Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
That part I didn't hear. What I heard was during my first actual read to Damian in New 52 Batman and Robin, people didn't like it because the character seem to regress back to when he was before with Dick Grayson. Despite the book itself acknowledging that time happen, the fans feel like DC is trying to replace Dick and Damian's development with Bruce and attributing Damian's development to Bruce instead of Dick.

DIG009993_2._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I didn't think much of it because it was a reboot and I view it as their way to reintroduce Damian's character to the new reader. They need to introduce the bratty, stabby part before going into the soft, insecure insides.

I was actually more annoyed that they depict Bruce as emotionally detached when I know he's been raising kids for as long as he was Batman. I still can justify it as Bruce being extra nervous because in classic Bruce and Dick relationship they just become friends without both feeling the burden that they have to be father and son, while with Damian there's a lot of awkwardness going on.

Like suddenly they both realize "Oh ****. We have to be a family."

I understood Bruce acting the way he did afterall this wasn't his choice.
Bruce has been raising kids but in a different way to Damian. Tomasi is the first time i saw him go to full Father mode. he also did reject Damian at the start before he died so i get the reason why he was detached.

Damian demanded more emotional involvement than Dick and Jason because Damian needed more.He needed side of Bruce we have never seen Fans say that Bruce has been a father before and while that is true. We have never seen it explored. we just sort of accepted it without seeing it. Tomasi is the only Writer that has ever explored batman as a dad.

Another thing when fans say Damian doesn't work with Bruce they bring up the Tomasi run which isn't really about them working as batman and Robin but about them learning to be family. r

Suddenly forced to be family with someone you rejected is going to match you detached.

Fans also disliked the run because they felt it elevated Damian to some special son place and because it did not feature Grayson. I didn't mind any of that. Batman Inc gave us the closure we needed for that duo. Tomasi was here explore Bruce and Damian

Damian and Bruce work well a batman and robin Tomasi's work was about something else.