Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I always thought Empath's powers shouldnt be telepathy of any kind, it should be more chemical, regulating brain chemistry which is the origin of emotions. His eyes are psionic prozac.
    He should also be able to anaesthetize people or put them to sleep, or make them tell the truth like the CIA does with truth serums.

In one of the last times he was used, after M Day, his powers worked like that, like a psychiatrist drugging patients.
    I dont see what the difference would be. He would still be capable of doing the same things, just it wouldnt be psi-based but Im not sure what that would change

Mighty Member

I always thought Empath's powers shouldnt be telepathy of any kind, it should be more chemical, regulating brain chemistry which is the origin of emotions. His eyes are psionic prozac.
    He should also be able to anaesthetize people or put them to sleep, or make them tell the truth like the CIA does with truth serums.

In one of the last times he was used, after M Day, his powers worked like that, like a psychiatrist drugging patients.
    But Empathy is not telepathy.. I hate that it gets the short end of the stick.. We have so few empathic mutants in marvel.. Just Moonstar, Meggan and Empath

The manipulation of chemicals is a interesting power but that sounds more like how Wallflowers abilities worked.. They over rode telepathy which I though was a neat twist.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont see what the difference would be. He would still be capable of doing the same things, just it wouldnt be psi-based but Im not sure what that would change
    in general powers tend to get simplified with time, especially for minor characters. When Fraction used Empath and Karma in his BDSM Maddie story in the Utopia period (the first time Karma was seen in bed with another woman) he had them as pretty much normal telepaths. I never saw Empath as a telepath at all. Karma originally wasnt a telepath either, just someone who could possess the mind of another person.

I remember Xavier asking Shan to possess Magik because she had locked herself in her room, Magik then was immune to telepathy (when she had the demon body). Charles couldnt read her mind or control her, but Karma still could possess her. Karma also couldnt communicate telepatically, to tell something to Cannonball she had to possess his mind and make him write stuff on his mirror with shaving cream so he would read it after unpossessing him.
    Those subtle distinctions of the 80s tend to get lost in time

That is why I would rather have Empath as different from a telepath as possible. Make him more biochemical, like a psychiatrist giving pills to his patients. Not like Jean/Charles/Emma/Quentin etc
    I also wouldnt be inventing anything, he has already been used that way in a story

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Y
    A
    S
    Take money I'm trash
    GrindrStone(D)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That variant is stunnsational!!!...even though it's missing Karma.

Sam looks black to me..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Sam looks black to me..lol
    Right!! With his Flat top
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

The only question is, who will be in bondage by page 15 and how much pleasure will they feel from the joys of servitude

What do you think the chances of Marvel tying Karma's origins into the Sian-Cong conflict they mentioned in the Secret History of the Marvel Universe comic? I'd argue we're already at the point where the sliding time-scale makes her origin of fleeing Vietnam as a child at the end of the war unworkable.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    What do you think the chances of Marvel tying Karma's origins into the Sian-Cong conflict they mentioned in the Secret History of the Marvel Universe comic? I'd argue we're already at the point where the sliding time-scale makes her origin of fleeing Vietnam as a child at the end of the war unworkable.
    I don't think Marvel's gonna do anything with Karma's backstory
    GrindrStone(D)

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

in general powers tend to get simplified with time, especially for minor characters. When Fraction used Empath and Karma in his BDSM Maddie story in the Utopia period (the first time Karma was seen in bed with another woman) he had them as pretty much normal telepaths. I never saw Empath as a telepath at all. Karma originally wasnt a telepath either, just someone who could possess the mind of another person.

I remember Xavier asking Shan to possess Magik because she had locked herself in her room, Magik then was immune to telepathy (when she had the demon body). Charles couldnt read her mind or control her, but Karma still could possess her. Karma also couldnt communicate telepatically, to tell something to Cannonball she had to possess his mind and make him write stuff on his mirror with shaving cream so he would read it after unpossessing him.
    Those subtle distinctions of the 80s tend to get lost in time

That is why I would rather have Empath as different from a telepath as possible. Make him more biochemical, like a psychiatrist giving pills to his patients. Not like Jean/Charles/Emma/Quentin etc
    I also wouldnt be inventing anything, he has already been used that way in a story
    You are SO right about all of this! The shaving cream scene was great, LOL. Gosh, I miss so much those down-home details, like the gang going rescue Kitty by bus!

This was one of the main reasons why I got away from X-titles in the 90's: all characters began to seem interchangeables, so it was hard to me to feel attached to them.

Neat!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That variant is stunnsational!!!...even though it's missing Karma.
    Karma is the purple X

Amazing Member

I always thought karma powers would/should slowly develop into a lowfi-telepath which give her the chance to read minds and at least communicate with other with her mind just like Dani moonstar was developing her powers from where they started to become lowfi -telepathy. Like Monet& sage is a lowfi telepath

Isn't Sage a technopath? She remembers everything perfectly and has a link to computer networks - she's known as a living computer. When she was with the X-Treme X-Men, they used special glasses for communication, not telepathy.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman