Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Shazam! is a call to action for Billy Batson to let loose..

Captain Marvel!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    To me, the wizard Shazam has no need for the .... shazam rangers as his champions. Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel are enough.
    Apparently Billy, Mary and Freddy were not enough for C. C. Beck, and Otto Binder, who added the Lieutenantst; Tall Billy, Fat Billy and Hill Billy who along with Mary and Freddy, he shared the power with since the 40s

Johns just added some color updated them to Eugene, Darla and Pedro.
    What has always made Billy unique was his ability to share the power with them all, with a family.
    Sorry you don't like it, it's a terrific part of the franchise. I love the new Lieutenants!
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-27-2019 at 05:05 AM.

I can see why he called them Rangers. They're colour coded like the Power Rangers. We need official names, dammit!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I can see why he called them Rangers. They're colour coded like the Power Rangers. We need official names, dammit!
    I agree. If Billy’s Shazam and Freddy’s King Shazam, the others will need codenames.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    To me, the wizard Shazam has no need for the mighty morphing shazam rangers as his champions. Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel are enough.
    Couldn't agree more. Marvel triple action at its finest.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Apparently Billy, Mary and Freddy were not enough for C. C. Beck, and Otto Binder, who added the Lieutenantst; Tall Billy, Fat Billy and Hill Billy who along with Mary and Freddy, he shared the power with since the 40s

I still say they don't count though. That's like saying Bizzaro and the superman robots should be major parts of the franchise because of course they existed... The lieutenants existed, but were VERY VERY rare... The DC database lists them as EIGHT appearances. So somebody decided that it was cool to have more lieutenants... then immediately backtracked and said Nope... that didn't work. We'll save them for wacky once a decade stories...

Based on that... we've already seen more of THIS family then we ever saw of Fat tall and hill Billy's. So I just can't get behind their minor existence being a precedent for crowding the book like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    I agree. If Billy’s Shazam and Freddy’s King Shazam, the others will need codenames.
    "King Shazam" sounds like a direct rebuttal to "Captain Marvel Jr." .

I doubt "Queen Shazam" would catch on more then "Mary Marvel" though.

King Shazam is probably a nod to Kingdom Come, right? Where Freddy was King Marvel?

As far as the names made a few suggestions way back when - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3869352
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3567255

If Freddy is King (besides the Kingdom Come Elvis nod) they could all go by Chess designations: King, Queen, Bishop Knight, Rook.

Although they are not using Marvel, there is no reason they can't still use Captain, and by extension expand on this with the others whimsically all taking Military rank designations, Billy obviously still be Captain, the others different ranks; Lieutenant, Major, General, Admiral, etc... I can see kids having fun with this.

Combine the Rank with their respective power attributes: Power, Courage, Wisdom, Strength, Stamina, Speed.

Another suggestion was just easily referencing their respective Deity Namesakes: Hercules, Zeus, Mercury, etc..

Or even further (to the horror of some here) fully embrace the Power-Rangers motif using their color designations: Red, Green, Blue, ... etc. Or again the rank or attribute combined wit their color .
    All fun!

Also Johns so far is having great fun with it: and the kids debating what name to go by, pretty much their own discussions mirror several ones we had here.
    Although I can't remember anyone suggesting Captain Sparkles! Or the Sparkly Friends ! LOL

Last edited by Güicho; 03-27-2019 at 06:59 AM.

By Alex Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    As far as the names made a few suggestions way back when - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3869352
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3567255

If Freddy is King (besides the Kingdom Come Elvis nod) they could all go by Chess designations: King, Queen, Bishop Knight, Rook.

Although they are not using Marvel, there is no reason they can't still use Captain, and by extension expand on this with the others whimsically all taking Military rank designations, Billy obviously still be Captain, the others different ranks; Lieutenant, Major, General, Admiral, etc... I can see kids having fun with this.

Combine the Rank with their respective power attributes: Power, Courage, Wisdom, Strength, Stamina, Speed.

Another suggestion was just easily referencing their respective Deity Namesakes: Hercules, Zeus, Mercury, etc..

Or even further (to the horror of some here) fully embrace the Power-Rangers motif using their color designations: Red, Green, Blue, ... etc. Or again the rank or attribute combined wit their color .
    All fun!

Also Johns so far is having great fun with it: and the kids debating what name to go by, pretty much their own discussions mirror several ones we had here.
    Although I can't remember anyone suggesting Captain Sparkles! Or the Sparkly Friends ! LOL
    Agree with this.

Even when he was Captain Marvel... He was usually referred to as "The Captain" or "Captain" or even "Cap"... That could TOTALLY make a comeback. It would still stink a bit that he lost his 'Marvel'... but I was a big supporter of the "Captain Thunder" name that's been used in the past and just call him Captain for short. Still has that same 'Feel' that Shazam just doesn't have.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    By Alex Ross.

The funny thing is that there was one issue of Carol Danver's books were she was communing with different Captain Marvel(s), across time and space, with some being her doppelganger, which featured every version of "Captain Marvel"...including DC's (though you could only see a leg with the familiar colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    By Alex Ross.

If these were all inspired by, (unless i missed him) he needs to add Elvis!
    Inspired by Jr.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-29-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Go go Shazam Rangers! Mighty Morphin' Shazam Rangers!

There's a surrpsiing amount of British ripoffs too in addition to the better known Marvelman. Ace Heart, Masterman, Electroman, Thunderbolt Jaxon, Captain Miracle the other Miracleman and even Bananaman.

The British loved their Captain Marvel homages.