Page 116 of 272 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 4078
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post

Gleason

Fawkes

Gleason Rebirth
    That's why I say Damian looks ethnic in the first issues of Robin: Son of Batman, but not in the last (in the internal pages, you can see Damian has the same skin as Bruce).

Also, I don't know how the Gleason Rebirth is an example. I mean Damian and Jon has the same color skin.

Astonishing Member

Yes he does

Damian is darker than Slade and Dick [whose is Romani supposedly]
    I start to think we have a different concept about a brown skin Damian. Is Damian really darker in that image?

That said, in Deathstroke #42, I see Damian as white as Slade.

PS: Dick being Romani isn't a topic I will enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    That's why I say Damian looks ethnic in the first issues of Robin: Son of Batman, but not in the last (in the internal pages, you can see Damian has the same skin as Bruce).

Also, I don't know how the Gleason Rebirth is an example. I mean Damian and Jon has the same color skin.
    Na dude they are not the same colour.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Oh, I see that image. I don't see him as brown in this.

Also, Selina has the same skin color than him in that issue
    As I said Selina isn't full white and the contrast is there in all the other white characters in the issue.

I start to think we have a different concept about a brown skin Damian. Is Damian really darker in that image?

That said, in Deathstroke #42, I see Damian as white as Slade.

PS: Dick being Romani isn't a topic I will enter.
    Well in this issue he is darker than Slade. I'll have to refresh my memory on #42 but this artist has consistently drawn Damian darker don't see why he would change for one issue.

i feel that you are expecting a huge difference in the colouring but why should it be drastic? all I know is that those artists I've listed don't draw him milky white and also make the effort of using a different shade of paint no matter how slight the difference in tone to his Caucasian comrades/bros.

Damian is Darker in this picture.
    Will try an find some scans of pages with Bruce and Damian from the RSOB under Fawkes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Na dude they are not the same colour.
    Really?

Maybe it's because I grew up in a contry where being mixed race is pretty common, but a slight difference of tone in the skin does not represent another race for me
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-21-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Really?

Maybe it's because I grew up in a contry where being mixed race is pretty common, but a slight difference of tone in the skin does not represent another race for me
    In real life it doesn't because skin colour comes in so many hues but in fictional work it is one of the methods to visually and easily identify someone as a different race.

Of course it could also just mean the character is outdoorsy or like to tan.

Astonishing Member

Well in this issue he is darker than Slade. I'll have to refresh my memory on #42 but this artist has consistently drawn Damian darker don't see why he would change for one issue.

i feel that you are expecting a huge difference in the colouring but why should it be drastic? all I know is that those artists I've listed don't draw him milky white and also make the effort of using a different shade of paint no matter how slight the difference in tone to his Caucasian comrades/bros.
    In Deathstroke #42, Damian's skin look similar to Slade skin. At least, his face doesn't look as red as his face in that image of Deathstroke #35.

Honestly, when you wrote "certain artists consistently show Damian as a minority", I though you mean Damian looks like a minority.

Damian in "Robin Son of Batman" look like a minority in the first issues. I think you mean that style.

In real life it doesn't because skin colour comes in so many hues but in fictional work it is one of the methods to visually and easily identify someone as a different race.

Of course it could also just mean the character is outdoorsy or like to tan.
    I understand that.

Many examples I just saw it has Damian with a color skin somewhat different to other characters, but I wouldn't say he look as a different race or a minority.

In the cover of Superman #10 Rebirth, Superman, Batman, Damian and Jon have different tone of color skin.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-21-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Oh, I see that image. I don't see him as brown in this.

Also, Selina has the same skin color than him in that issue
    Can't see how you don't see this as brown or how you can say that Damian in Robin Son of Batman and Teen Titans isn't a minority.

When comic artist on a tight deadline decides to colour a batkid differently [they are usually coloured and drawn like Bruce clones that it's become a running gag]they are doing it for a reason. When they choose to do it for the bat kid who is most notably in his canon of a different ethnicity [the Al Ghuls are more notably ethnic not like Dick being Romani] then it's more than likely the reason was to shown his ethnic blend.

In Deathstroke #42, Damian's skin look similar to Slade skin. At least, his face doesn't look as red as his face in that image of Deathstroke #35.

Honestly, when you wrote "certain artists consistently show Damian as a minority", I though you mean Damian looks like a minority.

Damian in "Robin Son of Batman" look like a minority in the first issues. I think you mean that style.

I understand that.

Many examples I just sas it has Damian with a color skin somewhat different to other characters, but I wouldn't say he look as a different race or a minority.

