Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
    BANNED

Neal Adams talks about Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    You know what an Appreciation thread needs? ART!

Here's Bob Oksner's Captain Marvel centerfold pinup from Limited Collectors' Edition C-21 (I think) followed by the cover of Captain Marvel Adventures 6 that it was inspired from. If Atlas shrugs, he's gonna be x-rated!

Neal Adams didn't draw a ton of Captain Marvel, but here's his pic from the 1976 DC Calendar (month of August).

Neal Adams gives his opinion about the whole situation with Captain Marvel..

Posted a new chapter over on Fanfiction.net and AO3, if anyone's interested.

'Say My Name'.

Got this t-shirt in my biweekly comics package today...amazed it exists in 2019. It's like that one forbidden JLI cover where Batman calls Captain Marvel "Captain Marvel."

marvfamtee.jpg

BANNED

Batman has class!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Classic cover art by C.C. Beck from Whiz Comics #12 (January, 1941):

Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-25-2019 at 10:14 AM.

BANNED

Holy Moley! Thanks for sharing Electricmastro

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Holy Moley! Thanks for sharing Electricmastro
    You're welcome! Yeah, I felt it was a cool enough cover worth sharing. Can't quite say the same for all of what's in the issue itself though, one part in particular being rather bad.

Quote Originally Posted by justinslot View Post
    Got this t-shirt in my biweekly comics package today...amazed it exists in 2019. It's like that one forbidden JLI cover where Batman calls Captain Marvel "Captain Marvel."

marvfamtee.jpg
    Yeah, I'd have thought any merchandise calling him Captain Marvel would be banned for the same reason that they can't call a comic that. Is there a copyright year at the bottom right there? I'm wondering if this is old (the art definitely is, but I mean the product itself - I'd be surprised if it's after 2011, when the character officially became Shazam).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Well...that's an image I'm not used to seeing with the Big Red Cheese .

Incredible Member

Just reboot the entire series in a year, and bring back the classic elements of the SHAZAM! mythos. You can incorporate the new stuff if you want.

Speaking of which, guess what's on the last page of today's new issue?
    spoilers:
    A massive retcon, that's what. Billy falls into the Darklands, and we see a gravestone saying RIP Captain Marvel - and a caption promising Shazam vs Captain Marvel next issue! Looks like Billy is no longer a reboot of Captain Marvel, but instead is a successor.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Speaking of which, guess what's on the last page of today's new issue?
    spoilers:
    A massive retcon, that's what. Billy falls into the Darklands, and we see a gravestone saying RIP Captain Marvel - and a caption promising Shazam vs Captain Marvel next issue! Looks like Billy is no longer a reboot of Captain Marvel, but instead is a successor.
    end of spoilers
    That's not what the caption says, though. But considering how wonky the timeline has become in the DCU, I won't be surprised if you're correct in the end.

[spoiler] the gravestones have the names of whoever's buried in them. They don't necessarily have dead bodies buried in them; Billy's grave certainly didn't. [/Spoiler]

In other news, is this title still on indefinite hiatus? If so, I'll be disappointed. While it's not Captain Marvel, I've been enjoying it for what it is.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Astonishing Member

It's still so weird for me not to immediately refer to him as Captain Marvel in my own head that I have to admit I read the last page clearly, cleanly and properly and it took me all the way until the zinger/tagline at the end for me to realize there was anything unusual about seeing it in the art. Like Johns had to spell it out for me because I'm still just like "And now Captain Marvel's falling down a dark hole ..."

And I mean, what am I doing, calling Mary "Mary Shazam"? But it's all just curious.

This book is still nice. Rare enough but solid enough to enjoy. You'd hope with the delays the art wouldn't have to be split duties but both halves at least looked and felt okay to me. I'm usually pretty hardcore about not digging that sort of thing.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Ah, this old thread. About time I see it again since they managed to release another issue.