Page 250 of 272 FirstFirst ... 150200240246247248249250251252253254260 ... LastLast
Results 3,736 to 3,750 of 4078

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    I would rather a live action Damian role goes to an actor that matches he's comic heritage but I'm also aware that that specific pool of talent is pretty limited so I'm willing to settle.

I'm not going to call others and Dc disgusting or racist because they are working with they have nor is it right to pick on a young actor just because he liked a fan cast that some Damian fans sent to him.
    This. All of this. I love representation. I love the fact that Hollywood is taking more steps to assure that people like me, as well as others, are given more prominent roles in the media. But for a character like Damian, who is WAY more mixed than just "50% this and 50% that", you're gonna have a REALLY hard time finding someone who both fits that description and is a talented enough actor to pull off the role (no lie, playing a convincing Damian is probably the ultimate challenge for ANY child actor). So sometimes you will have to settle for someone who may not fit the ethnic description but does fit the physical one.

Where was the mass fandom outcry when Storm had TWO live action actresses who weren't Kenyan (added bonus. They're both half white)? Barely anywhere, right? Because both actresses still looked the part (hell nobody even minded that Alexandra Shipp played Aaliyah...well...they did but not because of her race). How about the half-Mexican Jessica Alba playing the white Susan Storm? Or Elizabeth Olsen playing the Eastern European Scarlet Witch (she even got the accent)? Or when they cast a black dude from South Carolina instead of a Native African to play Black Panther (and as a black guy, I can tell you: Yes. There is a difference between being African American and being African)? Fandoms really like to cherry-pick when not being as authentic as possible is okay.
    Last edited by Blue22; 11-22-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

I wasn't aware that fans protested Talia and Ra's casting my mistake. Damian fan's regardless of their feelings on Talia ought to realise that the Damian they get depends on Talia's casting. Representation doesn't just apply to characters we like.

When i saw they protests to the rumoured CW Damian casting the 1st thing I did was look up who plays Talia before I deciding whether I needed to polish my pitchfork.

The child depends on the parents. It's frustrating that none of these protesting that particular rumour never even considered that or just don't care. When I tried to explain that might be the case I got called a racist. Since I'm not a POC I don't feel confident or qualified to debate with them further so I'm just done with some fans on social media.
    I guess they never though Damian was a real possibility in CW. So, they've never cared enough about Talia.

However, you are right that representation doesn't apply just to characters we like. Talia is Damian's mother, so Damian's race will be related to her.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Dick was white for 40 years before that retcon
    Yeah, and Ra's and Talia were light skin until recently. That's why I said it's not about being accurate.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yeah, and Ra's and Talia were light skin until recently. That's why I said it's not about being accurate.
    That's true. This isn't about accurate to the past.

Fans want more representation of other races, then they will take advantage of any opportunity to demand this.

This could be a change of race for Dick after 40 years. Or that Talia and Ra's are recently being represented with darker skin (although it's still common to seem them with light skin).

I wasn't aware. Damian is in the Harley Quinn series voiced by Jacob Tremblay
    Yes he's supposed to be a foil for harley. Other members of the family will also be popping up. The producers were surprised that they were allowed to use whoever they wanted. They kept expecting to be vetoed on some but nope.

Also they were given free rein to do whatever with/to Damian. The only rule was don't kill him.
    Apparently they majorly disrespect him in one episode according to Grace Randolph who reviewed the entire 1st season. She is a huge Damian fan and she said it disrespectful but it works and she's not upset.

They do the same with other heroes as well.

Schumacher described Damian's character as a pretentious adorable kid playing at crime fighting not a superhero.

Last edited by Fergus; 11-23-2019 at 07:26 AM.

I pretty much agree that correct and diverse representation is crucial. my kids are mixed and I can remember my daughter saying stuff like, "she has hair like me" or "she's brown like me" when she was younger which always made her light up.

Media needs to reflect the world viewing and Companies have to do whatever they can to ensure that the few characters of colour from the source aren't whitewashed or altered in other ways.

They have to do all they can. In some cases where the talent available is limited [capable kid actors of particular ethnicity] then I don't see the problem in casting the next best thing/closest thing to the source.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    But for them that racial slide work well, Since a white man in charge of legion of assasin that usual take after eastern culture might not be perceived so well going forward.

In the recent short lived Swamp thing series there was this one supporting character who was black/biracial but his biological parents were both clearly white. I’m not a doctor but I don’t think genes work that way. So it made the plot twist (the reveal of who his dad was) weird and distracting. I’m not pro-white washing or whatever but whatever they might be doing with Damian should make sense to what Bruce Wayne and Talia Al Ghul look like in the Arrowverse.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    In the recent short lived Swamp thing series there was this one supporting character who was black/biracial but his biological parents were both clearly white. I’m not a doctor but I don’t think genes work that way. So it made the plot twist (the reveal of who his dad was) weird and distracting. I’m not pro-white washing or whatever but whatever they might be doing with Damian should make sense to what Bruce Wayne and Talia Al Ghul look like in the Arrowverse.
    This. I mean it seems pretty striaght forward but I will admit that @ Resting voice had a point. CW had zero plans for Damian, [likely still don't] when they cast Talia.

I just hope when/if the time comes for a live action Damian it all goes without drama.

Sadly I feel that for young Aidan it's now a case of 'the Harry Styles'.

Harry was short listed to take the role of the Prince in the live action Little Mermaid. While contract negotiations were going on the news was leaked on social media. The backlash and negativity directed at him/the casting lead to him pulling out of the deal.

Fans just made all discussion surrounding the casting too toxic.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

But for them that racial slide work well, Since a white man in charge of legion of assasin that usual take after eastern culture might not be perceived so well going forward.
    Yeah, it's like Mandarin in Iron Man 3. They change it because he started as an old yellow peril villain. Ra's and Talia aren't as obvious so post 9/11 I can see why Nolan decided not to go with Arabic Terrorist, but people now are more aware than a decade ago, so them may think it's okay now to do it because people know that not all Arab/Muslim are terrorist. Gotham Ra's is Arab and people love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Yes he's supposed to be a foil for harley. Other members of the family will also be popping up. The producers were surprised that they were allowed to use whoever they wanted. They kept expecting to be vetoed on some but nope.

Also they were given free rein to do whatever with/to Damian. The only rule was don't kill him.
    Apparently they majorly disrespect him in one episode according to Grace Randolph who reviewed the entire 1st season. She is a huge Damian fan and she said it disrespectful but it works and she's not upset.

They do the same with other heroes as well.

Schumacher described Damian's character as a pretentious adorable kid playing at crime fighting not a superhero.

I'm glad that they get to play with the Batfamily. I hope we get EVERYONE at some point.

Curious at what the disrespect to Damian is. Could it be the cutesy? A review called him a nugget of cuteness and another precious which isn't Damian but at least they got pretentious right.

Extraordinary Member

I'm glad that they get to play with the Batfamily. I hope we get EVERYONE at some point.

Curious at what the disrespect to Damian is. Could it be the cutesy? A review called him a nugget of cuteness and another precious which isn't Damian but at least they got pretentious right.
    You know his bratty animated self, without the chracter development we have had in the last 5 years

You know his bratty animated self, without the chracter development we have had in the last 5 years
    No this Damian is a adorable and pretentious. A child playing at fighting villains. Animated Damian started as Batman and son Damian. Hardcore.

This Harley version sounds a lot like lil'Gotham Damian which if it is the case then I'm down for it.