In the cover of Superman #10 Rebirth, Superman, Batman, Damian and Jon have different tone of color skin.
    I would say it does. To me it does.

It's the simplest and most logical reason for his "somewhat different skin colour"
    Last edited by dietrich; 04-21-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Astonishing Member

Can't see how you don't see this as brown or how you can say that Damian in Robin Son of Batman and Teen Titans isn't a minority.

When comic artist on a tight deadline decides to colour a batkid differently [they are usually coloured and drawn like Bruce clones that it's become a running gag]they are doing it for a reason. When they choose to do it for the bat kid who is most notably in his canon of a different ethnicity [the Al Ghuls are more notably ethnic not like Dick being Romani] then it's more than likely the reason was to shown his ethnic blend.
    I've never said I don't see Damian as a minority in Teen Titans.

Also, as I say, Damian look as a minority in first issues of "Robin Son of Batman". However, Damian looks more "white" in the last issues.

I just don't see Damian as brown in the New Talent show case. Also, he has the same skin color than Selina (I don't know if she's mixed race or not) in this.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-21-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Fantastic Member

New Talent show case

Meyer

Pham

Selina isn't full white though is she and compare them to Alfred and Bruce and everyother white person in the new Talent showcase and they are brown.

Nope in the later stages of RSOB Damian is still darker than Bruce but lighter than Talia and Maya.

Damian is darker than Jon and the Kents in Superman see below
    When did Italians stop being white? The retcon of her being Cuban (and Cuban does not necessarily mean brown, many of them are almost as white as the majority of posters on this site) is gone. Her father being a Falcone was established pre 52, sorry I don't know what issue but I do remember that Catgirl (Kitrina) was her little half sister. Batman Eternal established that Leo Falcone was her dad, and he's pretty blonde.

In any case, let me just point out that my Ethiopian and Indian housemates both referred to people of Arabic and Middle Eastern ethnicity as a darker shade of white, and that both men after three years of living in my latitude were pale enough that their families accused them of bleaching their skin. Damian should look like the average resident of Dearborn Michigan in the winter. Or Saladin Ahmed, or the kid who plays Bruce in Gotham except for he should have some Far East features as well. He's mixed race and spends the majority of his time in latitudes with low UV and indoors during daylight. He's going to fade. Everyone does. Seriously, have you not seen how pale the people in Dearborn are? That's the largest concentration of Arabs outside the Middle East and most after a few years can pass for white.

Which blows my mind, because unlike my latitude, it's safe to expose skin to the elements for several months of the year. Up here it's either frostbite or mosquitos. Or both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    When did Italians stop being white? The retcon of her being Cuban (and Cuban does not necessarily mean brown, many of them are almost as white as the majority of posters on this site) is gone. Her father being a Falcone was established pre 52, sorry I don't know what issue but I do remember that Catgirl (Kitrina) was her little half sister. Batman Eternal established that Leo Falcone was her dad, and he's pretty blonde.

In any case, let me just point out that my Ethiopian and Indian housemates both referred to people of Arabic and Middle Eastern ethnicity as a darker shade of white, and that both men after three years of living in my latitude were pale enough that their families accused them of bleaching their skin. Damian should look like the average resident of Dearborn Michigan in the winter. Or Saladin Ahmed, or the kid who plays Bruce in Gotham except for he should have some Far East features as well. He's mixed race and spends the majority of his time in latitudes with low UV and indoors during daylight. He's going to fade. Everyone does. Seriously, have you not seen how pale the people in Dearborn are? That's the largest concentration of Arabs outside the Middle East and most after a few years can pass for white.

Which blows my mind, because unlike my latitude, it's safe to expose skin to the elements for several months of the year. Up here it's either frostbite or mosquitos. Or both at the same time.
    I live in the UK so don't have a clue what the people in Michigan look like.

Cuban doesn't always mean brown but it usually means darker [as does Italian they have a Mediterranean tint to their skin]

There's a reason why their families accuse them of bleaching and there is a reason why skin bleaching is a thing for people of Arabic and mid Eastern ethnicity.

Now I know why those DC artists who choose to depict him as same as a bat kid clone do. It's the latitude. That's what they are thinking. That's an excuse I guess.
    it's not that those artists are ignoring it. It's just that those like Gleason who draw him as darker aren't knowledgeable enough or haven't thought well enough on the matter to know better.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 04-21-2019 at 03:19 PM.

But that is what I mean. Now each artist varies in how dark they make him or how they want to draw him to show him as a minority but that ia what I meant.