Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Golden Age Justice Society of America Appreciation 2019

to continue from the previous version created by dr-brainwave, which can be found at Golden Age Justice Society of America Appreciation! . . .
    . . . Welcome to the "original JSA" appreciation thread, here we can celebrate the first and most important super team ever created!

This thread is dedicated to the original Golden Age JSA, to be more precise it's about the 18 heroes who joined the JSA during the GA (Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, Carter Hall, Rex Tyler, Kent Nelson, Wesley Dodds, Al Pratt, Johnny Thunder, Dinah Drake, Ted Knight, Charles Mc Nider, Wonder Woman, Jim Corrigan, Clark Kent, Ted Grant, Terry Sloan, Ma Hunkel and Bruce Wayne), the villains, the supporting cast, the creative teams, publication history...

By the way, if you haven't already checked them out, there are a few polls I created a while back on "Favorite Members" of the JSA.
    The first two, which include the Golden Age members, can be found at:
    * Justice Society Poll I: Who are your favorite Golden Age regular members?
    and
    * Justice Society Poll II: Who are your favorite members (1961-1999)?
    since some of those included on Poll II may have worked with the JSA in the Golden Age on occasion, but were not presented as regular, full-time members back then.
    (And the polls limited me on how many choices could be included on a single poll.)

originally from Justice League of America #76 (November-December 1969)

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Thanks for opening this new thread Major. Let's hope Doomsday Clock will bring back this wonderful team as soon as possible.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    Thanks for opening this new thread Major. Let's hope Doomsday Clock will bring back this wonderful team as soon as possible.
    Some of this team anyway.

A true Justice Society would need it's own earth - Earth 2.

If it shares a world with the JLA, then we get a scaled-down version. But they are still good.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Some of this team anyway.

A true Justice Society would need it's own earth - Earth 2.

If it shares a world with the JLA, then we get a scaled-down version. But they are still good.
    Are you confusing the original "Golden Age Justice Society of America" with other, later versions of the JSA?

While I wouldn't want DC to necessarily return all of the original team to the present-day DC Universe, I do want all of them returned to the history / backstory of the team.

The JSA, a team that first appeared in 1940, didn't receive an actual origin until thirty-seven years later!

from DC Special #29 (September 1977):

The post-CoIE revision was presented eleven years after that in Secret Origins #31 (October 1988):

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Continuing my first found out in other threads, I first found out about JSA as I was reading the wiki on each character I already know. Like, after I found out the difference between Wally and Barry, I found Jay. After I found out about Hal, I found Alan. Then from there I found JSA.

It was in the 2000s when Infinite Crisis was happening and all DC characters young and old are coming out of the woodworks and into the book stores and I was wondering what is happening.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Are you confusing the original "Golden Age Justice Society of America" with other, later versions of the JSA?

While I wouldn't want DC to necessarily return all of the original team to the present-day DC Universe, I do want all of them returned to the history / backstory of the team.
    yeah, that's pretty much what I meant.

There's no reason why we can't have and Earth 2 Justice Society (golden-age inspired) and a shared Earth Justice Society; the latter will have be smaller and scaled down but still have our favorites. (I have missed Ted Grant.)

This poster was my intro to the JSA when I discovered it in my neighbor's old comic box. I spent many years waiting for some of those characters to show up in a JLA/JSA team-up! (Generally we only got 5 members at a time, once a year). It also boggled my mind that there was ANOTHER Batman & Superman out there.
    I wish the funny books still did stuff like this & the Legion rosters to help catch up new readers.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post

This poster was my intro to the JSA when I discovered it in my neighbor's old comic box. I spent many years waiting for some of those characters to show up in a JLA/JSA team-up! (Generally we only got 5 members at a time, once a year). It also boggled my mind that there was ANOTHER Batman & Superman out there.
    I wish the funny books still did stuff like this & the Legion rosters to help catch up new readers.
    And, there was also this

showing both the (then) "present-day" (1981) members of the Justice League of America as well as the Justice Society of America
    (from Justice League of America #195 (October 1981))

as well as

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XII (February 1986) to show two others.
    (And, yeah, I loved when they gave us stuff like that, too.)

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

tumblr_ksl5ae1xcj1qzvw5po1_500.jpg

Currently reading the JSA's re emergence into the silver age as I go through the JLA series. It's pretty good.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

This is the next issue I'm up to in reading through the JLA series.

RCO001.jpg

This should be good.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Anyone ever buy the JSA PVC sets from about 15-20 years ago?

pvcjsa.jpg

cover of All Star Comics Illustrated Index (1987).
    Cover art by Richard Howell.