Page 264 of 272 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268 ... LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 4078
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Original Harley (BTAS) was a gymnast. So, flexible and agile, but that does not make a master fighter.
    She has beaten catwoman and Dick Grayson

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Damian's height/appearance has always fluctuated, depending on the artist. Sometimes he looks his age. Sometimes he still looks ten. Hell this used to happen even back when he actually was ten.

I wouldn't be shocked if he was supposed to be 16 in DCeased. Puberty does not like this kid xD
    I'm having flashbacks to ten year old Damian being drawn tall enough to carry Dick, I think it was in Battle for the Cowl.
    Another thing that really bugged me was when they drew Damian with the body of a child, but the face of an old man. Really made me wonder how long it had been since the artists last saw a kid.

Incredible Member

spoilers:
    "Yeah, I'm a little sweet potato pie"
    - Damian Wayne (2019)
    end of spoilers
    Oh my God XD
    He sounds so adorable.

Incredible Member

It's kind of sad that Batman and Robin working together on a case is something special, a highlight that has to be praised. Tells you a lot about the sorry state of the main title.

https://www.newsarama.com/48191-prie...worst-dad.html

The World’s Worst Dad' is about a man who loves and desperately wants to be loved but is capable of neither. So, he does skanky stuff like put a hit out on his daughter so he can spend time with her. And, in the latter part of the series, Deathstroke clearly falls in love with Damian Wayne. I hope fans can understand that, I hope they got that. Deathstroke loves that kid and can access that love in ways he cannot with his own children because Damian is so very much like him.

As sketchy as it all looks I liked Slade and Damian's interactions. I'm glad Damian is a Wayne rather than a Wilson but I hope we get more writers picking from where Priest left off. The animated Department already has something going but that's more their antagonist side being explored. I want more material exploring their similarities.

Damian and Slade make a good duo

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    It's kind of sad that Batman and Robin working together on a case is something special, a highlight that has to be praised. Tells you a lot about the sorry state of the main title.
    Jason was the last Robin to regularly feature in the Bat titles. Tim wasn't there most of the time during his time as Robin. It's not a new thing. A lot of fans like solo Batman.

I wouldn't call it a sorry state since it's ubderstanable.
    DC decided they wanted Robin to be more independent.

Also Robin was created to be an audience stand in. A character readers can insert themselves into to be part of the story. That changed a long time ago.

Lets be frank Batman doesn't need Robin. Not for in story or real world purposes. As much as I like Batman and Robin [certain versions of Robin] I was one of the fans that was very happy in the 90's when Robin was shipped off to solo island [Tim made me dislike Robin]

spoilers:
    "Yeah, I'm a little sweet potato pie"
    - Damian Wayne (2019)
    end of spoilers
    Oh my God XD
    Can't wait to see this show

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Jason was the last Robin to regularly feature in the Bat titles. Tim wasn't there most of the time during his time as Robin. It's not a new thing. A lot of fans like solo Batman.

Also Robin was created to be an audience stand in. A character readers can insert themselves into to be part of the story. That changed a long time ago.

Lets be frank Batman doesn't need Robin. Not for in story or real world purposes. As much as I like Batman and Robin [certain versions of Robin] I was one of the fans that was very happy in the 90's when Robin was shipped off to solo island [Tim made me dislike Robin]
    I disagree. You can't compare Tim's situation to Damian's. Damian is Bruce's son and one of his biggest dreams was always to meet his father and work at his side. We clearly saw that he was heartbroken when Bruce had amnesia or when he ignored his birthday, that he was angry when Bruce made no effort to reach out to him after No Justice and that he was hurt in this issue that Bruce cares about the wellbeing of other kids, when he can't even reach out to him, while they are both grieving for Alfred.
    And Bruce without his supporting cast is boring af. A lot of people hate what King has done to the members of the batfamily.

Tomasi's Batman and Robin is beloved and still gets reprinted.
    Last edited by Ansa; 12-15-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

This is why Tim is kind of obsolete, “Batman needs a Robin” was his whole thing

I think Tim had enough of a presence in the solo title to where Batman and Robin being a team was acknowledged and you felt Robin's presence without him needing to be a 24/7 presence in the book. At least from what I've read.

Batman needs a partner. Whether it's a Robin or some character filling that role, which kind of does get into that Robin's role is essential whether Robin is fulfilling it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    I disagree. You can't compare Tim's situation to Damian's. Damian is Bruce's son and one of his biggest dreams was always to meet his father and work at his side. We clearly saw that he was heartbroken when Bruce had amnesia or when he ignored his birthday, that he was angry when Bruce made no effort to reach out to him after No Justice and that he was hurt in this issue that Bruce cares about the wellbeing of other kids, when he can't even reach out to him, while they are both grieving for Alfred.
    And Bruce without his supporting cast is boring af. A lot of people hate what King has done to the members of the batfamily.

