Page 166 of 272 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176216266 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,490 of 4078

sdcc-2019-dc-s-batman-panel

-Tomasi likes writing Damian because no one else interacts with Batman the way he does. "He really surprised me by becoming my favorite Robin."

-Snyder called Damian "the perfect evolution of Batman - he's Batman with no emotional connections."

-Snyder didn't write Robin in his Batman run because his son was the same age, and he didn't like thinking of a child in street fights.(we heard this before)

-Tomasi had the opposite reaction - he drew on many of his experiences with his son to add real familial moments to his Batman & Robin run.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post

-Tomasi likes writing Damian because no one else interacts with Batman the way he does. "He really surprised me by becoming my favorite Robin."

-Snyder called Damian "the perfect evolution of Batman - he's Batman with no emotional connections."

-Snyder didn't write Robin in his Batman run because his son was the same age, and he didn't like thinking of a child in street fights.(we heard this before)

-Tomasi had the opposite reaction - he drew on many of his experiences with his son to add real familial moments to his Batman & Robin run.

Does he still think that even today
    that describes day 1 damian

Incredible Member

How would a Batman with no emotional connections be a good hero, let alone be an interesting character to read? I don't get why so many people seem to like the idea of a loner Batman who refuses to work with others.

I'm glad Morrison and Tomasi developed Damian's relationships with other characters.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    How would a Batman with no emotional connections be a good hero, let alone be an interesting character to read? I don't get why so many people seem to like the idea of a loner Batman who refuses to work with others.

I'm glad Morrison and Tomasi developed Damian's relationships with other characters.
    Oh. It's toxic masculinity. I work alone. I'm strong and cool. I don't need anyone. Other people are incompetent and unreliable. I'm alpha. I can fight the villains, struggle and survive, on my own... and bed Catwoman and Talia while I'm at it. Yeah, I'm stressed and angry, but I can beat up villains to let loose...

As for its relation to Damian, I have no idea what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    I donīt know... But this reminds me Batman 666.

I still miss Gleason..

Emotional connections can compromise a hero - Just look at what's going on in King's run.Aside from Bruce turning into an incompetent hero. He's acting out like a child all because he wants his GF. Who by the way compromises he's credible hero status by being a thief

be used against you - How many Robin's has Bruce lost? One time he lost a robin despite standing a few feet away. He was busy having domestics with Talia while Damian was getting killed. Nice back up guys.

Emotional connections add value to some heroes and can even make some better at the job for others depends. Batman I'm on the fence especially since he mostly just uses them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh. It's toxic masculinity. I work alone. I'm strong and cool. I don't need anyone. Other people are incompetent and unreliable. I'm alpha. I can fight the villains, struggle and survive, on my own... and bed Catwoman and Talia while I'm at it. Yeah, I'm stressed and angry, but I can beat up villains to let loose...

As for its relation to Damian, I have no idea what he's talking about.
    But that just year 1 batman
    he pretty much on the ally badwagon once dick in the picture

Hopefully Synder will get to write more Damian. I know the chances of that happening are slim since Synder likes a loner bats but I can hope.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Emotional connections can compromise a hero - Just look at what's going on in King's run.Aside from Bruce turning into an incompetent hero. He's acting out like a child all because he wants his GF. Who by the way compromises he's credible hero status by being a thief

be used against you - How many Robin's has Bruce lost? One time he lost a robin despite standing a few feet away. He was busy having domestics with Talia while Damian was getting killed. Nice back up guys.

Emotional connections add value to some heroes and can even make some better at the job for others depends. Batman I'm on the fence especially since he mostly just uses them.
    Maybe, but a character with no relationships is just boring.
    One of the reasons they added Robin was to get Batman someone to talk to.
    I have no interest in Batman on his own.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    But that just year 1 batman
    he pretty much on the ally bandwagon once dick in the picture
    Yeah but the question was why people like that loner Batman

"The Perfect Evolution of Batman" That's some very high praise from a big batman fanboy like Synder.

"Batman with no emotional connections" That doesn't sound like Damian or even Synder's version of Damian. that does sound like 666 Batman.

Not surprised Morrison + loner Batman who's all about the mission.

Makes me wonder what Damian in The Knight on Earth is going to be like?

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    "The Perfect Evolution of Batman" That's some very high praise from a big batman fanboy like Synder.

"Batman with no emotional connections" That doesn't sound like Damian or even Synder's version of Damian. that does sound like 666 Batman.

Not surprised Morrison + loner Batman who's all about the mission.

Makes me wonder what Damian in The Knight on Earth is going to be like?
    I forgot Synder said we were going to see him and Duke in the story.

Synder's Damian is quite emotionally connected and prone to tantrums so i figured he must be talking future or potential.

Extraordinary Member

hmmm

its uncanny

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    hmmm

its uncanny
    It is Uncanny. Who is the other character?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

He wasn't exactly having domestics with Talia while Damian was being killed. She had him chained up in a safe in the bottom of a pool and neither of them actually expected Damian to be there, and Talia really didn't expect that the clone to be resentful enough of Damian to kill him. Which she ought to have, being resentful of siblings to the point where you murder them is pretty common in nature, and very common in humans.

King's run is showcasing what has been easy to miss in previous BatCat stories, not that people realize it, including I suspect Mr. King as well: Bruce and Selina is not a healthy relationship. When you look at Earth 2, you see that Bruce when with Selina is not a good detective, it's the same with the Year 1 and 2 stuff and elesworlds with BatCat. It's not an inaccurate portrayal as most people when they are in a relationship built on lust and fetishes like BatCat and drop all friends and family to be with the other person get stupid. Really stupid.

That said, emotional connections and relationships are not a bad thing, particularly for someone in Bruce's career fields. One of the more interesting developing bodies of research on human behavior is how the brains of human males change when exposed on a constant basis to infants, children, and adolescents. The areas associated with risk assessment and problem solving basically explode, which correlates with something that law enforcement and military has know forever: dads make better investigators and soldiers. They are more likely to notice dangers and less likely to do irrational things that endanger themselves and others. They are more aware and observant than a non parent of the same age and background.

It's why Batman needs a Robin and not a wife or romantic partner; as we constantly see since Bruce is an idiot when he gets laid. We also know thanks to Multiversity that Damian is an idiot when he gets laid. Dick's...a bit of an idiot, and Jason and Tim don't get laid. We can say that because the whole jump the shark part of Lost Days when Talia sleeps with Jason and sends him to Hush because her dad died has be erased from current continuity. Not saying Jason's a virgin, but he doesn't get stupid due to sex as we haven't seen him get laid yet in canon.

As it has been pointed out, Bruce as a loner, only relationships that matter are romantic and then only with Selina, is a fine example of toxic masculinity. Ironically, despite its popularity, as Batman is longest running examples of tender masculinity in modern literature. What's really ironic is Deathstroke is now a better example of tender masculinity than Batman, and a more attentive parent. Which says a great deal about the comic book industry from top to bottom.