Page 59 of 272 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I too noted the Raven similarities but didn't really mind it.
    I also liked the setting and feel of her story [visuals and tone not narrative which was quite generic]. We always knew it was going to be Arabia but I didn't expect it to be so rich and flavoursome.

I'm feeling and loving everyone expect Damian which is just unfortunate.

Not feeling the big head art but i like that it's individual and Damian doesn't look Caucasian.
    I also liked the look and feel of her backstory. I just wish the actual story had been less predictable. I'm hoping that it'll turn out that she doesn't have a brother/her brother was innocent and SHE was the one doing all the horrible things, but had a change of heart or something. And she's actually a demonic djinn. I think that's a lot more interesting than her not being responsible for any of it because she was forced.

And I agree. Damian is my least favorite part of TT. And I also do like the art most of the time, especially how the kids have clearly different races and no sameface, but the last few issues have been meh for me.

Fantastic Member

Speaking of Djinn since Adam Glass is taking so much from mythology about Djinns I decided to do some research and found some interesting things.

In the newest issue Djinn mentions she is a Sila a female djinn. Sila are shown to be talented shapeshifters described appearing in human form and female. Also, they possess same the bodily needs of human beings and can even be killed, but they are free from all physical restraints. Jinn also punish humans for any harm done them which explains her actions towards Joystick and possiblity Emiko. Also, they often engage with human activities often to help them which is shown by her relationship with the children in her origin story.
    Finally, they are able seduce men, marry them or even give birth to a child from a relationship between human and jinn. Which is my theory as to why her older brother wants her back and also explains why she still is so young. However, I don't think she seduced Damian I think they actually like each other. But, by having Emiko think Djinn ring is controlling Damian it not only adds drama to the book but, also uses the mythology to explain Djinn's actions and motives.

I think Adam Glass clearly as done a lot of research.
    Based on this research I think we can see a lot more interesting storylines for Djinn's character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    It's not appropriate to use anywhere, bro. :/
    It is if you dont take it personally. But people are usually thinskinned in these kind of places.

And as a bisexual it's all kinda the same to me, so I never understand when people are like "ew gay ships that's so stupid and doesn't make sense" but then in the next breath ship a male character with every female who's ever breathed in his general direction. And this disgusted reaction is only with boy characters. Djinn is obviously in a love triangle with Crush and nobody's like "ew gross." People need to grow the eff up.
    I think her being so much older than him is the creepy thing. I got nothing against making Damian gay to be honest, its just a very delicate subject. DC seems to want to put the thing to rest tho, so they aged him and made him straight. I remember even before the new 52 a couple girls the age of Damian appeared suddenly in gotham and i could do nothing but roll my eyes.

Fantastic Member

I just never thought DC would make Damian or John gay or even Bisexual because quite frankly I think a lot of people would still have a problem with it. Not me personally, but I could totally see people calling DC Comics writers SJWs for making Robin or Superboy gay. I mean there's still some people mad about Iceman being gay. Also once they hit puberty DC Comics tend to have a trend of getting the robins and super boys dating or having crushes pretty quick. I knew this was coming I'm just surprised they took this long and the story is interesting.

But, I think the main thing that reason why Iceman coming out as gay was seen as a problem is for some people is because it seemed to come out of nowhere it was a recon. I think if they wanted to make Damian Bisexual there is still a small chance to do that. But, I think the only way people will accept it fully is if it came from Damian already established character history. That's the only reason I always throught Damian wouldn't be gay because there was never any chracter moments to suggest that aspect of his character. But between the pre 52, new 52, and current comics we he as been shown to have crushes on different girls. For instance, Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, and Supergirl. That's just my reasoning due to reading his comics since his creation. If they were going to establish that for the character I felt they would have done it sooner rather than later and now it may be too late.
    Last edited by shadow6743; 02-25-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Tim drake fans desperately want him to be gay that there's talk of a change. org petition to sway DC

Damian fans don't want him with anyone or whatever. Why is it the two robins who are least likely to score that have fans who stress over this the most.
    This is why I don't like relationships so much in my comics.
    i don't care what Damian does or dates I just want writers to put thought and effort into their stories.

I don't know what DC plans to do with Damian. they haven't picked a lane yet and I think that's more interesting.

@shadow6743 that's really informative. I'm glad Glass is dedicating time to research. It shows in parts of his work. For a book that isn't handling my favourite very well I think I'm able to enjoy it so much because of how good everything else is. So it still remains one of favourites.

@Mataza no it is never appropriate. . There is never a reason to use such words.

It falls under hate speech, so yeah, not appropriate anywhere. It was meant to insult people, based on an assumption on their sexual orientation. It is offensive. Has nothing to do with being thin or thick skinned.

And given this is an appreciation thread for the character, and people who ship that character with X or Y or Z are all still fans of him, don't think disparaging commands and insults towards them belong here... This shouldn't be the thread to rant about parts of the fandom, IMHO.

Frankly, I don't really understand aging a character so they become "love story" material. Children are perfectly capable of having little innocent crushes, which may have been more fun and interesting approach for Damian maybe. But based on the age increase I assume the intent is to go a more grown-up and sexual route and I have to ask, why?... Why is it so crucial for every character to hook up and have sex or whatever? Or is it "if in a team book, someone has to hook up"? Maybe both? Probably the fact I have zero interest in Damian's sex life plays into it, because to me he is still the "little one" of the Bat-family. I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by shadow6743 View Post
    I just never thought DC would make Damian or John gay or even Bisexual because quite frankly I think a lot of people would still have a problem with it. Not me personally, but I could totally see people calling DC Comics writers SJWs for making Robin or Superboy gay. I mean there's still some people mad about Iceman being gay. Also once they hit puberty DC Comics tend to have a trend of getting the robins and super boys dating or having crushes pretty quick. I knew this was coming I'm just surprised they took this long and the story is interesting.