Tomasi's Batman and Robin is beloved and still gets reprinted.
    You might find Bruce without his supporting cast boring but not everyone does. I'm not here to talk about personal preference I'm being objective.

Synder's run was more successful than King's and Tomasi's and that run had the least amount of supporting cast. That was Bruce, Alfred and Gordon as the core.

A lot of people hate what King did because a of people love the family and also Batman fans like Batman actually being a competent hero.

King did a lot more than misuse the cast he also crapped all over the batman so of course fans hate what he did.

Tomasi keeps getting reprinted yes but that doesn't mean that all fans want that in their regular comics. Tomasi's batman and Robin is one of my favourite runs but that run wasn't a regular Batman comic.

That was a run dedicated to exploring bruce as a parent. it was about Bruce and Damian getting to know each other. That's not what your regular fan wants from a batman comic.

Why do you think this notion that Bruce and Damian don't work well together comes from? From Fans who read the Tomasi run viewing it as a regular Batman and Robin team comic and therefore jumping to the conclusion that they don't partner well.

The point is that DC is a business so they are here to make money and the writers all have different ideas they want to explore. Now DC could mandate that Damian be used in all Batman stories so Bruce looks less of a douche but they prefer to give the writers creative control. Which I feel is for the best.

No writer should be forced to include a character they really don't want to use.

Fyi if King is to be believed The Bat office didn't let him use the family which could be true since King was supposed to be pushing Duke. He was the side kick in his run.

The faith of Jon kent also shows how little DC cares for Super heroes raising kids/being good parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Tim had enough of a presence in the solo title to where Batman and Robin being a team was acknowledged and you felt Robin's presence without him needing to be a 24/7 presence in the book. At least from what I've read.

Batman needs a partner. Whether it's a Robin or some character filling that role, which kind of does get into that Robin's role is essential whether Robin is fulfilling it or not.
    No. We had a lot of appearances in the Robin solo but once Tim's training was done he was mostly gone and he was missing for huge chunks and lots of big events.

Of course Tim was Robin for double the time damian was so that might contribute to why fans thought he was in the Bat books as much but he really wasn't.

batman does need someone to interact with but that could be anyone including Jim or Alfred. Writers who don't like batfamily, like batman as a loner or dislike the idea of Robin will go for Jim/Alfred or create their own.

Every new writer now comes with there own toy's they want to play with. If DC really wanted Batman and Robin together they wouldn't allow these writers to keep coming up with their own supporting cast but they like Robin away solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    This is why Tim is kind of obsolete, “Batman needs a Robin” was his whole thing
    Yep. And DC not doing anything to stop Synder outright stating otherwise is a big deal.
    That line never was a good one. It makes batman looks incompetent. if Batman needs some random kid to be his morality/stop him from going too far then he has no business being a hero. not to mention that the stories after don't reflect that.

The only robin who we can see from the stories ever making a difference is Dick Grayson.

That line was pure BS no wonder they had a stalker, lonely kid who idolised Robin say it and batman himself never once utter it. It robs batman of agency.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't know if Batman needs a Robin (the answer's no because he has a lot of adult family members now who can act as family members to protect, the voice of reasons, or to lighten the mood that used to be Robin's role) but WB wants a Robin. It's what led to Tim's creation and why Damian's brought back from the dead.

DC Comics themselves don't feel they need a Robin, because unlike in the past where kids can freely buy comics from the newsstands and double DC's sales, they're mostly available in comic shops, which are dwindling.

They're doing digital too, but since DC's main target audience seems to be longtime fans who have enough money to buy as many books about their shared universe as possible, I don't know if they even count that.

They're also doing Walmart comics and Graphic Novels but it's not their priority.

Their main attention is still on the main, shared universe, published in floppies that you have to preorder to tell them you're interested. A lot of kids and parents don't do that.

No. We had a lot of appearances in the Robin solo but once Tim's training was done he was mostly gone and he was missing for huge chunks and lots of big events.

Of course Tim was Robin for double the time damian was so that might contribute to why fans thought he was in the Bat books as much but he really wasn't.

batman does need someone to interact with but that could be anyone including Jim or Alfred. Writers who don't like batfamily, like batman as a loner or dislike the idea of Robin will go for Jim/Alfred or create their own.
    I mean, I've read a lot of 90's Batman and I felt that Robin showed up pretty frequently or was a part of Batman's adventures enough to where people would at least get the impression that they're a consistent and active duo even if Tim wasn't there.

Even beyond Jim or Alfred it feels like writers, even if they don't use Robin, have to eventually give Batman a field partner or someone to work with in the field that he can talk or bounce off to...who more often not fulfills the Robin role.
    Every new writer now comes with there own toy's they want to play with. If DC really wanted Batman and Robin together they wouldn't allow these writers to keep coming up with their own supporting cast but they like Robin away solo.
    I'm not sure DC has strong feelings about it either way.