Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    in general powers tend to get simplified with time, especially for minor characters. When Fraction used Empath and Karma in his BDSM Maddie story in the Utopia period (the first time Karma was seen in bed with another woman) he had them as pretty much normal telepaths. I never saw Empath as a telepath at all. Karma originally wasnt a telepath either, just someone who could possess the mind of another person.

I remember Xavier asking Shan to possess Magik because she had locked herself in her room, Magik then was immune to telepathy (when she had the demon body). Charles couldnt read her mind or control her, but Karma still could possess her. Karma also couldnt communicate telepatically, to tell something to Cannonball she had to possess his mind and make him write stuff on his mirror with shaving cream so he would read it after unpossessing him.
    Those subtle distinctions of the 80s tend to get lost in time

That is why I would rather have Empath as different from a telepath as possible. Make him more biochemical, like a psychiatrist giving pills to his patients. Not like Jean/Charles/Emma/Quentin etc
    I also wouldnt be inventing anything, he has already been used that way in a story

I used to like this subtle stuff when writing psionic powers.

From the training Xian had with Emma during the Utopia era it looked like she was starting to develop her powers towards TP, but I like it as only possession. Same as Moonstar having full blown TP abilities (hers were more confusing tho), I wouldn't like that. At a point even the Mastermind sisters looked more like telepaths than they should have.

Emma also used to say stuff about the brain/biochemicals sometimes, so I think that TP users or generally psichic users in the MU act on the brain while using their powers or are able to affect it physically if they want. I still like this take on Empath more than Fraction's (he even tried to read Emma's mind in that run, as a common TP), plus it gives a nice spin to Empathy as a power.

Not a fan of the anime face, but love the use of lighting in that Yana pic.

Astonishing Member

it was a mistake to not make Amara an Amazonian native imo. but then the whole Inca-Roman city lost in the amazonas was one of the most outlandish Claremont things

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    it was a mistake to not make Amara an Amazonian native imo. but then the whole Inca-Roman city lost in the amazonas was one of the most outlandish Claremont things
    I totally agree. The original Roman bloodline would have thinned out by the time of her appearance. Plus the New Mutants had too many blondes anyway. They out numbered the minorities. I can only figure Chris wanted her physically different than Dani. They could have gotten away with making her more native looking by having her keep the curly hair and made it dark brown instead of black like Moonstar. There... fixed. LOL

Magma from Evolution made more sense in that regard

Amara felt like a place holder for Illyana.
    A first draft.

What do you think of New Mutants 2019's art style?

I personally like it myself. It has a unique retro look that separates it from the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post

I personally like it myself. It has a unique retro look that separates it from the others.
    I generally am digging it, though I feel like Rod Reis is drawing Rahne as too young looking. Weird when the one with a child (albeit a dead one) is the youngest looking member of the team.

I think the first mirrors people used were dark pools of water inside less dark but dark caves, at night

That style reflected in modern comics, as in Mitch Gerad's Mister Miracle or, of course, Sienkiewicz's signature OG NM run, is powerfully resonant.

Depending on how he uses panels and motion and how silence and space work in the narrative...I think, from what I've seen, Rod Reis could be perfect for scrying the (night ain't as dark as the light of day) fractured pschycho-goth-sci-fi-fairy tale that is New Mutants lore.

Really looking forward to the War Children one shot and ongoing new title and its tie-in-absent-parent X-Men acting adult ongoing.

And very glad the New Mutants are in the marrow of the bone in the body this new body of x-books.
    Last edited by sungila; 09-15-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

I love it and appreciate that it isnt house style. It reminds me of the classic Claremont/Sienkiewicz run which also wasnt the typical Marvel style

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Magma from Evolution made more sense in that regard

Forever my magma.. I also wondered why the hellions could not been more diverse.. we had Warpath and Jet Stream but it ended there.. Half the time Catseye gave me light skinned Black girl. Roulette and Bevatron could have been POCS easily. Beef can stay what he was but he could been working class midwesterner.

Amara is my Magma! Hope we see her!

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Plus the New Mutants had too many blondes anyway.
    You're right, I've always thought the same, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    They could have gotten away with making her more native looking by having her keep the curly hair and made it dark brown instead of black like Moonstar.
    Yeah, it was that easy. Well...

Worst thing is, with the passage of time, artists have not even respected her curls neither her brown eyes. Now she's usually portrayed with straight blond mane and blue eyes, just as a million more female characters

Wrote this in the Magik thread... but on reading the New Mutants War Children book today:

It was very much in Claremont's voice, that's for sure. Took me back like I was reading an old issue I had forgotten about. Yes, same ole same... but a lot of fun.

And holy cow that art. You forget how much you love someone's style till you see a huge dump of it like this. So many frame-able pages.