Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Because he was used in a way which undermined several character arcs.

The most obvious is Flash. Somehow, it was decided, either by Snyder or Whedon, I don't know, that he wouldn't be heroic yet. Therefore, his arc wasn't to fight the Parademons, but to save the family. It was supposed to be his first real act of heroism for us the viewers, something to hook us into the character's journey. And he does just that... to be confronted with Superman saving a whole ten stories building in seconds, as if it was nothing, making the whole arc of Flash and his whole character redundant.

He did just that with Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Cyborg when it came to battling Steppenwolf (Batman being only human couldn't do much in the final battle), with particularly egregious lines ("Is this guy still bothering you?"), which gave him a very arrogant and distasteful personality to me. He wasn't heroic at all, he was an arrogant idiot showcasing his strength.
    OK, and did you like him more in Man of Steel and BvS?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    OK, and did you like him more in Man of Steel and BvS?
    Yes.

I found his plight endearing in those movies. Here was a normal man, with god-like abilities, having to decide what to do with it, and the movies not shying from the consequences of those actions made him all the more heroic, because he always tried to do good, in spite of the world's cynicism.

Honestly, DC ditching the shared universe template as established by Marvel may be the best thing ever for their character.
    A lot of us were saying it from the start. It was never necessary for WB/DC.

And, honestly, I'll take the BoP movie being made any day of the week over another Superman/Batman movies for now.
    I'd agree, if I had any expectations of BoP being any good.

I dont want to see any movies from WB until they figure out what they're doing, how to adapt DC's properties, and can consistently hire the right people to make the films. What does it matter if your favorite character finally gets a movie, if it's not actually a good one?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    why did you hate Superman in JL?
    Because he was used in a way which undermined several character arcs.

The most obvious is Flash. Somehow, it was decided, either by Snyder or Whedon, I don't know, that he wouldn't be heroic yet. Therefore, his arc wasn't to fight the Parademons, but to save the family. It was supposed to be his first real act of heroism for us the viewers, something to hook us into the character's journey. And he does just that... to be confronted with Superman saving a whole ten stories building in seconds, as if it was nothing, making the whole arc of Flash and his whole character redundant.

He did just that with Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Cyborg when it came to battling Steppenwolf (Batman being only human couldn't do much in the final battle), with particularly egregious lines ("Is this guy still bothering you?"), which gave him a very arrogant and distasteful personality to me. He wasn't heroic at all, he was an arrogant idiot showcasing his strength.
    People liked Cavill as Superman in JL. He was one of the few positive things about it. It was just too little too late, and the film as a whole was a dumpster fire. The correct thing to do would be a new Superman or JL film that allows Cavill to play it like that, because that's what most audiences have wanted. Just attach it to a better put together overall film. If it's a JL film, make it a better team movie. Don't tone him down, boost everyone else up.

His portrayals/the executions in BvS/MOS and JL should absolutely not be our only options.

Buuut...back to Shazam

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Side note: I really think DC Comics should/can reclaim and work with Isis as a character in the Shazam mythology. I get the current connotation, but in the context of Shazam, Black Adam, Osiris, and the DCU in general, no one is going to get confused that she's empowered by the goddess Isis, who's been around by one name or another for millennia..
    Absolutely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    'Shazam' Director And Producer Returning For Sequel

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/03/18/...g-safran-date/

Awesome!

Yes.

I found his plight endearing in those movies. Here was a normal man, with god-like abilities, having to decide what to do with it, and the movies not shying from the consequences of those actions made him all the more heroic, because he always tried to do good, in spite of the world's cynicism.
    He was pretty good in Man of Steel, but I found him so gloomy and underwhelming in BvS. He finally found his confidence in JL, imo. To each their own.

Spectacular Member

I hope in the sequel that billy is much more mature

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Hello,

Never posted in this thread before. The first time I came across Captain Marvel was in the DC vs Marvel story and I thought he was pretty cool. I have a question about his current portrayal. Why does CP seem immature in adult form nowadays. Isn't he supposed to have the wisdom of Solomon?

Quote Originally Posted by SelinaK12 View Post
    I hope in the sequel that billy is much more mature
    Haven't seen much yet... avoiding the spoilers. That said, I don't want Billy TOO mature. Most of the appeal of Captain Marvel/Shazam is that whole wish fulfillment kid as an adult aspect. If you make him TOO mature, then he's right back to being a superman clone. The immaturity is what sets him apart from every other superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    Hello,

Never posted in this thread before. The first time I came across Captain Marvel was in the DC vs Marvel story and I thought he was pretty cool. I have a question about his current portrayal. Why does CP seem immature in adult form nowadays. Isn't he supposed to have the wisdom of Solomon?
    Wisdom of Solomon is REALLY hard to write.... In most post-80's interpretations, Cap is a tad naïve or childlike. In the golden age he was I guess two separate personalities... but now he's portrayed as a kid with the gifts of the gods. Which... unfortunately can be taken WAY too far sometimes.

Ideally he should have that childlike wonder surrounded by magic... but have enough wisdom and maturity that Superman and Batman don't immediately realize they're talking to a 10 year old... Its tough balance to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Haven't seen much yet... avoiding the spoilers. That said, I don't want Billy TOO mature. Most of the appeal of Captain Marvel/Shazam is that whole wish fulfillment kid as an adult aspect. If you make him TOO mature, then he's right back to being a superman clone. The immaturity is what sets him apart from every other superhero.

Wisdom of Solomon is REALLY hard to write.... In most post-80's interpretations, Cap is a tad naïve or childlike. In the golden age he was I guess two separate personalities... but now he's portrayed as a kid with the gifts of the gods. Which... unfortunately can be taken WAY too far sometimes.
    Agreed. One of the many reasons I love reading SHAZAM!

Ideally he should have that childlike wonder surrounded by magic... but have enough wisdom and maturity that Superman and Batman don't immediately realize they're talking to a 10 year old... Its tough balance to get right.
    A challenge well-worth undertaking, IMHO.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-23-2019 at 11:50 AM.

only a few more days....

Spectacular Member

I dont think the wisdom of Solomon is hard to write because writers have wrote him using the wisdom of Solomon that's why C.C Beck gave them the power. Just because he is smart doesn't make him a superman clone because we know that he's not. Im not saying that he cant be childish but with the powers he has he should atleast not be joking when the world is in trouble.

Last edited by Güicho; 07-01-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    That's pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Mighty Morphing Shazam Rangers!!
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

BANNED

To me, the wizard Shazam has no need for the mighty morphing shazam rangers as his champions. Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel are enough.