All-New Member

Default Iktomi: a sensational,original, brand new Western/Fantasy Graphic Novel

Hi!
    I have created a new Graphic Novel called Iktomi. It's a Western/Fantasy saga taking place in the hostile and remote territories of the American Frontier. Its main protagonist is a white man-turned-Lakota-Shaman called Jack Freeman/Two Moon. He will have to fight against evil Spirits from Native American Mythology sent by a long-since-dead Priest of the Ancients (the people who inhabited North America before the Indians) called Red Horn, who wishes to unleash the Army of the Dead upon humanity so that he can rule the upper world. But Jack will also have to face the Indians' arch enemy: George Armstrong Custer and the U.S. Cavalry!
    To learn more about this sensational and unique Graphic Novel visit:
    www.iktomi.us
    facebook.com/iktomigraphicnovel
    twitter.com/iktomi3

You can also buy the first episode on Amazon for the modest price of $3.95.
    Any feedback or review will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Leo Masetti
    Attached Images Attached Images

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Oh, look: It's White Man Saves.

It sounds terrible. And condescending. And "shamans"? Really? Netherworld?

You know what Lakota don't have? Shamans and eeeeevil netherworlds.

Take this over to Pine Ridge and try to move some copies. Ought to be good for a laugh.

Seriously, that website is just insulting. I wish y'all the best in your careers and lives, but please, try to do something less racist and culturally ignorant.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Oh, look: It's White Man Saves.

It sounds terrible. And condescending. And "shamans"? Really? Netherworld?

You know what Lakota don't have? Shamans and eeeeevil netherworlds.

Take this over to Pine Ridge and try to move some copies. Ought to be good for a laugh.

Seriously, that website is just insulting. I wish y'all the best in your careers and lives, but please, try to do something less racist and culturally ignorant.
    How exactly do you see it as condescending and racist? I browsed through the website and I didnt read anything that seemed out of line. Its obviously a work of supernatural fiction.. why not let them tell their story?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    How exactly do you see it as condescending and racist? I browsed through the website and I didnt read anything that seemed out of line. Its obviously a work of supernatural fiction.. why not let them tell their story?
    I'm not stopping them.

But, yes. "Think headdresses and feathers..." "all Indians woshrip and respect nature as based on this quote from one guy..." "white man saves suspect Natives by becoming their religious leader" is condescending.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

All-New Member

First and foremost, do not call me ignorant or racist, because you are in no position to judge anybody, unless you know all the details and such, so please, before you accuse me, take a good look at yourself. Period.
    Second, not only I have great admiration and esteem towards Native Americans, but I only wish I were born 2 or 3 centuries ago amongst them, because I have studied a lot of Native American History (as well as any other times and people in History, worldwide) and I found their stories, culture, beliefs, lifestyle much much better than any of the others (Christian, Jew, Muslim or whatever) and much more spiritually evolved than any of the above mentioned religions.
    Third, I am perfectly aware of the very poor condition of the Sioux at the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota and my intentions, if this Graphic Novel is successful, are to aim at the betterment of those conditions, thanks to the popularity of my stories (if they reach that point).
    Forth, if revealed your own ignorance by saying that Native Americans don't have shamans or malevolent spirits. Yes, they do. Maybe you wanna call em Medicine Men, but the concept is the same: connecting with the spirit world. Who is the ignorant now?

The concept is not the same. Unless you think all religions are the same. Is the Pope a shaman?

I wish you the best of luck, but we don't need your help. Pine Ridge kicks ass. This is condescending.

I appreciate your passion, and the talent of those involved, but one-size-fits-all and a white savior aren't helping anyone, nor did we ask for your help. I'm not trying to suggest you're a bad, or hateful person. If I flipped this around and did it about Italians or a Chinese Protestant Christ in Portugal where all the white people are nature-worshippers in the hopes it would benefit Europe, that'd be condescending, especially if I couched it as deeply studied or considered. "Think Tyrolean hats and communion wafers."

Of y'all were hacks it might not bother me, but you aren't. This is clearly a labor if love, a personal expression, and at its core, plotwise, there's nothing that should stop it from kicking ass. That's why the surrounding misrepresentation and condescending tone concern me.

Maybe the comic will surprise me and flip everything around and I'll eat crow. I doubt it. But y'all have put together some nice enough energy, I'll happpily at least check out other things you're working on.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I'm not stopping them.

But, yes. "Think headdresses and feathers..." "all Indians woshrip and respect nature as based on this quote from one guy..." "white man saves suspect Natives by becoming their religious leader" is condescending.
    Then why complain?

You also seem to be taking things a bit out of context. What is condescending or racist about describing typical period specific garb worn by the Lakota (in a period specific story)?

Thats like saying its condescending to describe a Victorian era caucasian man wearing a bowler or top hat. Yeah, the 'outsider saving a foreign group' storyline isnt entirely new, but its a proven plot device and I understand its purpose.

All-New Member

The Jew, Christian and Muslin religions have quite a few similarities since the last two I mentioned are a direct derivation of the first. The pope is not a shaman (I hope not lol) but there are several clubs or circles or whatever these congregations of men are called, that have been pursuing the shaman way or a way to communicate with the netherworld (mostly for sinister reasons). Anyway, my intentions are not to offend or ridicule Native Americans in any way, quite the contrary. Through Native American wisdom I wish to teach white people like myself to become better persons, to be less greed and more generous, to be more sincere and altruistic. I would love your feedback and I would love to share with you the first episode I wrote. Please email me your info at info@iktomi.us and I will send you a copy of Issue #1 for free.

All-New Member

Default New Western/Fantasy Graphic Novel!

Hi,
    I have created an original Western/Fantasy Graphic Novel called IKTOMI. I would really like to get some opinions and feedbacks. Please visit my website to learn more about Iktomi www.iktomi.us
    Thanks!
    Leo Masetti

Throw some more of your character concepts up. You have some solid skills here, and your coloring is very well done. Also, if you explained in a sentence or two about what the story is actually about, we can connect it with the picture and you might receive some more comments.

All-New Member

Thanks for your feedback, it was very useful and I really appreciated. I am in the process of doing some changes to my website as we speak...

All-New Member

Default Brand new original Dark Fantasy Graphic Novel

Just finished the very first page of our new and original Dark Fantasy/Western graphic novel.
    Visit www.iktomi.us for more info.
    Any comments/feedback is greatly appreciated!
    Many thanks,
    Leo Masetti
    Creator/Writer