Mutants find themselves in the other-dimensional place known only as the Badlands.
    The Demon Bear warps Tom and Sharon,

changing their appearance to Native American and corrupting them - turning them against the New Mutants.
    The New Mutants battle the Demon Bear, Tom and Sharon.
    Ultimately Illyana defeats the bear with her Soulsword, releasing Tom and Sharon

as well as Danielle's parents whom she'd thought dead.

Dani recovers with some help from the Morlock Healer.

Script by Chris Claremont, art by Bill Sienkiewicz

Extraordinary Member

Looking back, one of the things that impressed me the most about the Demon Bear saga was how it handled the issue of certain characters being so much more powerful than others. It's obvious that if Magik was fighting alone and not having to worry about anyone but herself she'd beat the villain easily, but starting the battle having to protect Dani and being forced to hold back because of it was a better way of keeping her from solving everything in the first few minutes than the usual KO like the stun bolt in the current New Mutants or the Vulcan neck pinch in their fight with the Hellions.

New Mutants #9
    (W) Johnathan Hickman
    (A) Flaviano
    (C) Mike Del Mundo

A NIGHTMARE BECOMES REAL!
    With Krakoan confidence, the youth of mutantkind are ready to take on any challenge the world has to throw at them – but when reality itself betrays them, what hope is there for the NEW MUTANTS?
    Legion’s return??

I presume so. They have previous experience with him, particularly Karma who is appearing front and centre on this cover.

David: Hey, Dad, nice little island you got here.
    Charles: Why, thank you, son!
    David: BTW, where 's Ruth?
    Charles: °_°;
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    New Mutants #19 Sep 1984
    "Siege"
    Dani gets taken to Mid-County Medical Center. The New Mutants go with her and figure the bear will go after Dani, so prepare to defend her.
    In space, the Starjammers detect Warlock and Magus approaching Earth.
    Back in the hospital, Tom and Sharon

get nabbed by the Demon Bear.

Illyana puts a magic ward around the operating room Dani's in.
    Bobby and Illyana tangle with the bear and Illyana scares it off with her soul sword.
    The bear knocks out the power - generators turn on - and then attacks Illyana's ward.
    The New Mutants tangle with it, and the bear teleports itself, all the New Mutants,
    and the operating room still protected by Illyana's ward to an other-dimensional place known as the Badlands.

Script by Chris Claremont, art by Bill Sienkiewicz (second issue as regular artist)
    These pages are so DAMN GOOD as they were 35 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    And this seems not at all bad.

BANNED

New Mutants #22 Dec 1984
    "The Shadow Within"
    Wolfsbane writes a fairy tale,

in which her beloved is consumed by shadow,

and she kills the one responsible.

Script by Chris Claremont, art by Bill Sienkiewicz