But, I think the main thing that reason why Iceman coming out as gay was seen as a problem is for some people is because it seemed to come out of nowhere it was a recon. I think if they wanted to make Damian Bisexual there is still a small chance to do that. But, I think the only way people will accept it fully is if it came from Damian already established character history. That's the only reason I always throught Damian wouldn't be gay because there was never any chracter moments to suggest that aspect of his character. But between the pre 52, new 52, and current comics we he as been shown to have crushes on different girls. For instance, Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, and Supergirl. That's just my reasoning due to reading his comics since his creation. If they were going to establish that for the character I felt they would have done it sooner rather than later and now it may be too late.
    Katana and emiko are the only girls that if you squint you could see a crush

Kara Dick made a joke that was based on nothing

Cass and Steph there is nothing not even a 3rd person joke that could be misinterpreted into a joke.

I think fans are looking for hints and things where there is none. Damian isn't anything yet. I don't think Damian has ever had romantic feelings for anyone. Male or female.

People who will be against a gay character just because of their sexual orientation aside, I think it bugs people when Comic book companies all of a sudden retcon a character in a lame effort to look more progressive, inclusive, liberal etc. If not for anything because it feels calculated and forced and as an afterthought so disrespectful all around. "We should have a gay character in our comics to look more inclusive, lets turn character X gay" is such lazy writing. It sure would be great for comic books to be more inclusive, but I also wish it would happen through characters and stories that one puts effort and thought into rather than the whole "Ok, we will throw character X their way to shut them all up" approach...

Spectacular Member Grandmaster_J's Avatar

I just wish that fans and the creators would care more about telling and reading great ideas, and stories than a particular character's sexual orientation. You can ship whatever you want but you screw yourself out on any potential enjoyment by concerning one's self with things that aren't important, and should be irrelevant or a small detail.

Fantastic Member

Also, when thinking about the relationship forming between Djinn and Damian and people saying its creepy because of the age difference. We have a couple currently in one of DC best shows who fall into the same age cateogry.
    Miss_Martian_and_Superboy.jpg

According to the Young Justice, the current chronological ages of Miss Martian and Superboy are 55 and 8. I like this couple and the reason I don't have a problem with these two being a couple is because althrough they have different chronological ages they are both physically and mentally teenagers. The same can be said of Damian and Djinn being a couple as Adam Glass said she is meant to be 14 to 15 years old physically and mentally. However, other couples in comics that this does not apply to are:

maxresdefault.jpg
    Because once again the couple as to be physically and mentally in the same stage of life. This is actually creepy.

Also, when thinking about the relationship forming between Djinn and Damian and people saying its creepy because of the age difference. We have a couple currently in one of DC best shows who fall into the same age cateogry.
    Miss_Martian_and_Superboy.jpg

According to the Young Justice, the current chronological ages of Miss Martian and Superboy are 55 and 8. I like this couple and the reason I don't have a problem with these two being a couple is because althrough they have different chronological ages they are both physically and mentally teenagers. The same can be said of Damian and Djinn being a couple as Adam Glass said she is meant to be 14 to 15 years old physically and mentally. However, other couples in comics that this does not apply to are:

maxresdefault.jpg
    Because once again the couple as to be physically and mentally in the same stage of life. This is actually creepy.
    Yeah, pretty much my opinion, i'm personally no attached to any ship regarding Damian, but Djinn age difference doesn't bother me, she acts and looks like a teenager that is at best 2 years older than Damian, so there is nothing creepy about it for me.

Slade and Tara is basically an old man, taking advantage of a sociopath teenager so ewww... to that one.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Exactly. This is a world where you have many characters whose "chronological age" will be higher than others due to various reasons, but they will look and act as their peer. And as long as they are mentally and physically at the same stage of life, it shouldn't matter... Take Wonder Woman. Technically she is ancient but she is very much a woman in her mid 20s/30s and a peer to Superman or Batman etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiac View Post
    Exactly. This is a world where you have many characters whose "chronological age" will be higher than others due to various reasons, but they will look and act as their peer. And as long as they are mentally and physically at the same stage of life, it shouldn't matter... Take Wonder Woman. Technically she is ancient but she is very much a woman in her mid 20s/30s and a peer to Superman or Batman etc.
    Is current WW ancient?, i know that is like that in the movies, but i remember that in Post-Crisis she was definitely in her 20s.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Is current WW ancient?, i know that is like that in the movies, but i remember that in Post-Crisis she was definitely in her 20s.
    It depends if you look post-crisis at George Perez run it looks like she was born during the Bronze Age according to the time the Amazons settled on Paradise Island and the time that her mother made her out of clay. It seems to be similar case in the new 52 and in Rebirth. So, Wonder Woman would have to be a least 1200 years old at the youngest.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster_J View Post
    I just wish that fans and the creators would care more about telling and reading great ideas, and stories than a particular character's sexual orientation. You can ship whatever you want but you screw yourself out on any potential enjoyment by concerning one's self with things that aren't important, and should be irrelevant or a small detail.
    So true particularly in a medium such as comics where characters are written by various writers who have their own preferences so nothing is ever set.