Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast
    BANNED

SHAZAM! is a call to action for Billy Batson to let loose..

CAPTAIN MARVEL!!

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    LOL! Mary Marvel, a substitute for Alice in Alice in Wonderland!
    LOL wrong franchise ^, although you likely don't really care, were you just shamelessly trying to clear the "bottom"of the page by posting anything random, to then (for some obsessive reason) get the first post ^ on top of the next page again?. LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-22-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Yeah, it's Wizard of Oz (that's a blue version of the Yellow Brick Road), so she's Dorothy, not Alice.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-22-2019 at 04:29 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

LOL! I mixed up Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz with Alice from Alice in Wonderland!

I've posted a new chapter to a Shazam story over on FF and AO3, if anyone fancies taking a look.

Still at the 'prologue' stage but moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Cover ^

Looks like we've had Wozenderland revealed:
    SHAZAM! #9
    written by GEOFF JOHNS
    art by DALE EAGLESHAM
    cover by MARK BUCKINGHAM
    variant cover by KAARE ANDREWS
    After their terrifying adventure through the Darklands, Billy and the rest of the Shazam family find themselves going over the rainbow and through the looking glass into the upside-down, topsy-turvy world of the Wozenderlands! It’s a magical, multicolored metropolis where it’s always time for a cup of tea, a game of croquet or even a stroll down the Blue Brick Road—but it’s also ruled by the mysterious Wizard of Wozenderland, desperate for the power of the six champions!
    ON SALE 08.21.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, it's Wizard of Oz (that's a blue version of the Yellow Brick Road), so she's Dorothy, not Alice.
    To be fair if 616MarvelYearisLeapYear was commenting on the classic Mary Marvel pages posted on the previous page (I assume he was talking about) yes those were obviously all reference to Dorthy, which he may have mistook for Alice LOL!
    Yet the new solicitations, while the Cover image' brick road, scarecrow, obvious reference to Dorthy's world, there is also a hole in the road, the Cheshire Cat and holding the woodsman ax is the White rabbit, plus the description above bold/underlined are actually references to Alice's world.
    So yeah the new stuff is a mix of both, and likely more.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-23-2019 at 12:04 PM.

I've posted this elsewhere, but I was wondering specifically what Shazam fans think about it…

Over in the Justice League, they're going on and on about “the Seven Energies of Creation” (and their dark counterparts; but that's not relevant for what I'm thinking here): while not everything has been revealed, it appears that these are the Emotional Spectrum of the Green Lanterns (which is centered on Willpower), the Speed Force, the recently unlocked Sage and Strength Forces, a Life Force that featured in Aquaman's arc, and supposedly some sort of Divine Force that will be featuring in an upcoming Wonder Woman arc.

Shazam, meanwhile, is based around six empowerments: the Wisdom of Solomon, the Strength of Hercules, the Courage of Achilles, the Power of Zeus, the Stamina of Atlas, and the Speed of Mercury. The recent title has also implied (I think) something about there being a previously unknown seventh element. I can draw reasonably good parallels in the ones we already know: the Sage, Strength, and Speed Forces match up with Solomon, Hercules, and Mercury incredibly well; I could see the Life Force paralleling Atlas' Stamina without stretching the idea too far; Courage and Willpower are remarkably close cousins; and Zeus nearly screams “Divine Force”.

Is this just a coincidence, or is DC planning on connecting the Shazam family directly into the Seven Energies of Creation at some point?
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Cover ^

(although this was a one-off never an established "realm')

I think it's fun (a bit cute to see them together) and ok to reference these classic tales, and there is even precedence for it.
    Yet this is a little to on the nose. In SHAZAM's world building I'm fine with referencing several known, familiar tropes and character types, but you should change them enough so they are their own, only slightly recognizable, feel familiar, yet are actually new.
    If anything, re-world building the SHAZAM U they should be pulling more from Parker, Binder, and artist C. C. Beck's rich world and history they created for the character. There is so much more there.
    That Alice in Wonderland Cover looks awesome, I'm definitely going to check that one out. The classic animated Alice is probably one of the few animated Disney movies I really like.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Maybe it's just me, but on that cover you could almost mistake Billy for wearing his old Captain Marvel costume.

Mary looks as great as ever .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but on that cover you could almost mistake Billy for wearing his old Captain Marvel costume.

Now that you mention it I almost thought it was. I miss the military and sash look.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Agreed. Words cannot describe how I feel, for that is truly a lovely image of Mary.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-24-2019 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

In an era where it seems like everyone else has their own color scheme, I'm surprised that Mary's costume is (back to) red, rather than the white they had her in in the 90s.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    In an era where it seems like everyone else has their own color scheme, I'm surprised that Mary's costume is (back to) red, rather than the white they had her in in the 90s.
    I think originally Johns was going to reveal that Mary was Billy's long lost twin. But that has been done away with because the comics are now following the movie, where now-older Mary couldn't possible be Billy's sister because his mother was only 17 when she had him.

For what it's worth, I'm fine with her not being his flesh-and-blood sister. The underlying premise of this take on Shazam is that you don't have to be related to be family.
    Rogue wears rouge.